Motor mount on firewall screws?

Kent Fonager

Hi

What is the best/recommended way to mount the motor X bracket to the actual firewall? Using wood screws or nuts and bolts?

What is your experience?

Please see attached photo.

Thanks in advance,
Kent

Attachments

• B05D7DA2-F60E-4FA8-979C-B40789209B40.jpeg
    B05D7DA2-F60E-4FA8-979C-B40789209B40.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Piotrsko

Master member
The advantage to nuts and bolts: using a lock nut or a second nut on a long screw it will be noticeable when flying that the motor is loose either through an odd sound or floppy motor, way before it departs in flight

checkerboardflyer

Wood screws or nuts and screws will work. Over time wood screws may loosen from vibration. And with nuts and screws once you button up the fuselage it would be hard to remove the screws in case you needed to remove the motor. It may be difficult or impossible to reach the nuts. I use blind nuts and socket head cap screws. The blind nuts are fitted to the back of the firewall. You can keep them in place with a drop of CA, but they have barbs that dig into the wood, so that is probably not necessary. And it is easy to remove and replace the motor if need be. More resources for foam board RC modelers on my blog: https://foamboardflyers.com

Attachments

• blind nuts cap screws - 1 (1).jpeg
    blind nuts cap screws - 1 (1).jpeg
    723 KB · Views: 0
  • blind nuts cap screws - 1.jpeg
    blind nuts cap screws - 1.jpeg
    497.9 KB · Views: 0
  • blind nuts cap screws - 2.jpeg
    blind nuts cap screws - 2.jpeg
    703.6 KB · Views: 0
  • blind nuts cap screws - 3.jpeg
    blind nuts cap screws - 3.jpeg
    563.5 KB · Views: 0
  • socket head cap screws pic.png
    socket head cap screws pic.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • blind nuts.jpeg
    blind nuts.jpeg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dylanbeaudette

Great ideas! I've been trying to locate replacement screws for a C power pack, previously attached to a Simple Cub. Most of the wood screws were lost when this happened. I like the idea of using bolts / nuts instead.

Bricks

Master member
I use wood screws and put small rubber washers made from tubing they use for physical therapy this way i can make trust line adjustments easily. I use the same tubing for prop savers ( as much as i hate them ) they work much better then the boughten type. Out of 6 inches of tubing I can cut around 90 of them.

Bricks

Master member
What size(s) of tubing do you find useful?
Is there a standard for the colors (sizes) of tubing? Or does each manufacture have there own system?

The blue tubing for the smaller prop savers bigger motors never use a prop saver, Ebay you can find for $1 something a foot and free shipping, 2 feet will make hundreds of prop savers.