Motor Changes Direction

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
What??!! Say that again. What I said was that my F Rotary is changing direction. I've my 4ch TT ready to fly. I've got my 3ch Mini Scout ready to fly (Just wait @basslord1124, I may not have alligators, but I'm still going to get stupid with it!) :LOL:.

I was putting the F-Pack rotary into my Tora Tanshi, to complete a challenge @Hai-Lee threw at me to make her fly again, and yep. Problems. I've got a 3c 850mah, a 20amp ESC, and no prop.

On bind, I get two beeps instead of three and no confirmation beeps. I'm just trying to get her balanced for flight, and each time I run up the motor, it turns in a different direction.

I'm running it up slowly, because my fingers are on it, just trying to check direction of spin. Ideas?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
What??!! Say that again. What I said was that my F Rotary is changing direction. I've my 4ch TT ready to fly. I've got my 3ch Mini Scout ready to fly (Just wait @basslord1124, I may not have alligators, but I'm still going to get stupid with it!) :LOL:.

I was putting the F-Pack rotary into my Tora Tanshi, to complete a challenge @Hai-Lee threw at me to make her fly again, and yep. Problems. I've got a 3c 850mah, a 20amp ESC, and no prop.

On bind, I get two beeps instead of three and no confirmation beeps. I'm just trying to get her balanced for flight, and each time I run up the motor, it turns in a different direction.

I'm running it up slowly, because my fingers are on it, just trying to check direction of spin. Ideas?
Without a "hands On" inspection it is hard to determine what is going on but a few of the things I would be trying are;
Re calibrate the throttle
If possible change the timing selection on the ESC - set to high speed timing
Grab a second and different ESC to test if the motor is functioning correctly with a known good ESC.
Check the motor connections and even swap them around just to see if I have a bad or poor connection.
Visually inspect the motor windings to see if I have a broken winding.

As for direction testing you can use a flag made from a little sticky tape. Set the tape to stick out from the motor shaft at right angles. Turn the motor using the throttle control. The tape will bend backwards away from the direction of rotation. REPEAT as many times as necessary.!

Have fun!

Wildthing

Legendary member
The first thing I would do is swap out the esc and see what happens. If the second esc works good then I would try the old esc with a different motor just to see if the problem follows the esc.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Some quad ESC are made to switch direction so they can fly inverted. Check the documentation for the ESC, you may be able to turn it off.

mayan

Legendary member
I also think the ESC might be faulty most issues I have seen with motors was actually connected to a faulty ESC. Like everyone else already said try checking the ESC with another good motor, if the problem stays then you know your ESC is faulty.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Ya'll love me, right? I'm not an idiot, right? Yes. Yes I am. I had forgotten that was a new ESC I got with the the F-Pack motor, so guess what? I never calibrated it. Doh! :oops:

Problem solved. I calibrated the ESC and all is good. Thank you all for your wonderful advice, which would have been really helpful if I'd actually calibrated the ESC. Doh! :oops:

sundown57

Legendary member
Ya'll love me, right? I'm not an idiot, right? Yes. Yes I am. I had forgotten that was a new ESC I got with the the F-Pack motor, so guess what? I never calibrated it. Doh! :oops:

Problem solved. I calibrated the ESC and all is good. Thank you all for your wonderful advice, which would have been really helpful if I'd actually calibrated the ESC. Doh! :oops:

Actually, you just solved two problems. I have been having trouble with my f power pack since I bought it 2 months ago. Not reversing direction but with a real lack of power. I even bought some different props trying to get more power out of it. Well after reading this post I did a search on calibrating the ESC. I instantly noticed the difference. before I calibrated it , there was no increase in rpm past halfway, Not it revs to full throttle. I can really hear the difference. It sounds like twice as fast as it was before. SO thank you much.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Actually, you just solved two problems. I have been having trouble with my f power pack since I bought it 2 months ago. Not reversing direction but with a real lack of power. I even bought some different props trying to get more power out of it. Well after reading this post I did a search on calibrating the ESC. I instantly noticed the difference. before I calibrated it , there was no increase in rpm past halfway, Not it revs to full throttle. I can really hear the difference. It sounds like twice as fast as it was before. SO thank you much.
Your entire flight experience is about to change for the better! Whoots! :D

mayan

Legendary member
well, my best flight so far was 29 seconds, so I sure hope it doesn't get any worse lol.
@buzzbomb had a two second flight expreince one right after the other on the FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge he laughted about it. The last time he went flying that model he did something around the 4 mins. So trust that it will only get better.

@buzzbomb happy to hear you fixed the motor issue.