Monster sized Fock-Wulf FW-42

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
or you could go for the challenge and do it as a taildragger :p

Could always do it with a mono wheel. After all if a skate boarder that usually skates on 4 wheels can do it on one now surely Rockyboy who is used to belly landers can. Or at the very least two in line wheels in the under carriage.

@Rockboy.. I suspect the AUW weight will fall somewhere between too much and not enough so there is plenty of wiggle room to work with. I am sure this will get in the air be it by RC motors or Briggs and Stratton. :p

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
LOL!!

I think I threw away my inline skates about 20 years ago - knew I should have hung on to them :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I still have mine I can donate if needed. I am not about to be gettin back on them in this life time.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Starting to cut out the canard ribs and templates for the fuselage hot wire cutting.

20171120_113812-1024x576.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'll get some pictures loaded tonight, but I'm slowly making progress on this while in the holiday season of reduced hobby time.

So I have all the fuselage templates and canard ribs cut out. I started cutting slabs of foam for the fuselage, and the sheer volume of foam involved started to spook me. So I think I'm going to switch from a solid foam fuselage to box construction with the 1.5" foam board and a couple bulkhead reinforcements to hold the square shape.

The other thing I realized when chopping down these large foam blocks is even though I'm not planning to do complex wing curves from the solid foam, I really ought to build a hot wire cutter to get straight cuts.

So I did some research on that and ordered in some nichrome wire and an appropriate sized transformer and dimmer switch. Already have a foot pedal that will work.

Once I get the hot wire together, it'll be time to get the fuselage slabs and bulkheads cut to size and start gluing some stuff together. :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
After lots of holiday family diversions I finally got a chance tk work on this a little in the last few days.

First up I finished building a hot wire bow and power supply. 20171231_091110-1024x576.jpg
20171231_091053-1024x576.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Then I cut a bunch of slabs of foam to rough size and stuck them together with double sided carpet tape. The fuselage nose template edges were covered with aluminum ducting tape. Then the templates were attached to the top and bottom of the foam block. And then turn up the hot wire and cut out the main shape.
20171231_091721-1024x576.jpg 20171231_091151-1024x576.jpg 20171231_092534-1024x576.jpg 20171231_092819-1024x576.jpg 20171231_093917_HDR-1024x576.jpg 20171231_094714-1024x576.jpg

Before cutting out the rest of the fuselage i need to pick up a sheet of 1 inch thick foam so it will stack to the right height without needing an extra cut.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Man this thing is huge... The wiring for the turrets literally spans the length of my living room. Got 10 core ribbon cable with lighter non solid core on the way in hopes of stopping killing power components. I think the solid core over that distance is adding just enough resistance or possible inductance into adjacent wires with the current draws. Will be hitting that again Thursday when the cables arrive.

For now I spent new years eve building that FT3d I got way back in FFE16 before the foam gets to warped to be viable. Had to borrow one of the power pack C halves from the stuff we got for the mini FW 42 since its been dormant all this time. Will replace that in February so we can get a mini 42 up before spring.

I think motivation is finally returning. Who knows maybe I will get something useful accomplished this week. :rolleyes: (Looking at thermometer and out the window.. -2 with ~ 8 inches of snow left..) think I can do a maiden indoors if I use a slow fly prop on that FT3d...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yeah except I am not a winter person. I have only ventured outside the last 2+ weeks to dump garbage. I have not even gone to the mailbox.
When temps get back over 20 -30 I may THINK about going out until then I'm good in my comfy chair underneath my Steelers blanket.

Thats why I made sure the new wire is coming by UPS so they come to my door and I don't have to walk out to the mailbox.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I hear you brother. I woke up to 13 degrees outside, and a house heater struggling to get things up to 65 degrees downstairs. Not civilized at all. Wifey is especially not amused.

I heard someone else put it as "I'm waiting till the temperature reaches my age before I go outside again" which is a pretty good rule of thumb I think.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So, I found a clean spot on the workbench and it's time to get back to work on this one.
20180124_223344-1024x576.jpg

Next up was wrapping aluminum ducting tape around the rest of the DTFB formers for the hotwire
20180125_165453_HDR-1024x576.jpg

Cutting out enough blank chunks of foam to rough out the rest of the fuselage.
20180125_165438-1024x576.jpg

I had to cut some straight ends on the blanks to connect them together. Not shown is I have them staggered in length so there is at least a 6" to 8" overlapping seam rather than all of the slabs lining up for a single (weak) vertical seam.
20180125_195034-1024x576.jpg

Then it was time to clamp the new slabs to the old slabs and clamp that to the table.
20180125_204906-1024x576.jpg

And hotwire!! This side is rough cut.
20180125_203823-1024x576.jpg

Needed to step back to family duty for the evening, but tomorrow I'll do the rough cut on the other side.

Then I'm going to take a couple pieces in the middle out of the pile and cut some long channels for routing wires. And cut out the top layer or two of the turret holes. Then add a couple long wood strip spars before sealing the pieces together and cutting the angled parts of the windshield, nose, and tail.

And then put this part to the side while I build a canard.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks!

One thing I wish I could figure out is better a method to securely - but temporarily - hold all the layers of foam together. I've tried double sided carpet tape - and it works for a little while, but it can take a lot of pieces and it doesn't really keep it's staying power after a couple weeks (yes, I build kind of slow). And it also doesn't help with registration at all if I take it apart and want to put it back together again.

What I would like is something like several thin threaded rods with washer & nuts I could run through all the layers to keep them in place, and then pull out a foam layer to do some internal cutting, and then put it back in the stack and do some carving, and repeat as necessary until I'm sure all the electrical and control linkages and structural supports are in the right place before I permanently glue it all together.

But with a threaded rod solution it's going to cost something at the hardware store (pricey little things), and I'd have to cut them to very specific heights to have the ends recessed into the top and bottom layers so it can still sit flat on a bench while working, which will leave some good sized plugs to fill and odd length threaded rod bits that might not be reusable for the next project.

And maybe this is the best solution until I become such a proficient builder I can make all the cuts and channels and holes at once and never need to go backwards, but I'm hoping someone else will have a better idea...

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Im on my 4th large build and the sitting and just thinking about the internal structure and how your going to fit everything or get into areas...thats what takes forever on the builds for me. The order of operations i guess...when to do each part or cut or gluing.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I was hoping that part would get easier with practice! It's almost as much 'sit and stare' time as picking a covering scheme is for me!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hey Rockyboy. What about using long wooden dowels. Cheap enough and all you would need was to drill a hole thru them for a nail then slide a fender washer on. Feed that thru your blanks at 3 or 4 locations then pin and repeat the nail / washer on the top side.