My first airplane

Dennister10

So I got my first airplane it's the aprentice 15e rtf I've watched a lot of videos on it and. I think I'm ready to fly so do guys have any tips for a newbie?:rolleyes:

earthsciteach

Welcome to the Flite Test Forum!

I know you will get plenty of helpful tips on here. Here are mine:

1) Don't feel bad if you crash. We all crash, particularly when first getting into the hobby.

2) Almost any crash can be repaired.

3) You picked a great plane to begin with. Make sure you are familiar with the functions of the controller. If you need to use the, "Oh, Crap" switch, make sure you can flip it without having to fumble around for it.

4) Higher is better. Too many beginners are afraid to fly much above the ground. That is the danger zone! Get up to at least 75 feet. Fly nice, lazy circles.

5) When landing, set up your approach ahead of time. Practice the approach to get a feel for where you need to be in order to land where you want to land.

6) When landing, let the plane sink as it desires. Don't push the nose down and don't try to hold the nose up. If it isn't heading for where you want it to, throttle up a bit and go around for another try.

7) Have fun!!!!! Don't take anything too seriously.

brian79cj

Welcome, You have picked a great plane. I agree with Teach. Find a large area and go for it. Make sure you're familiar with the controls and stay in SAFE mode for awhile. This plane will take off and land all by itself. More throttle it goes up, less it goes down.

Good luck,
Brian

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
A simulator never hurt any one.

And be patient. The weather isn't always favorable. Don't rush to fly. And yet, don't wait forever for a clear day. "Perfect flying days" aren't always common.

As Teach said, you will crash but it's very likely that it will be fixable. I broke my first plane in half, glued it back together, and then flew it again.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
All that has been said is perfect. The apprentice is an excellent plane. Learn that transmitter, then learn the plane. Learn why it turns, and find a good speed at about half throttle. Learn where you need be in order to land well. Now some of the basic tips.
1. If you don't crash, then you don't fly. It will most likely happen, but it can be fixed, always.
2. 3 mistakes high. With the "Oh Crap!" switch you will be able to recover, but do not rely on it, keep the plane high
3. Do not fly over yourself, it is disorienting and can be hard to tell if the plane is decending or not.
4. Elevator controls speed, throttle controls altitude. No! I am not crazy. Yes elevator can be used to dive or climb, but can you climb without adding throttle? Don't try, because uou will stall out, and the Oh Crap switch can't save you if you don't have lift
5. Learn level turns in both directions, circles are not turns, rectangles are, so practice them in both directions.
6. Enjoy the love of flight!!

mjmccarron

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby! My advice follows closely with those above. In addition, don't get discouraged. If things aren't working for you, seek advice. It's not as easy as it looks but with practice you'll get it. Also, Don't just respond to the planes movements. Plan your flight and try to stick to it. If you don't have an idea where you want it to go it will likely get ahead of you and that causes grief.

Good luck and keep us posted about your progress. I enjoy hearing about beginners success.

Mike

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Welcome!
You will do great, the apprentice is an excellent aircraft, and flies really well. When you do go flying, make sure that you find a large field (1000'x2000' or more) without many trees in it, because airplanes seem to have a magnet built into them that is only attracted to trees and sign posts. :p
I second iflyrcstuff's #4, if you learn to fly this way, you will get in so much less trouble.

Other than that, welcome to the hobby, and go have fun! :)