Mode 1 or Mode 2

Tkenyo

Hello sorry for another basic question that i have no understanding on and that is which transmitter mode is easier to fly, i am aware it may be down to personal choice but i bought a mode 1 transmitter was that a bad idea for a beginner or a good idea i have no idea. Your thoughts would be appreciated (might get a mode 2 radio if i have to)

Things i am taking into account

[*]Which mode is easier to fly
  • why shouly or shouldnt i change
  • Is it all up to personal choice or is there different fuction to them

Regards Tom

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
No mode is easier.
Go for the mode that is common in your area.
If you need any practical help, you are better with the same mode as everybody around.
It is normally not hard to change mode on a transmitter - but is is hard to learn the other way if you are trained in one mode.

Tkenyo

No mode is easier.
Go for the mode that is common in your area.
If you need any practical help, you are better with the same mode as everybody around.
It is normally not hard to change mode on a transmitter - but is is hard to learn the other way if you are trained in one mode.

Fair enough good thing no one flies in my area got a choice

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
..no one flies in my area..
I do not believe you ;-)
People fly in arctis and antartis -do you live in an area where it is forbidden to fly?
Or is your area restricted to your room?

Most europe and US uses mode 2. "Down under" is mode 1 common - so are parts of france and other regions.
Modes 3 and 4 are normally used for special planes/copters - there are acually 8 modes in some transmitters (read mpx).
But you are normally only talking about if the throttle is right (1 and 3) or left (2 and 4).

Tell where you live and you will get answeres from people knowing more about your area preferenses.

rockets4kids

I have seen quite a few references which seem to indicate that Mode 1 is as common in Europe as Mode 2 here is in the US. Is that not the case?

RoyBro

Mentor
Fair enough good thing no one flies in my area got a choice

Instead of thinking "area" think "country" or "continent". If you do get a chance to fly with others in your part of the world, you will want to use the same mode transmitter as everyone else. It is common to swap planes in such cases and it will be easier and more sociable if you fly the same way as everyone else.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
As to easiest, that is a matter of choice. On my V929 quad I fly mode 4 yaw on left, roll on right. It "makes sense" to me.
I fly mode 2 on fixed wing, because having the elevator and aileron set the same as a full scale also makes sense.

It is definitely personal preference, but don't be afraid to try different modes for different types of aircraft.

Last edited:

rockets4kids

It is also worth noting that the only *real* difference in the hardware is which side does not have the center return for throttle. I understand that at one time the return-to-center could be swapped on most controllers, but now it seems that most controllers are fixed, or at least not easily swappable. You should be able to swap mode 2 amd mode 4 in software, or even by fudging it and changing where you plug in your servos.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I live in America and I fly Mode 1. Technically Mode 3. I accidentally bought a Mode 1 Tx but I actually like it better than I would Mode 2. I like that I can hand launch with my right hand while my left thumb is on elevator and aileron. I just use my mouth for throttle during the hand launch. Plus most video games have the throttle on the right and the steering on the left, so I'm used to that. Not that I can't learn the other way around.

It only really matters if you're going to fly with or around other people that fly. Even then you can be the odd ball. I just fly at my parents farm and I don't plan on joining a club. If I ever go to an event I'm not going to fly. So it doesn't matter which I use.

Neither is easier.