Mini Fun Jet build

kpl72

Definitely Beta!!!

Okay,
So I finally got some flite time on the little guy. Here's what I've learned:

THE BAD:
1) I had the CG WAY too far forward, causing very sluggish flight - moved back and it's working better. I'll post when I find the sweet spot

2) Ailerons to the wing tip --- BAD IDEA - tips stalls like mad. I am going to cut the last 2.5" on each aileron and fix in place with slight wash out. If that works as hoped, I'll make a new wing. I had to reduce aileron throws and fly with the tailerons active for roll - worked pretty good. Once I modify the wing, I'll also make sure I have a fair amount of aileron differential. The down aileron, especially extended to the tip, causes a lot of yaw. Combined with tip stalliness - bad juju.

3) Underpowered. It flies OK with the 1806, 2300kv, but needs almost 80-90% power to fly decent. I'm going to update the motor to a Park 370 Zoom. Since the CG was off, this will actually work because I have plenty of room to move the battery to offset the heavier motor.

THE GOOD:

1) Really rugged design. Since the wing is not permantly attached, it has survived many trees, a split rail fence, and a stall/spin from 20ft. Nose is a littled dented, but not much. Wing moves on impact, really minimizing damage.

2) Design is easy to tweak - new wing is just that, nothing else to mod or change - I like that.

3) Tailerons work well - to tame the tip stall, I cut wayyy back on aileron throw, and it handled well

4) Looks really cool in the air....

New update when I get the wing mod done and bigger motor....

Kevin

Last edited:

Hell2Go

I'm still waiting on my receivers from Banggood.com and better weather. still snowing here:( I hope to maiden someday soon!

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm still waiting on my receivers from Banggood.com and better weather. still snowing here:( I hope to maiden someday soon!

I can't take it anymore. I thought I might finally get to fly today but its raining and snowing at the same time after 2 days of rain. How far will I have to drive to see the sun? :)

kpl72

I can't take it anymore. I thought I might finally get to fly today but its raining and snowing at the same time after 2 days of rain. How far will I have to drive to see the sun? :)

I hope it's better there than here. I'm headed to Warwick Mon-Wed - was really hoping to not see snow!

JohnRambozo

I hope it's better there than here. I'm headed to Warwick Mon-Wed - was really hoping to not see snow!

Warwick... RI? Cool! I cant promise no snow. It snowed last night and the day before again... Spring in New England is always crap for weather. Maybe in June. lol.

They're saying Rain on Monday, Cloudy Tuesday and Sunny Wednesday. There might be a chance to fly. I can recommend a nice big public park to fly if you're trying to get some air time. Its about 10 minutes south of Warwick.

Let me know if you go, we could meet up. I've never actually had the opportunity to share the air.

Last edited:

ClearSkiesCalmWinds

Come to AZ, It's always sunny in southern AZ. Even if it rains the sun will be out an hour or two later. What a paradise. Oh! Did I forget to mention it's 120 degrees in the shade. But it's a dry heat. :black_eyed:

kpl72

MUCH BETTER!!!

Got a chance to test the new configuration today. I cut down the ailerons so they stop 2.5" from the tip - definitely not as tip stall prone as it was. I also upgraded to a park 370 zoom (1900kv) with a 7x6 prop and a 1500mah battery. Balance is about 4" back from the leading edge.

Flies really well, and scoots along a 50% throttle. landings need to be made with power on, doesn't glide all that well (kinda a lead sled). I need to rebuild the wing, it's got a little twist in it from early crashes. With a new wing I suspect it will handle even better.

You really need to heave it on launch. The first launch I didn't throw it hard enough, and when I gunned the throttle, it promptly torque rolled onto its back and nosed in. It's durable though, I just picked it up, chucked it really hard, and off it went.

I only had an iPhone for video, so it's really sub-par. I'm traveling the next few days, so I probably won't have an update until next weekend.

Happy Flying.

ttprigg

Hello KLP72
We had similar results yesterday... How much did you change the thrust angle (washers on the top or the bottom)?
Thanks-

kpl72

Hello KLP72
We had similar results yesterday... How much did you change the thrust angle (washers on the top or the bottom)?
Thanks-

TTPRIGG - I put 2 thin washers on the top, one on each side, none on bottom. My mounting plate is an + style.

Would love to see photos...

JohnRambozo

That looks like a fun little plane. Fast and durable. I'd bet moving the cg forward a hair would help with the squirreliness. Is that a word?

Hell2Go

Nice little video kpl72... had 65mph winds yesterday... still waiting for receivers, order got screwed up... from the look of your video, plane needs to be a little bigger to reduce the squirreliness ( I guess its a word now that 2 people have used it) I think a 150% version will be just right. I'll start on that in the near future as I'm in the middle of a few other builds at the moment. I saw a picture of a cartoon scale plane in Model Aviation and fell in love with it. So I ordered the kit and am working on that presently. cartoon%20kits.jpg

Its made from depron, or DTF and the kit contains vacuum formed body parts, really a cool kit available at http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_62&products_id=568 for $30.00 a real deal in my opinion!
check them out.

kpl72

Cartoon Scale

That is very cool, I will definitely check it out.

I put a new wing on the plane with the bottom panel going all the way to the tip. Plane handles much, much better. I think the sweep of the wing and undercamber acted too much like washin (the opposite of washout) - made it very tip stall prone. With the new wing it handles much better.

That being said, I agree, I think 150 would be even better, and probably fly more like I was hoping...Just finished my Mini-Guinea - hope to maiden that tomorrow....

Kevin

Hell2Go

I also bought a 3D printer kit and been building and tweaking it. Just started printing out some parts for my planes with it. Definitely a good investment! Got $400.00 into it and a couple weeks of "spare time" to build, not bad considering a prebuilt version is $1500-2000!!!

I printed some FT firewalls and a few sets of wheels from the FT Storch.

I'm learning myself how to use sketchup, ( a free drawing program) and then I can print what I draw... The possibilities are endless!

Hell2Go

between my son and I, we have at least 10 planes ready to fly and another 4 when parts get here... just need compatible weather and our field to dry out and we'll be getting busy with the flying...

kpl72

Wing Tips

you think I should fill in the under-camber on my wingtips before I maiden?

I don't know if I'd fill in the under-camber, you may have better luck with your design (I had a reverse taper on the bottom panel). You may want to shorten the ailerons by cutting about 2.5" from the tip and gluing the tip portion in place with a little washout. I used a small triangle piece of foam to fill the bevel. Seemed to work well.

I LOVE 3D printing. We have 4 at work now, and I've used them for a few things on the planes, mainly a FT mini firewall, a X mount for a emax motor, and a nose gear mount for my Mini-Guinea (which maidened today...Video to come).

I use TinkerCad (free, browser based software) for most of my parts and found it works very well. I even may a GoPro fairing for our SkyEye drone that we are using for aerial mapping (another work-related project - love my job).

Has any one started an .STL dump for FT related designs? If not we should - maybe just a thread.

Was a beautiful day here for flying, 68, light winds, and blue all day long. Flew my Mini Guinea and my Mini Scout.

Kevin