Mustang7302's Polakium SSHQuad v3 Build Log

Mustang7302

expert-badge.jpg

Mustang7302

Somewhere along the way of doing general swooping line of sight flying, it occurred to me that this little guy would make a sweet FPV craft. Perhaps it was me being wishful though. This afternoon I had intended to pack up the gear and head out to the park for some flying, but rain thwarted my plans. Since I would be tearing down the motors, ESCs, and props off the HK FPV250 kit, I figured I would also take the FPV gear off the F330 on a whim and put it on the Panda Polak Quad.

ZewRgGB.jpg

All up flying weight with the FPV hardware added was 440 grams. Didn't get a full flight in due to rain, so more information to come in the near future.

Now, you might be wondering why I am stripping down the FPV250 frame. Well. I will tell you. I am selling the power train hardware. What am I going to replace it with you might then ask? Well. I am not going to tell you, yet.

Mustang7302

Took the mini Panda Polakium Quad out to the park this morning and burned three batteries flying FPV. Such an awesome little flier. With the video transmitting antennae so high I had the best clarity I have ever had. Took it out to 600 meters with no distortion; the F330 setup would only go to 400 meters before there was enough fuzz to make you concentrate harder. It flew so well with such good video I covered way more ground that I ever have before. Lesson learned, put the antennae as high as you can!

The 1300's were burned through in 8 minutes of flight. This is a pretty substantial reduction in flight time. Before the FPV gear was added, it would run for 12 minutes with hovering and moderate swooping. Even flips, rolls, and spins would only drop flight time to 10.5 minutes. I guess I just using a lot more throttle zipping around from one end of the park to the other; there were certainly a few full throttle fly by passes when I would cross the (empty) parking lot.

Guess its a good thing I have plans for that Diatone 250 frame after all. I have to keep one LOS acro quad in my fleet.

Mustang7302

Next weekend is an event about an hour north of Houston that is being hosted by Curtis Youngblood, the collective pitch quadrotor guy, that will be having a bunch of fun fly and racing activities. I had hoped to have my CGX250 frame from Australiain by now, but its taking a bit of time on the slow boat (or something) to take to this event. I had initially planed to put the EMAX MT1806 2280KV motors on this new frame, but I just so happened to luck into a set of SunnySky X2204S 2300KV motors from BuddyRC. Even if the new frame does show up early enough this week to build and shake down, I am not sure the SS motors will do the same. So I figured I would start making plans with my Polakium frame to take up to the event and do some racing.

Here is the latest list of updates for this build:

1. Replaced the RCX 1804 2400KV motors with EMAX MT1806 2280KV motors.
  2. Replaced the RTFQ Blue SimonK ESCs with EMAX 12A SimonK ESCs.
  3. Replaced the GemFan 5030 props with HQ 5040 props (HQ 6030s on standby).
  4. Replaced the FrSKY X6R Receiver & 40A Current Sensor with a FrSKY D4R-II Receiver.
  5. Tapped into the power manifold for flight voltage to VBAT pins on Naze32.
  6. Configured Telemetry output to the FrSKY receiver from the Naze32.
  7. Configured CPPM from the receiver to the Naze32.
  8. Put the FPV camera on a servo which is connected to the Naze32.
  9. Configured channel 6 through the Naze32 to tilt the FPV camera manually by slider control.
  10. Configured a mix in the Taranis to pitch the FPV camera 50% of its throw proportional to elevator input.
I did a brief maiden to make sure everything works, and we're good. Going to take it out to the park in the morning for some shake down flights and test the difference between the 5040 and 6030 props.

Mustang7302

Guy I was flying with this morning did get some on board video from his FPV ground station DVR. Waiting to see the footage.

The Polakium frame just doesn't have the surface area to put a Mobius on board with FPV gear on it at the same time. This is one of the reasons I ordered the CGX250 frame, besides being able to dedicate my Polakium back to my acro quad.

Greg2B

Awesome build and nice photos. I hope I can get my v3 frame to look half as nice as yours. Looking forward to some flight footage.

Mustang7302

So some brief updates on this build. It still lives and flies regularly. It has been relegated back to being a line of sight acro mini after building a CopterGeist CGX250 for FPV (didn't do a build log on it).

The MRSS 1300mAh 35C 3S batteries have been great. Still running strong after at least a couple dozen cycles on each of the three batteries. Only complaint is that I wish the wire leads were longer, but it makes sense that they're short to save weight and that they fly on mini multirotors.

I've been working slowly into testing 4S performance on mini quads, particularly with the 1806 size motor options. Since this quad already had EMAX MT1806 2280KV motors on it from the last rebuild, it became the guinea pig for flight testing. Using a 1600mAh 35C 4S battery, which is a pig, and very mild HQ 5030 props has been very promising to date. I've got about a half dozen flights on this quad now doing moderate swooping about, flips, rolls, spins, quick high speed bursts, and just generally having fun.

Here is a video from the first 4S flight. Jump to about 4 minutes for more interesting footage than just hovering.

I've tuned the gains to smooth out the warbling since this first attempt. I am amazed that for its weight, 505 grams, it still flew for nearly 13 minutes.

I am still debating putting a set of DYS BE1806 2300KV motors on my CGX250 frame for high speed FPV 4S testing, or I just might hold on until I get a V-tail mini for that. But that isn't the scope of this thread.

I have been very happy with the quad as it has had performed very well in everything I have asked it to do. It can be light and agile, weighted down and a speed demon, and all the while has been extremely durable in crashes.

Last edited: