Mini Tricopter Yaw Problems

shermanhartman

Balsa Splinter Generator
A while back, i started building this: http://flitetest.com/articles/mini-tricptr-3d-printed-tricopter Mini tricopter. Everything went together nicely, and after a little tweaking, it flies. But i was having a lot of problems with the yaw tuning.

This is using the MINI MWC Flight Control Board and DSM2 Receiver from HobbyKing and tuning it through the multiwii GUI.

I got frustrated with it, and gave up on it about a month ago, and now im ready to mess with it again. The problem that I am having is that when i turn down the P setting on the yaw axis gyro, i lose control authority over the tail. Since the tri is so small, it oscillates very easily. Turning the P setting down to about 1.8-1.9 stops the oscillating, but that low, it gives me little control over the tail. I tried installing a different version of multiwii but that didnt change anything. I dont know what im doing wrong and ive never seen anyone else have this problem. Anybody have any ideas?
-sherman

califrag

Is there a yaw rate setting on the Mini MWC ? I havent messed with that FC but the Naze32 has a "yaw rate" setting you can increase which I think would help counteract the effect you are describing caused by reducing the yaw P. i'm currently building a mini tri myself so I'll let ya know if I notice the same issues on mine and if I'm able to fix it.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I haven't done a tri yet but yeah, MW is the same as Naze on that. You should have a Rate setting for Yaw that you can increase.

shermanhartman

Balsa Splinter Generator
I dug through the code and couldnt find anything. So i googled 'Multiwii yaw rate" and as it turns out, the adjustment is in the multiwii GUI. So all i have to do is adjust it there. Thanks for the help califrag! Ill report back if it flies better or not!