My Chameleon Ti

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Last spring I built my FT210 which turned into a long struggle but eventually got airborne and flew pretty well.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/my-ft210-build.33795/
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/stumped-death-roll.34661/

The frame itself is very durable, but has a few drawbacks. It's a bit too tight to mount everything to my satisfaction, and the FPV camera mount doesn't allow for my preferred lens (2.5mm GoPro) at more than about 10 degrees tilt. The main problem though is that I tend to chop up my battery leads every other crash.

This year I decided to upgrade to my first really high end frame, the Armattan Chameleon Ti. This frame is essentially the same as the Rooster, but with a solid base plate where the Rooster has removable arms. I kept the motors, ESC's and FPV camera from the 210, but decided to also upgrade the FC and VTx.

Components:
Armattan Chameleon Ti 5" frame
Rotorgeeks 7075 series 2206 2350kv motors
Sunrise Cicada 30A BLHeli_S ESC's
Bardwell F4 Flight Controller
AKK FX3 800mW VTx
Rotorgeeks HS1177 FPV camera
FrSky XSR Rx

The motors and ESC's are a little old school (by today's standards ;)) but are still fresh and provide more than enough thrust to get me into trouble. I did have a bit of a struggle getting everything flying, as I assumed these ESC's can handle DSHOT600. Unfortunately they need some modification to make that work, out of the box they are limited to DHOT300. I spent more than a few hours getting that sorted, as they would spin up on 600, but twitch like the FC was having serious noise problems.

Some pics of the build:

20180630_185106sm.jpg

20180630_213018sm.jpg

20180701_162525sm.jpg
20180701_183121sm.jpg

I could have sworn that I took some pictures after it was all complete and still nice and shiny, but I either forgot or lost them somewhere... Here it is today, complete with grass stains, slightly roughed up props and a Xiomi Yi action camera.

20180831_133053sm.jpg

The only negative so far in this adventure besides the DSHOT aggravation happened a couple of weeks ago. I plugged in my first pack of the day and was greeted with a puff of magical smoke, and my FPV wasn't working at all. I initially thought it was the VTx, but inspection with my multimeter showed that the 9V regulator on the Bardwell F4 board was toasted. I moved the power supply for the camera and VTx to the ESC pads which works okay, but is a little noisy. I contacted the Rotor Riot store, and they promptly sent out a new board, no questions asked. Gotta love that kind of support :)

I'm still waiting for the replacement in the mail, and when I I do the rebuild I have another little upgrade planned, as this glorious package arrived the other day:

20180829_160706sm.jpg

All in all I'm very happy with the build. The frame kit is exquisite and flies exceptionally well. I'm really in love with the Betaflight OSD and the VTx remote control the new VTx offers. Crossfire will only make it better :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow Sean. Getting a crossfire system on my Taranis is on my to do list. Nice grab!

The Chameleon is a tank. If I ever kill the Alien thats the direction I will be looking.

Im just not a fan of single plate designs after my experience with tge one I tried. That thing rings like a tuning fork and wouldnt allow me to even get a stable hover to begin tuning.

I am sure that will not be an issue on that Chameleon as that is far netter carbon fiber. Just be aware solid plates tune differently then separate arms.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Wow Sean. Getting a crossfire system on my Taranis is on my to do list. Nice grab!

The Chameleon is a tank. If I ever kill the Alien thats the direction I will be looking.

Im just not a fan of single plate designs after my experience with tge one I tried. That thing rings like a tuning fork and wouldnt allow me to even get a stable hover to begin tuning.

I am sure that will not be an issue on that Chameleon as that is far netter carbon fiber. Just be aware solid plates tune differently then separate arms.

The new pricing deals on Crossfire are what made me finally go ahead with it. The micro tx bundle with 5 receivers basically gives you the Tx for free... Hard to pass up.

I prefer a sold bottom plate myself, they are stronger. If they do break it's more of a pain to repair, but oh well. I've stacked this thing a few good ones and it hasn't even blinked. The tune isn't perfect, but it's the best flying quad in my fleet ;)

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Thanks, Don't have a 3d printer yet, too many distractions already. Could probably get my friend to print it. What is the material/media?