Solved Motor for Simple Cub

Foamforce

It’s a little too small for a cub. The all up weight of the cub is 489g. The upper end of thrust for that motor is 450g. You want at least 1:1. You’re close enough that you could probably fly it with that motor, but it would be more difficult to take off or power out of a stall. In comparison, a 2212 can make up to about 800g thrust, so that’s better suited to the Cub.

agupt108

It might work. No doubt a larger motor would be better. I doubt it will fly off grass. You will have a better chance fly off pavement.
So do you think I should make the plane and try it? I don't want to burn the motor though...

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
So do you think I should make the plane and try it? I don't want to burn the motor though...
Its the size of the prop, not the plane, that will burn out a motor.
Yes, I think it is worth a try.

Not sure where you are at in your learning process. That motor would be perfect size for the Tiny Trainer.

agupt108

Its the size of the prop, not the plane, that will burn out a motor.
Yes, I think it is worth a try.

Not sure where you are at in your learning process. That motor would be perfect size for the Tiny Trainer.
I tried the tiny trainer before...i crashed that one, the feel was a bit off for me. I feel a plane with landing gear will be easier for me. What do you think then, cub or commuter?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I tried the tiny trainer before...i crashed that one, the feel was a bit off for me. I feel a plane with landing gear will be easier for me. What do you think then, cub or commuter?
I would definitely go with the smaller of the two.

I’ve seen some TT built from kits that were tail heavy when balanced on the CG mark.
If you balanced the plane a 1/4 inch forward of the CG mark, it flew great Also helps if you can have a friend toss the plane. Your looking for a good stiff toss, like throwing a ball 20 yards. Make the toss 20-30 degrees upwards.

agupt108

I would definitely go with the smaller of the two.

I’ve seen some TT built from kits that were tail heavy when balanced on the CG mark.
If you balanced the plane a 1/4 inch forward of the CG mark, it flew great Also helps if you can have a friend toss the plane. Your looking for a good stiff toss, like throwing a ball 20 yards. Make the toss 20-30 degrees upwards.
Ok sounds good; I'll probably build the cub first, but won't do anything with it until I am comfortable with the commuter! Thank you!