Mirage 2000 mk2, 64mm edf jet

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
This is my second and improved version of the Mirage 2000, the collab between @Captain Jay and myself. There was many problems on the first one so I redesigned the whole thing. This is my second delta ever so lets see how this turns out. The dimensions are also pretty close to the actual mirage 2000 now. The main difference being that I have the proper light weight foam now. Also this is my first cnc cut plane cut on my recently finished router. This build is 3 sheets of foam, small and cute.

Attachments

• P1320611.JPG
    P1320611.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • mirage.PNG
    mirage.PNG
    300.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P1320650.JPG
    P1320650.JPG
  • P1320651.JPG
    P1320651.JPG

Captain Jay

Elite member
This is my second and improved version of the Mirage 2000, the collab between @Captain Jay and myself. There was many problems on the first one so I redesigned the whole thing. This is my second delta ever so lets see how this turns out. The dimensions are also pretty close to the actual mirage 2000 now. The main difference being that I have the proper light weight foam now. Also this is my first cnc cut plane cut on my recently finished router. This build is 3 sheets of foam, small and cute.
Since I crashed and destroyed my inspirational Mirage 2000 2 weeks ago, I'm going to build this one. Of course I am... How can I not??? I can't wait to get started!!!

JustPlaneChris

That looks fantastic! I also see that you seem to be using Fusion 360. If you have time, I'd love some tips on how you are ending up with flat patterns using Fusion 360. I spent most of my Sunday trying to get a lofted fuselage design to work, with no luck!

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
That looks fantastic! I also see that you seem to be using Fusion 360. If you have time, I'd love some tips on how you are ending up with flat patterns using Fusion 360. I spent most of my Sunday trying to get a lofted fuselage design to work, with no luck!
If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer it :)

JustPlaneChris

If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer it :)
Thanks! Specifically, I have not figured out how to create a flat pattern in Fusion 360 despite hours of Googling and reading forum threads. I even resorted to reading the Fusion help documentation! ;)

Annoyingly, it's pretty easy in Solidworks (which I recently installed). I've just been using Fusion 360 longer, so I'm much more comfortable drawing complex shapes in it. I have toyed with the sheet metal functions, which initially seemed promising but fizzled. I've now spent probably 10 hours fiddling with it and have nothing to show for it other than a cramped mouse hand! :confused:

Last edited:

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
Thanks! Specifically, I have not figured out how to create a flat pattern in Fusion 360 despite hours of Googling and reading forum threads. I even resorted to reading the Fusion help documentation! ;)

Annoyingly, it's pretty easy in Solidworks (which I recently installed). I've just been using Fusion 360 longer, so I'm much more comfortable drawing complex shapes in it. I have toyed with the sheet metal functions, which initially seemed promising but fizzled. I've now spent probably 10 hours fiddling with it and have nothing to show for it other than a cramped mouse hand! :confused:

Unfortunately there is no tool for unwraping surfaces in fusion, like in solidworks. You need to use meshmixer for that. There is the flat pattern for sheet metal but loft tool doesnt exist in sheet metal environment

JustPlaneChris

Thank you sir! At least now I know I'm not crazy (or a complete idiot) for not being able to figure it out. :)
I may try the Meshmixer approach, I have bookmarked a couple of video tutorials on how to do that.

Now get back to work on that Mirage. ;)

a.lord

Thank you sir! At least now I know I'm not crazy (or a complete idiot) for not being able to figure it out. :)
I may try the Meshmixer approach, I have bookmarked a couple of video tutorials on how to do that.

Now get back to work on that Mirage. ;)
I'm by no means an expert, but i have been able to loft a fuselage and make it into plans via the following method:
1. Loft fuselage in Fusion from former to former.
2. Save each shell between formers as an STL.
3. Import each STL into Meshmixer and use the unwrap function.
4. Export the meshmixer file as an Inkscape SVG.
5. In inkscape, scale the drawing to make it the correct size (it's usually about 3-7% smaller, for some reason).

Give it a shot, it's worked for me so far.

JustPlaneChris

Thanks! That's the process I found in a couple of tutorials, which were for (of all things) foam patterns for Cosplay costumes! :LOL:
The decision I have to make is whether the extra Meshmixer step will consume more time than learning the commands to draw things in Solidworks... :unsure:

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
Thanks! That's the process I found in a couple of tutorials, which were for (of all things) foam patterns for Cosplay costumes! :LOL:
The decision I have to make is whether the extra Meshmixer step will consume more time than learning the commands to draw things in Solidworks... :unsure:
Yep, solidworks is definetily a much further developed software than fusion, there are quite a few features that Im missing in fusion...The main reason why Im using mainly fusion and not sw is because I dont want to get dependent on such expensive software which I wont have access to after I lose my student lisence

JustPlaneChris

Yep, solidworks is definetily a much further developed software than fusion, there are quite a few features that Im missing in fusion...The main reason why Im using mainly fusion and not sw is because I dont want to get dependent on such expensive software which I wont have access to after I lose my student lisence
I have access to SW through my EAA membership. It's a cheap way to get access!
https://eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
A few more things and its done. I was not able to bend the intake from one peace without bad creases so I split the intake part into 3 section. Unwraping a large piece is always risky move and there is often some disortion. The canopy fitting is kinda off, as always.

Attachments

• P1320666.JPG
    P1320666.JPG
  • P1320667.JPG
    P1320667.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0

Captain Jay

Elite member
A few more things and its done. I was not able to bend the intake from one peace without bad creases so I split the intake part into 3 section. Unwraping a large piece is always risky move and there is often some disortion. The canopy fitting is kinda off, as always.
It's looking good. Canopies are hard and I don't really like them either. I think is going to fly. Perfectly. I suggest try to stiffen the elevons with mylay in the middle of 2 foam strips for strength. They'll need to be strong.. good luck on the maiden flight!!

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
The mirage is finished and plans waiting for approval. I flew it a couple of times, last weekend, but the conditions were bad (dark/windy) so it did not show its best performance yet, it is fast though. I'm going to fly it more soon and get some video of the flights. The mirage ended up being quite nice, but the build experience can still be improved. I changed the plans somewhat for that. Here are some numbers for the mirage:

Lenght: 810 mm
Wingspan: 550 mm
Weight: about 600g
Static thrust: about 850g at 45a

My stuff:

fms 11 blade 3150kv edf
4s 1400 45c battery
2x sg90 servo
60amp esc

Attachments

• P1320674.JPG
    P1320674.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0

Captain Jay

Elite member
The mirage is finished and plans waiting for approval. I flew it a couple of times, last weekend, but the conditions were bad (dark/windy) so it did not show its best performance yet, it is fast though. I'm going to fly it more soon and get some video of the flights. The mirage ended up being quite nice, but the build experience can still be improved. I changed the plans somewhat for that. Here are some numbers for the mirage:

Lenght: 810 mm
Wingspan: 550 mm
Weight: about 600g
Static thrust: about 850g at 45a

My stuff:

fms 11 blade 3150kv edf
4s 1400 45c battery
2x sg90 servo
60amp esc
Looks great!!! Looking forward to seeing the video...