Motor, ESC & LiPo running REALLY hot!!! HELP!!!

rogerxiii

First, let me apologize for sounding thick and (after trying to get a grip on electric setups) not grasping the basics.

I bought a HK Speedy GL a while ago and ordered the recommended power setup for it. The recommended page on HK listed a 28mm 2200Kv inrunner (rated at 500W), a 60amp ESC and either a 3s or 4s lipo. I bought a couple of the Nano-Tech 2200Mah 3s lipo's (25c to 50c discharge).

I got everything up and running and flew it pulling a 11x8 folding prop. Everything went great for about a minute, then the motor cut. I landed and I couldn't even touch the motor. The ESC was really hot too.

I blew the ESC & motor next time I tried to test it, so bought a new one (60amp again, but this time with a separate BEC) and a new 2200Kv motor. I also read that it might be too large a prop, so I went down to a 7x4 folding prop. I also bought a Watt meter.

I still have the same problem, but I haven't blown anything (yet!). The Watt meter reads 700W, 65amps at full power, but the setup is still running really hot on half throttle.

Can someone who knows their stuff please, please, please help me before I end up wearing my underpants on my head with pencils up my nose shouting "WIBBLE!"...lol

Many thanks in anticipation,

Martin. :confused:

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The 11*8 propeller seems way to big in my experience for a 2200 KV motor.
Even the 7*4 seems to be above the limit. There has to be a test for the motor you got telling what propellers to use.
Inrunners get hot and if possible try to mount some aluminum cooling fins and make sure you get air flow for cooling.
Try a 5*5 or 5*6 carbon prop and measure. Dont try any plastic GWS or similar with a power of 500 W or more ;-)

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
11X8 is WAY too big for 2200kv :eek:. 2200kv is good for 5" to 7" prop as pgerts said above and a 7" is going to be pushing it if not allowed frequent cool down periods after driving it hard.

Thurmond