Spitfire76's Build Log of Ben's XF-16

Spitfire76

I was so impressed with the Blue Angels at FF2023 that I decided to build one but as it will be my first attempt at building and flying an EDF powered plane figured I'd better start with a single EDF rather than twin EDFs, so a F16 instead of F18. I could have gone with the master series F16 but I prefer to build from scratch as it makes repairs or rebuilding possible without having to re-purchase a kit. For reasons that I quite I understand MS plans are not made available so I am going to attempt a build of Ben Harber's XF-16 and will document my build in this thread. Our AMA club has a Jet Ralley in late September so hoping to fly it amongst Jet's that cost $1000s.

AIGBOIItSeWPTcwHOIbSWw.jpg
Me by the Blue Angels on the first day of FF2203

Last edited:

Yankee2003

I was so impressed with the Blue Angels at FF2023 that I decided to build one but as it will be my first attempt at building and flying an EDF powered plane figured I'd better start with a single EDF rather than twin EDFs, so a F16 instead of F18. I could have gone for the master series F16 but I prefer to build from scratch as it makes repairs or rebuilding possible without having to re-purchase a kit. For reasons that I quite I understand MS plans are not made available so I am going to attempt a build of Ben Harber's XF-16 and will document my build in this thread. Our AMA club has a Jet Ralley in late September so hoping to fly it amongst Jet's that cost $1000s.

Original thread

View attachment 238614
Me by the Blue Angels on the first day of FF2203
I’m with you Richard. Have you decided on an EDF yet?
The Flite Test 70 mm looks to be a low KV motor more suitable for a 6s battery. I am leaning towards the Value Hobby option.

Spitfire76

I’m with you Richard. Have you decided on an EDF yet?
The Flite Test 70 mm looks to be a low KV motor more suitable for a 6s battery. I am leaning towards the Value Hobby option.
I'm still evaluating which EDF, ESC and battery to go with but since I've only used 3s on my planes until now a gentle step up to 4s seems preferable to a leap to 6s.

This is the only EDF that FT sells on their store and recommended for the master series F18 (2 of course)

This is the EDF/ESC combo that's recommended for the master series F16

Last edited:

Yankee2003

I'm still evaluating which EDF, ESC and battery to go with but since I've only used 3s on my planes until now a gentle step up to 4s seems preferable to a leap to 6s.

This is the only EDF that FT sells on their store and recommended for the master series F18 (2 of course)

This is the EDF/ESC combo that's recommended for the master series F16
The EDF combo on Amazon is the same EDF on Value Hobby. $36 for the EDF (6s) without the esc ( verify for yourself).
My first build will be with the 4s version from Value Hobby ($34). You could order both for the same shipping. They seem to have a couple good referrals in the forums, so I am going to give them a chance. I will have to locate a couple high C rated 4s batteries for it. Two will seem like a good amount when I order them, but not enough once I get out to the field and start flying.
I‘m not going to overthink my first EDF build. Not for as cheap as we can get these in the air.
Post lots of pictures Richard, so I can be inspired by your craftsmanship.
I can’t wait to throw this thing into the air.

Spitfire76

The EDF combo on Amazon is the same EDF on Value Hobby. $36 for the EDF (6s) without the esc ( verify for yourself).
My first build will be with the 4s version from Value Hobby ($34). You could order both for the same shipping. They seem to have a couple good referrals in the forums, so I am going to give them a chance. I will have to locate a couple high C rated 4s batteries for it. Two will seem like a good amount when I order them, but not enough once I get out to the field and start flying.
I‘m not going to overthink my first EDF build. Not for as cheap as we can get these in the air.
Post lots of pictures Richard, so I can be inspired by your craftsmanship.
I can’t wait to throw this thing into the air.

If I have it correct it's a 2300kv with 6s or 3400kv with 4s and as you point out Valley Hobby and Amazon are both selling Powerfun EDFs and the price is about the same as Vally Hobby charges $4.99 for shipping and free shipping with Amazon Prime.

Just thinking (maybe over) that if I go with the 2300kv/6s I could reuse it in a F18.

Last edited:

Yankee2003

If I have it correct it's a 2300kv with 6s or 3400kv with 4s and as you point out Valley Hobby and Amazon are both selling Powerfun EDFs and the price is about the same as Vally Hobby charges $4.99 for shipping and free shipping with Amazon Prime.

Just thinking (maybe over) that if I go with the 2300kv/6s I could reuse it in a F18.
I considered that, but I thought the weight of the 6s might be detrimental to making the F16 nice and light for my maiden. And 2300kv might not be great on 4s. It feels like wrapping too much into a future MS build. Like I mentioned, you can save on shipping by ordering both at the same time. I check shipping to NC with both and it did not change.
My secondary goal here is to build the MS F16 if they are flying those as Thunderbirds next FF. The 10th anniversary would be great if I can fly with the Thunderbirds….and you can stand along side….patriotic Music playing….how great does that sound?

Spitfire76

I considered that, but I thought the weight of the 6s might be detrimental to making the F16 nice and light for my maiden. And 2300kv might not be great on 4s. It feels like wrapping too much into a future MS build. Like I mentioned, you can save on shipping by ordering both at the same time. I check shipping to NC with both and it did not change.
My secondary goal here is to build the MS F16 if they are flying those as Thunderbirds next FF. The 10th anniversary would be great if I can fly with the Thunderbirds….and you can stand along side….patriotic Music playing….how great does that sound?
I think you are right Mike, a 3400kv EDF using a 4s is the way to go but what were you planning for your secondary goal as the MS F16 recommends the 2300kv 6s ?

Yankee2003

I think you are right Mike, a 3400kv EDF using a 4s is the way to go but what were you planning for your secondary goal as the MS F16 recommends the 2300kv 6s ?
I think I am just going to buy the 4s EDF for now. I am speculating on the MS F16 for FF based on early comments from Dan. That may or may not happen.
But FF for me next year will involve an EDF, a NOOB group build and a simple night flier. Maybe the NOOB build will have LEDs and do double duty. That is my future plans. Right now…I need to build and learn to fly an EDF.

The Fopster

Master member
I recently built my first EDF plane (own design from depron type material) and thought I’d share some things I discovered. I’m using a 64mm fan from QX-Motor, and I bought the 4s version which I think is 3500kv. I think the fan is similar to the powerfun item you’re looking at. I didn’t own any 4s batteries so first flights were on 3s - I was expecting less power but hoped it would be “enough”. It did indeed fly, but not very impressively. When I borrowed a 4s battery to test it I was amazed how much difference it made - the jump in performance felt much more than I expected going from 3 to 4 cells. It was transformed.
i think what I’d not realised is that the 33% increase in volts also comes with an increase in current - so the power increase is more than 33%. If you’re planning on flying on different batteries, be prepared for a big drop in performance if you drop the cell count.
Good luck with the build - should be fun!
8D9707D9-27E2-4E8F-BA93-8BB91AAC27F9.jpeg

Yankee2003

I recently built my first EDF plane (own design from depron type material) and thought I’d share some things I discovered. I’m using a 64mm fan from QX-Motor, and I bought the 4s version which I think is 3500kv. I think the fan is similar to the powerfun item you’re looking at. I didn’t own any 4s batteries so first flights were on 3s - I was expecting less power but hoped it would be “enough”. It did indeed fly, but not very impressively. When I borrowed a 4s battery to test it I was amazed how much difference it made - the jump in performance felt much more than I expected going from 3 to 4 cells. It was transformed.
i think what I’d not realised is that the 33% increase in volts also comes with an increase in current - so the power increase is more than 33%. If you’re planning on flying on different batteries, be prepared for a big drop in performance if you drop the cell count.
Good luck with the build - should be fun!
View attachment 238618
What a beautiful aircraft. Can this be easily built from DTFB?
Would you consider this a good EDF trainer aircraft?
Thank you for the great information.

Last edited:

The Fopster

Master member
What a beautiful aircraft. Can this be easily built from DTFB?
Would you consider this a good EDF trainer aircraft?
Thank you for the great information.
It could easily be built from DTFB, and yes, I think it would make a great EDF trainer. It’s called the “EasyJet” because it was designed to be easy to build and easy to fly. I’m building one for a club mate at the moment to test the plans and correct any errors. Once that process is done i will film a simple build video and they will be ready for release. I sell my plans to fund my hobby but they aren’t expensive - about $6.

Spitfire76

Tried to cut out first sheet yesterday on my TimSav but the servo that raises and lowers the needle assembly was faulty and so needs replacing.

Spitfire76

Looks like FoamyDM is going to join us on the build.
I should start cutting Monday.
That's great that @FoamyDM will join, so that's you, me, Matt, Sacha and Tony so far. Also my TimSav needs some repairs so not sure when I can start cutting but hopefully soon.

Last edited:

Foamforce

That's great that @FoamyDM will join, so that's you, me, Matt, Sacha and Tony so far. Also my TimSav needs some repairs so not sure when I can start cutting but hopefully soon.
A group event eh? What does this involve, just posting pictures of the builds, or a group fly? EAA? I’m interested in joining too.

Spitfire76

A group event eh? What does this involve, just posting pictures of the builds, or a group fly? EAA? I’m interested in joining too.
It started out as my build log of the XF-16 Viper by @Mid7night but it does look like 5 or more from the https://aviationrcnoob.com/ community will build along with me which makes the build so much more enjoyable. I appreciate their support and encouragement for my first EDF plane. So yes, it's now a group build log and you are most welcome to join. Also, if you are not already part of the Aviation RC Noob podcast community you might want to check us out as we also communicate on Discord.

Last edited:

Foamforce

Sounds great! I talked to Matt at Flitefest and was planning to try that out. Can you send me an invite? The Discord invite link on the homepage says it’s expired.