Minwax Spray - a faster, less messy way to waterproof foamboard?

F2G2Corsair

Hi everyone. I've been lurking on Flite Test for some time, and thought I'd share an idea I have. I've been experimenting with many waterproofing methods for my swappables, and I've come across a method I haven't seen used before.

I'm sure you've heard of using polyurathane minwax to waterproof a plane, but did you know they sell minwax spray too? I decided to try it on a few scraps of foamboard, and I've found it to be hit or miss, but when it works it's just as good as regular minwax. Typically I stand with the nozzle about a foot away from the plane and slowly circle the aircraft while spraying every last inch of it, which takes about 15 to 30 seconds, then I let it dry, flip it over and repeat. If you get too close the paper comes off the foam immediately and warps it, so be careful and practice a few times. I did this outside on a sheet of cardboard just so you know. I've found this method to be faster and cleaner than applying minwax with a brush (did you notice the Top Gun reference lol).

I noticed the Clear Gloss minwax spray doesn't require you to shake the can for 2 minutes before use, unlike the Clear Satin kind. I plan to use this method on my next build, a swappable Pizza Box Flyer.

One last thing, don't try using minwax spray in a windstorm. It was nice and convenient at first because the wind pinned the foamboard to a fence for me, but the moment the wind shifts it's gonna spray all over you lol! I was just lucky it didn't... And don't leave your plane out to dry at sunset, if the temperature changes it'll turn into a taco! :p

Last edited:

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
i was also wondering about the spray. if you got good results i might try the same on a foam board north-star i'm drawing up

rorak

From my understanding its the propellant in the can that makes the paper come off. If as you said you hold it a foot or more away the propellant evaporates before it hits the foamboard, also use lighter coats. I think Chad talks about it in the painting foamboard episode of Flite Test, Im assuming minwax uses the same propellant as spray paint.(I could be wrong)
Paul

con244

Did I misunderstand the application instructions of the canned stuff? I thought it was necessary to wipe the excess off to avoid too much added weight. Does spraying help keep the weight down?
Con

rorak

I would think you would still want to wipe it down, however I dont think much came off when I wiped mine down.
Paul

con244

With the addition of spraying thinners the spray on product would dry very quickly stopping you from wiping of any excess before it starts to dry which would leave a rough finish. Maybe over there in the cooler weather this may work but in the 110+F that we have here, I'm not sure the spray on would be a goer. Maybe in winter??? I though the whole idea was to actually soak the paper to make it waterproof. I have used spray paint on foamboard models with no problems and think that this is probably just the same but with a clear coat.
Con

F2G2Corsair

I haven't been wiping down the foamboard I sprayed with minwax, and I've repeatedly tested it by dunking it under a water faucet with no effect. As far as temperature goes, I've had trouble with rapid cooling at sunset causing warping, but I'll have to wait a few months before I can do high temp testing. I don't know if minwax spray is lighter than the brushing technique, but I would think it wouldn't be a big difference.

Last edited: