Motor for more Versa Wing power?

zejackal

FPV Monkey
Hi everyone,

First post! I am pretty new to fixed wing, having flown multis for a couple of years now. I have built a versa wing as well as a blunt nosed versa, and I really love this plane for line of sight and FPV.

IMG_20150503_155418.jpg

IMG_20150422_193759.jpg

IMG_20150505_191409.jpg

The blunt's wings are filled with expanding foam, and it's super durable and flies great. The leading edges of the wing tips near the blunt region protect the camera on any impacts. It flies a Turnigy park 450 1200kv and 1045 prop

On the regular versa I'm using a Turnigy DST 1200 with a slow fly 8045 prop. It flies pretty nice and fast, and is built to FT spec. I'm planning on filling the next one with foam, and making it a short blunt nose for proximity FPV - acrobatics, trees, low flying. Same width as the regular versa, but with the blunt nose for better FPV equipment carrying and hopefully some real oomph.

I expect the expanding foam to add weight, and I'm wondering if anyone has used a slightly more powerful motor with a similar sized prop on the versa wing. There are so many motors to look through to consider motor weight, power and thrust, so I am hoping to tap this community for some knowledge.

Ideally this motor will use a 8045 since that fits perfectly between the elevons, and I have lots of props this size for my warthox quad. Just looking for something that has tons of power for this little wing for after it gains some weight when I fill it with foam.

Thanks

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
When I built my Versa (original delta design) around the EMAX GT2210/11 motor with an 8x4 prop, on 3S, it flew great. I added FPV equipment, which added weight, and eventually moved the electronics to a blunt nosed version with the addition of an APM flight controller with GPS, airspeed sensor, larger battery, and just more weight because I used Elmers foamboard for the center section and wingtip plates. I was surprised it flew relatively well with the same 8x4 prop, and even with a 9x4.7 which gave it more oomph.

With a 3300mAh battery, it weighs in at just over 1Kg AUW, but is still very efficient. A recent 6 minute flight resulted in only 400mA drawn, leaving 12V in the pack. That's with it powering the APM, OSD, VTX, digital servos, etc.

I think you'll find it a truly versatile platform (hence the name?) and quite adaptable to different weight and power setups due to the natural efficiency of a flying/delta wing.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I'm planning on filling the next one with foam, and making it a short blunt nose for proximity FPV - acrobatics, trees, low flying. Same width as the regular versa, but with the blunt nose for better FPV equipment carrying and hopefully some real oomph.

I expect the expanding foam to add weight, and I'm wondering if anyone has used a slightly more powerful motor with a similar sized prop on the versa wing. There are so many motors to look through to consider motor weight, power and thrust, so I am hoping to tap this community for some knowledge.

Ideally this motor will use a 8045 since that fits perfectly between the elevons, and I have lots of props this size for my warthox quad. Just looking for something that has tons of power for this little wing for after it gains some weight when I fill it with foam.
When you build the next one, where are you going to chop the span? If you cut out the space from the center of the wing, you will shorten the root chord. If you take it from the tips, you will lose stability and control surface. Either way you seriously change the cg. Even if you made it stock, then just chopped the nose, you lose real-estate needed to for equipment and balance.

It seems that as the Versa wing gets heavier, specially with weight gain towards the tips, it gets more unstable. I used this motor https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=18226 on this Versa.
IMG_1520.JPG .
I filled the wing with foam forward of the foam spar from tip to tip. Added a carbon shaft spar to the center. I ended up cutting out most of the center foam to place the 2x 4S, 2200mah, 40C Turnigy Batteries as far forward as I could get them. I achieved speed (not as fast as I want to go yet, but pretty fast) with an 8X8 prop. The problem was that the plane wobbles and woggles a lot. Flying fast or slow. Same characteristics as a couple other heavy Versa's that I played with. I wont waste my time putting my FPV gear on this one. I will make another attempt at a speedy Versa for FPV and make my error on the lighter side next time. I think an EF1 motor with an 8X8 or 8X10 prop, no foam and just a short carbon spar in the center.