Mountain Models EVA Sport Build Thread

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I love those magnetic building jigs, and now that I have a 3D printer I'm going to start making some different styles.

It really is so convenient and quick to not be poking lots of little holes in everything with pins. Highly recommend this magnetic building board lifestyle :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So the covering job is intimidating me, and I keep jumping off to side projects rather than getting into this. So I figured to start small, make some progress, and then hopefully the inspiration will start flowing faster than the nerves.

In that spirit, step 1) battery hatch covered and canopy glued on.

2017-03-09 10.01.51.jpg

Baby steps, right? :)

Turbojoe

Elite member
Yep, baby steps.... I like the dark canopy. It'll look sharp.

I actually enjoy covering. It's covering schemes I have trouble with. I'm not the least bit creative and my planes would be done a LOT faster if they were all one color. I've done a few that turned out pretty good but that was pure luck. I usually start with a base color and just wing it from there and hope it looks OK when I'm done.

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks - this is my first build with such a big canopy and I figure this way any messy glue stuff or prints I leave on the inside won't show at all. :)

And yeah, it's the covering scheme that's the first sticking point for me too. I've got a whole file now of various schemes I like from scouring the forums (both here and the nasty place) but of course that doesn't make the decision any easier - just gives me pretty things to look at in my indecision.

But I do have a pretty solid idea on this one finally - black painted cowl, gentle black curve coming up from the bottom of the cowl to bisect the length of the fuselage. Tan/khaki covering on the bottom of the fuse, black leading edge of the wing, khaki trailing edge, checker board on the bottom (which I'm going to get some practice on with the Baby Bugatti I put together today).

It all sort of makes sense in my head, and I've done a sketch or two, but I'm not good enough with graphics programs to really mock the whole thing up in photo-realistic view so at some point I've just got to run with it and start covering.

And if I really mess it up, just buy another roll of covering and heat peel the old stuff off, right? :black_eyed:

jsknockoff

Mentor
Covering is always the bottleneck for me too. Like you said though, if you aren't happy with it you can peel it off and try again.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Now that my distraction project - the Banana Bugatti - is ready to maiden, it's time to lay down some covering!

Tonight's progress was simply covering the fuselage in cream on the bottom, and black on the turtle deck. A couple little wrinkles that don't want to iron out tell me I still need lots of work on my technique, but it's better than my last covering over sheet balsa, so I'll take the improvement as a win and keep going.

2017-03-30 23.28.11.jpg

Turbojoe

Elite member
I've done black canopies on other planes but it just looks exceptional on yours with the color choices, Nice job!

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks - black painted nose cowling coming too :)

Now I just need to get that curve laid in that smooths in the nose to canopy edge...

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Progress!

The curve is a 3 foot one. Looks much better about 3 feet away. :)
2017-04-01 17.07.38.jpg

And the first wing base colors are on...
2017-04-01 18.28.28.jpg

Same top and bottom right now.
2017-04-01 18.28.50.jpg

Plan is to do some sort of art-deco / mid-centry Japanese propoganda poster style star burst with black Solar Trim on the top of the wings.

But I'm going to finish the other wing and tail surfaces first.

Turbojoe

Elite member
It looks great. The nice thing about black Solite is that adding pieces to complete a design blend right in so well you can't see the seams from even 3" away. Dark blue is almost as good.

Looking forward to the finished glamour shots.

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks!

I've been thinking about doing black polka dots on it for some reason too... any experience using an exacto blade circle cutter on covering?

Turbojoe

Elite member
I have the OLFA version that I "borrowed" from my ex-wife. I don't recall trying it on covering. I've always had problems with covering bunching up when I try to cut anything other than straight lines. A guy I used to fly with always had amazing designs on his planes. He always laid out sections of covering on glass then used Press and Seal to hold it in place. He then drew out his designs on the Press and Seal and cut them out from there. He said the Press and Seal stabilized everything and kept it from bunching. I never tried it and never saw him do it. He did a MM Tyro with a Monster energy drink theme that was amazing. All done with the Press and Seal method. I wish I had watched his technique at least once so I'd have a better idea of how it was done. I'm sure it has been covered somewhere on RC Groups.

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That sounds like a neat idea - I'll give it a try and document the results. I spent a while digging around RC groups and didn't find any specific step by step info on this, but several references using it for masking off foamies for painting too.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Yeah, I just looked too and Thomas didn't document anything online. After he got divorced a few years back he "left town" and nobody has heard from him since or I'd ask him. She was a real witch. I hope she didn't bury the body out in the desert somewhere. :eek: :confused:

I did find a two part video on YouTube HERE. Not exactly what Thomas did as he drew his designs on the Press and Seal then cut it all out but it gives you an idea for transferring the design to the plane. Thomas did a lot of freehand so maybe that's why he did it without making templates.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
As I've said so many times before I have no creative talent whatsoever and I need all the help I can get so please post up whatever method you find works for you. I'll shamelessly copy it! :)

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
A little more progress tonight - second wing panel and vertical stabilizer covered.

I also tried out the tip of using a hot soldering iron to cut out the holes and slots in the fuselage and wings for wiring and hardware. Works great! Just need to move quickly and smoothly with the iron - if too much pressure somewhere in the middle of a slot it will start to burn little divots into the wood - just keep moving with a very light touch and it works great!

2017-04-03 23.32.58.jpg

Next up I'm going to cover the horizontal stabilizer in black, and then try to join black and tan pieces of covering together on the glass work surface for the elevator. The idea being to have a straight black line across the horizontal stabilizer & elevator that matches the leading edge of the wing.

I also printed out a pair of RockyBoy Penguin's for the rudder that I'm going to try the press-and-seal method with. Starting to have fun with this covering job now :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks!

I've been thinking about adding a third contrasting color pinstripe along with some black pinstripes to help clean up some of the color change edges on the wings (and so it looks good closer than 3 feet). Need to find one of those color wheel apps to figure out a good color to add to the mix though. My ability to visualize color combinations sucks. :)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Wow. You're getting a pretty slick look going on there Rockyboy. I've been inspired by you guys to take the bi-plane kit home with me from FF West.