Monster sized Fock-Wulf FW-42

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
It sure doesn't feel small when trying to pick it up :D

Do you happen to remember the brand on the shocks? I need to get some much heavier duty springs for them - once the wing panels went on, she bottomed out the shocks :eek:
Look who made an appearance at our club meeting last night! She looks great in person. @rockyboy is doing a great job with the build and he had tons of questions from the peanut gallery (especially the old balsa guys :p)

Looks great! In fact, she looks like a plane seeking a maiden date ;)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
How heavy is this bird right now?
Last weigh in was a little shy of 20 pounds - but that was before paint.

Yeah... Bob is certainly a character. Not a fan of the foam, that's for sure. Don't let him bug you... he's been set in his ways since before we were born :p.

It's sort of fun to poke him with the foam once in a while. :D I still ask him lots of questions on more advanced balsa and giant scale stuff to make sure he knows I appreciate him. ;)

I cant recall for sure if they were the original shocks or after markets I swapped out for thinner ones.

If you measure the diameter of the spring and or the oil resevoir you can go to Amain and match the sizes. They are standardized so no crazy variations. Stock 1/8th scale buggy shocks.

Spring tensions are color coded for stiffness. You can get single colors or pack with soft, med, hard. Also there are thicker oils to help with the compression once the springs can support the static weight. Again stock oils so pretty light.

Thanks - that helps a lot! All this surface stuff is a foreign land to me :D

Looks great! In fact, she looks like a plane seeking a maiden date ;)

Yeah, she's getting closer... I'd like to get the nacelle covers on pre-maiden.. but all I really need to do is add tougher springs, the receiver, BEC & receiver battery, and main battery hold downs once I know where the CG is. Need to visit @wilmracer and use his CG vanessa rig once his garage thaws out :p

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Finally thawed out in the shop a bit and I'm mostly over my sinus infection. Time to make a little more progress in the shop! :D

First was adding the connecting pin setup on the other wing panel, and doing a quick spackle and sand on the edge.
20190207_152041-1024x576.jpg

Fits nicely now - pin goes in and holds everything tight!
20190207_194623-1024x576.jpg

Next is a double coat of release agent on the mold. That's going to need to dry overnight.
20190207_152307-1024x576.jpg

Cut out layers of 3/4oz and 1.5oz and 2oz fiberglass so I'm ready for a smooth epoxy session tomorrow.
20190207_201907-1024x576.jpg

And how's this for a nice touch on the tail?
20190207_200621-1024x576.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nice one with the logo. Where ya puttin the Rockyboy Penguin logo.

Hope you get to start flying soon. That will mean I will be able to go outside not long after.

Got a dry minute here and put 2 packs to maoden my new build. Not a good average for me one pack a month so far.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Nice one with the logo. Where ya puttin the Rockyboy Penguin logo.

Hope you get to start flying soon. That will mean I will be able to go outside not long after.

Got a dry minute here and put 2 packs to maoden my new build. Not a good average for me one pack a month so far.
I'm thinking penguins on the side with the Team Luftwaffe logo :D

I'm hoping to get out flying Saturday - it's been mid 50's or higher for the last couple days here, and while it's going down to the 30's again this weekend I really want to get some air time going for February.

i like it! how'd you make it? any issue if i copied that on my b-36?

I printed out the great artwork from @AircPirateTomadai over in this team thread onto waterslide decal paper. By all means, please download and print away! :D

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Time to get the radio setup! I'm using a Taranis X9D+ with OpenTX - might as well show everyone how the model is setup :D

First interesting stuff happens in the Flight Modes tab. Here I've assigned Global Variables for all the rates for the different control surfaces, and my expo level on the Flight Mode 0 tab. On the Flight Mode 1 tab all the rate values ratchet up to 80%, and on the Flight Mode 2 tab I take them to 100% to start. After a maiden flight, depending on how sensitive she is I will make adjustments here to calm down the rates of various control surfaces. For anyone not familiar with OpenTX, Flight Mode 0 is active by default and on each of the other Flight Mode tabs there is a switch assignment to activate it - I use SB mid for the 80% "Firm" and SB Down for the 100% "Touchy" settings.

Screenshot 2019-02-18 22.51.22-1280x720.png

Next in order is the inputs. It doesn't really matter what order these go in, but there are a couple neat things I do here.

First, you'll see where each Input line has an "Expo (GV3:Epx)" - that means it's going to apply expo based on the Global Variable 3:Exp value - which in the screen show above is set for 30%. I usually set the high rates expo just a little higher at 35%, and this way the expo setting whichever flight mode is active is applied to the Rudder / Elevator / Aileron stick movements.

Also, I setup cross trims here - for example the Rudder input is using TrmA which is the Aileron trim tab for it's settings. This means I can keep my right hand on the stick and move the trim buttons on my left stick with my left hand - no reaching across the radio and accidentally hitting the power button!

And finally, here's the first part of my Throttle cut setup - the first line in the Thr section says to use the full weight of the Throttle stick with no trim only when Logical Switch 20 (L20) is active. If that condition is not true, it goes to the next line which says if Logical Switch 20 is not active (!L20) then apply Curve number 4 to the throttle value. And while I didn't screen shot it here, Curve 4 is a flat line at -100% value - so no matter where I move the stick up and down, there is still a value of -100 going out the throttle input. More on the throttle cut later...

Screenshot 2019-02-18 22.50.01-1280x720.png

Here's the heart of the control chain - the mixes! This is where we determine what goes out each channel. I've named each channel next to the channel number (can only use 6 characters so it's short hand). Then I identify the input, or combination of inputs, and modifiers that go with each channel.

Most of these are pretty simple - for Aileron Right (AilR) take the Aileron (I4:Ail) stick input and apply the GV1:ARa rate multipler to it. This way when I'm in flight mode 0 the value I've got in the GV1 variable will be applied to the right aileron channel. Repeat that general idea for right and left ailerons, rudder and nose servos, and the right and left canards.

The right and left throttle (ThrR and ThL) are setup a little differently. The first line of each mix says bring in the full value of the Thr input stick (which from before could be locked at -100 if the throttle cut logical switch is on). The next line says subtract 25% of the Rudder stick value from the throttle if switch SD is in the middle position. The third line says make that a 50% adjustment if the SD switch is down. So when the SD switch is up (it's a 3 position switch) the throttle value goes out normally without any rudder input. The end effect of this? Differential thrust! When I move the SD switch and hit the rudder, the engines throttle up and down on each side to help yaw the plane around. :D

Now could I have done this differential thrust setup with a Global Variable and Flight Modes? Not while keeping it on a separate switch from the high/medium/low rates. Only 1 Flight Mode can be active at a time, so I could create some complicated logical switches driven by both switch SB and SD setup and use Flight Mode 4 to be low rates but mid differential thrust, etc - but this was a simpler way to get differential thrust on it's own switch.

Screenshot 2019-02-18 22.50.08-1280x720.png

Here we come to the Logical Switches. Yes, I have lots of unused switches in the middle. That's because when I first started using this style of Throttle Cut I copied it from someone else who used Switches L19 and L20 - and I didn't understand how it worked enough to mess with changing it. Now it's just sort of handy to keep the same logical switches for all of my planes.

So the first Logical Switch L01 is only active when SE and SH are both in the down position. When we get to the Special Functions you'll see what that does.

Logical Switch L03 only goes active the instant that switch SF is held down for 1.5 seconds. I can hold switch SF for 1 second and it doesn't trigger the logical switch, and if I hold it for 3 or 4 or 5 seconds it still only triggers Logical Switch L03 once at the instant it crosses the 1.5 second timer. More on what I use that for in the Special Functions section.

L19 and L20 work together to add some spice to the throttle cut function. Starting with L19, you can see it will only be evaluated as True if the Thr input value is less than -98 - so only when the stick is all the way down, allowing for a tiny bit of sensor bounce. Remember our friend L20 was used back in the Inputs section to force the use of a -100 value (via curve). So looking at the L20 definition below, L20 can only be evaluated as true is switch SA is not up (!SA up arrow). The other part of L20 using the or statement with L19 and L20 and the .5 second delay are magic to me - I've seen a deep discussion of how the logic is evaluated, and it works, but honestly I couldn't explain it to you now. The end effect is that the only way to activate L20 and thus activate the throttle is to move switch SA and put the throttle stick all the way down. Then with the SA switch still in place, the throttle can go up and down and everything works normally. But if switch SA moves then L20 goes false and the throttle value is forced to be -100 via the curve on the input line. Make sense? Good. :D

Screenshot 2019-02-18 22.50.53-1280x720.png

The Special Functions! Here's another area where there are lots of blank spaces - but for a different reason. I used to have almost all of these lines filled in with triggers for sound files - but I've moved to using specially named sound files in a folder with the same name as the model instead of a line here for every one. The big advantage of this is it uses less RAM memory space in the transmitter - and I did hit a limit at one point where I had too many complicated models (I think around 40ish) and it wouldn't let me add any more. I could have grabbed a second SD card, but by doing this named sound file method I was able to free up RAM and keep on going :D

So, Special Function 5 (SF5) is still here, and it only triggers when Logical Switch 1 (L01) goes active. And remembering above, L01 only goes active when I put SE up and then hold the SH switch as well. If I do that, it triggers the Instant Trim feature - which after some experimenting I'm not a bit fan of.

Special Function 14 and 15 are here to make sure if I have differential thrust on and the throttle cut is active, no rudder values make their way out to the motors. I could have also done this by adding a line to the Rudder Input value just like the Throttle to force it to Curve 4 when the throttle cut is active, but then I couldn't test out the rudder servo on the ground before activating the throttle. Gotta be able to do the crap check, right?

The last pair of Special Functions 19 and 20 are only triggered when logical switch L03 goes active - and we remember that only goes active when switch SF is held down for 1.5 seconds (or longer). When that happens it resets the timers. I also have a global radio setting (not in this model, but active for all models) that says moving switch SF down causes the radio to speak out the values of the timers. This way the single two position switch does 2 functions - when I just quickly flick the switch it reads out my timer value. When I hold the switch down it will reset the timers. I also have a sound file named correctly that says "Reset" when the timers get reset. Very handy for when I forget to reset the timer until after I've already taken off :p

Screenshot 2019-02-18 22.51.05-1280x720.png

There are a couple other global radio functions that I can explain if people are interested, but this is all the special sauce for the model at this point.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Will the bacon and eggs be fully cooked and plated after it lands or will there be a delay during taxiing?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
No pictures tonight, but I installed the aileron control horns and linkage. Finally got a 4-40 die to put threads on the control rods. There are still a little bit of sanding and paint touch ups that I'm going to wait until after the maiden to do, so for the moment the wings are complete. (y)

The to do list before she's ready for the maiden is getting smaller.... :D
  • Finish receiver wiring (two more aileron extensions to add)
  • Layup 2 fiberglass nacelle cowlings
  • Trim and mount nacelle cowlings
  • Balance!!
  • Battery straps once I know where they sit
We could be looking at a flight attempt in late March or early April depending on weather and schedules. :unsure:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
No pictures tonight, but I installed the aileron control horns and linkage. Finally got a 4-40 die to put threads on the control rods. There are still a little bit of sanding and paint touch ups that I'm going to wait until after the maiden to do, so for the moment the wings are complete. (y)

• Finish receiver wiring (two more aileron extensions to add)
  • Layup 2 fiberglass nacelle cowlings
  • Trim and mount nacelle cowlings
  • Balance!!
  • Battery straps once I know where they sit
We could be looking at a flight attempt in late March or early April depending on weather and schedules. :unsure:
Looking forward to it!

Have fun!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob

The list i smaller indeed. We will all have our eyes out for the success here. GREAT job documenting this. it has really shown off what method and patience can do.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The list i smaller indeed. We will all have our eyes out for the success here. GREAT job documenting this. it has really shown off what method and patience can do.

Thanks! I hope to sucker... er... entice... umm.... inspire... yeah - inspire others to try this too! :p

Tonight I finished the wiring, put some velcro on the receiver and receiver battery, screwed the on-off switch into the plate next to the nose gear servo (there was already a hole just the right size the piece of scrap plywood).

Other than the fiberglass work, I'm ready to set this to the side. And school is delayed again tomorrow due to snow tonight, so the shop certainly isn't going to be warm enough to do the fiberglass work for a bit still. :(

20190228_193306-576x1024.jpg

So I started a quick little project - building a transmitter case with some nice tool drawers.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/radical-rc-dual-transmitter-case.57545/

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Guess who is very glad he went over his CG calcs with a fine tooth comb and found an error? :unsure:

Yep - that would be me! Not a huge difference in the final numbers, but still - whew! :oops:

BAP Canard CG 10 Calc.png

The overall range suggested with a 5% to 15% static margin goes from 36.18 to 34.38 inches from the canard leading edge back to the CG. I had good luck on the prototypes with a 10% margin so on the big boy that's 35.28 inches. Doing the math back the other way, that's 1.22 inches forward of the wing leading edge.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Guess who is very glad he went over his CG calcs with a fine tooth comb and found an error? :unsure:

Yep - that would be me! Not a huge difference in the final numbers, but still - whew! :oops:

View attachment 125504

The overall range suggested with a 5% to 15% static margin goes from 36.18 to 34.38 inches from the canard leading edge back to the CG. I had good luck on the prototypes with a 10% margin so on the big boy that's 35.28 inches. Doing the math back the other way, that's 1.22 inches forward of the wing leading edge.

What? Your not going to glide test it into long grass?;)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't see that working so well with something over 20 pounds!
If you do a glide test please record it as I have never seen anyone try to hand launch a canard that weighs quite so much!

It could be spectacular and very entertaining!

Have fun!