Help! Motor sizes.

OneCupOfCoffee204

When shopping for a project, whether it be for a car or plane or boat for that matter, is there a chart that gives me the overall dimensions of brushless motor sizes.
I like the Emax motors so I went looking for an Emax motor chart. I found a few that gave me every bit of information about the motor except a simple size chart. As an ex heavy equipment mechanic, I know the importance of power output and consumption, rpm and such but I also need to know if it will fit in my project. Does a size chart exist for this information?
Thank's in advance.

leaded50

Legendary member
i found try research the type of motor (not necessary the producer) in Ebay, Aliex,Banggood do mainly gives you the actual measurements

OneCupOfCoffee204

i found try research the type of motor (not necessary the producer) in Ebay, Aliex,Banggood do mainly gives you the actual measurements
Again I apologize for my ignorance but when you say the type of motor, can you give me an example? Brushless or shaft size, end-bell etc.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
When shopping for a project, whether it be for a car or plane or boat for that matter, is there a chart that gives me the overall dimensions of brushless motor sizes.
I like the Emax motors so I went looking for an Emax motor chart. I found a few that gave me every bit of information about the motor except a simple size chart. As an ex heavy equipment mechanic, I know the importance of power output and consumption, rpm and such but I also need to know if it will fit in my project. Does a size chart exist for this information?
Thank's in advance.
Many of the motors are labeled by size. for instance, My leopard 3536 motor has a 35mm can diameter and a 36mm can length. some motors are labeled by internals like flite tests so you'll have to be careful of that.

this is a link to the motor i referenced which btw has all the measurements you could want as well i think
https://www.altitudehobbies.com/col...eopard-3536-8t-960kv-brushless-airplane-motor

OneCupOfCoffee204

Many of the motors are labeled by size. for instance, My leopard 3536 motor has a 35mm can diameter and a 36mm can length. some motors are labeled by internals like flite tests so you'll have to be careful of that.

Okay I get it now lol
I thought since there are numbers on the motors that there would be a chart 3536, 3546 and so on.
But it's just as easy to search for specific physical sizes.
Thanks

Namactual

Elite member
You can usually find the complete motor specs on the mfg website, although you have to know what motor you are looking for. It is not ideal, but typically I look for performance specs I need the look up a particular motor on the mfg site.

EMAX example

Nice avatar by the way.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Motors of similar size and Kv are going to produce about the same power. If you are one of the super human quad pilots, they you can tell the difference. But if you are one of us mere mortal's, the difference is insignificant. Get a motor with similar watts & Kv, you'll be fine. Recommended prop size can also give some clue as to the performance.

If you are building an endurance quad, then grams of thrust per watt will make a difference. You will want a low Kv motor turning a the largest prop you have room for. 10g per watt is fairly easy to get, 20g or more is possible. Most racing quads are 2-3g/w.

IdoAllMyOwnStunts

Elite member
A 2208 motor for example, the 22 means the stator is 22mm wide, the 08 means is 8mm tall, this is a fairly small motor, 34 grams, smaller motors handle fewer watts.
A 2814 is quite a bit bigger and weighs 109 grams.
Most motors being sold have a description of the size of it in the posting, you just gotta know what size you are looking for and then it’s easy.
25CB3097-C604-48C2-8020-7D01656FA5FC.png