My dad...

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I need to share this, because it’s become incredibly important to me.

I lost my father Saturday night to a massive heart attack.

He’d been feeling ill for 2 days prior, coughing and vomiting, and my mom finally told him he needed to go to the ER. She started to walk him out to the car, turned around to get her sandals, heard him say “Oh sh...” and when she turned around she saw him on the ground.

911 was called, they took him to the nearest hospital, but he’d already passed.

I wanted to post here because it was 5 or 6 years ago that my father started trying to fly RC planes, thanks to a friend of his who had gotten into it. My dad got me hooked, and I joined an RC club near where I lived in San Diego. I started flying quads before branching out into various fixed wing aircraft, and became a board member back in 2019 for the club.

My dad was the one who got me hooked.

The last time I saw my father, we got to fly together at the field, where I watched him perform his first ever loop with his Timber, his absolute favorite plane. I will have that, along with him visiting the field multiple times, smiling and sharing his 3D modeling knowledge with members, watching combat and night fly events, and just having a great time. He never felt like he belonged, but the people in the club made him feel welcome, and for that, I’m glad.

Godspeed, dad. You’ve earned your pilot’s wings now.

OliverW

Legendary member

He’d been feeling ill for 2 days prior, coughing and vomiting, and my mom finally told him he needed to go to the ER. She started to walk him out to the car, turned around to get her sandals, heard him say “Oh sh...” and when she turned around she saw him on the ground.

I wanted to post here because it was 5 or 6 years ago that my father started trying to fly RC planes, thanks to a friend of his who had gotten into it. My dad got me hooked, and I joined an RC club near where I lived in San Diego. I started flying quads before branching out into various fixed wing aircraft, and became a board member back in 2019 for the club.

The last time I saw my father, we got to fly together at the field, where I watched him perform his first ever loop with his Timber, his absolute favorite plane. I will have that, along with him visiting the field multiple times, smiling and sharing his 3D modeling knowledge with members, watching combat and night fly events, and just having a great time. He never felt like he belonged, but the people in the club made him feel welcome, and for that, I’m glad.

I'm so sorry for your loss. i wish there was something I could say or do to fix everything, but alas I'm a mere mortal. I offer my most sincere condolences to you and your family and wish you all a quick recovery

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member

godbless your family

GliderFlyer

Elite member

I'm glad that your last memory of him was a good one. I will remember you and your family in my prayers.

skymaster

Elite member

sorry for your loss. it's never easy letting go, some times you will come in to the house and call for them, and them realizing that they are no longer with us. DO NOT FORGET THEM KEEP THEM ALIVE IN YOU HEART.

sprzout

Mentor
sorry for your loss. it's never easy letting go, some times you will come in to the house and call for them, and them realizing that they are no longer with us. DO NOT FORGET THEM KEEP THEM ALIVE IN YOU HEART.

I had a moment like that already. My family used to use the “Find Friends” app on our iPhones to see where we were (I.e, work, at a doctor appt, etc) so we knew when would be an okay time to call.

I saw his phone showing he was at home yesterday, and actually started dialing before I realized he wasn’t going to pick up.

tesseract

Master member

I am so sorry for your loss. Remember the whole forum is here to help if you need anything.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@sprzout So sorry to see this. I saw the title and knew it wouldnt be good. I wish you and your family nothing but the best and I hope everyone of you have a similar good memory to hold on to. Take some time between all the family things that will be happening in the next week or so and go fly your dads plane and relive that memory mate.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Wow, so sorry to hear! My thoughts and prayers will be with your family.

sprzout

Mentor
Thank you all. This has been a very surreal ride.

My mom and I started going through everything today in the way of his RC stuff, looking over his planes that he had, his tools, the batteries, etc. and I told her that I’d be taking all of it with me.

Most of it will be donated to my RC club, like his Apprentice, which we would use for trainers, but there were a few planes I’ll be giving to specific members, like his Maxford T-tail glider, or his 1909 Demoiselle. Many of his tools will be donated as well, since I have duplicates (how many servo testers, glue guns, and covering irons does a modeler need, realistically? I know I don’t need 4 of each!!!)

I know it’ll all go to people who will appreciate it, and I’m likely to see people fly his planes at the club, so it makes me feel good knowing they’ll finally get a chance to fly.

All of this said, there are so many things that are still going to take months to deal with, and I know I’m going to be finding little things we need to deal with from his passing - his FB account, Apple account info for his computer, passwords for bank accounts/loans that my mom didn’t know, etc...

Bricks

Master member
So sorry for your loss it is never easy on anyone when a family member passes away. Hard to look at the bright side his passing was quick and not drawn out in a nursing home or...... or on life support.

There is a lesson to be learned here guy`s me included, never wanting to go in to see a doctor when things are not right or feeling off. Maybe time to schedule that physical that`s been put off for the past few years and make sure things are going OK. Use this as that motivation to get it done in honor of Sprouts fathers passing,

sprzout

Mentor
So sorry for your loss it is never easy on anyone when a family member passes away. Hard to look at the bright side his passing was quick and not drawn out in a nursing home or...... or on life support.

There is a lesson to be learned here guy`s me included, never wanting to go in to see a doctor when things are not right or feeling off. Maybe time to schedule that physical that`s been put off for the past few years and make sure things are going OK. Use this as that motivation to get it done in honor of Sprouts fathers passing,

Very true. My dad had a procedure called an ablation done back in Dec. of 2015; for the vast majority of people who have it done, there are no complications. Unfortunately, for my father, he was of the rare percentage that had a problem. His heart stopped with that procedure, and they brought him back.

We got another 5 years with him because he took care of himself after that, but we could’ve lost him then. So I’m counting the time we DID have together.

Phin G

Elite member

I just lost my uncle due to a stroke. He also was the one that hot me flying. He never flew after he lost his arm in a car accident. He was in a bad mental condition when i last saw him a year ago. I eould help him fly with his hand on the right stick and mine on the throttle. I loved travelling to essex to meet him and to fly at his farm. I built a plane with him and in his honour i have hung it on my ceiling.
The force shall be with him as he flys up to heaven . Goodbye uncle Alen.

Quinnyperks

Legendary member

Very sorry for your loss.

Hoomi

Master member
I had a moment like that already. My family used to use the “Find Friends” app on our iPhones to see where we were (I.e, work, at a doctor appt, etc) so we knew when would be an okay time to call.

I saw his phone showing he was at home yesterday, and actually started dialing before I realized he wasn’t going to pick up.
Our condolences. It doesn't seem to matter how old they are, or how old we are, we're never ready to lose a parent.

When it hit me the hardest after my Dad passed, was that first Father's Day. I started thinking, "I should call Dad today," before realizing that wasn't an option any longer. It's been over twelve years, and I still wish I could call him.