My First FT Spitfire came out Sweet !! Scratch Built Awesomeness !!

OGBugsy

Just wanted to share a few pics of my FT Spitfire. I think it came out pretty sweet. Should show up nice in the bright sky. :cool:

IMG_1481.JPG
IMG_1482.JPG
IMG_1484.JPG

Maiden coming soon...

Cheers,
OGBugsy

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Nice bright paint scheme man. You deff wont lose that in the sky. And i think this is the first ive seen one spinning wood prop. Good luck on the maiden

BanditJacksRC

Beautiful color scheme. You did a great job. I just finished up my first Spitfire, scratchbuild. Although I messed up big time on her. (folded the fuse as an "a fold" then had to cut her apart and re glue! :() I still looks okay tho. I will see how it flies soon.

Did you opt for the removeable wing?

Good luck with the maiden. I will be looking out for how it goes!

OGBugsy

The red and white are colored packing tape from eBay, and the other colors are shine brite sign vinyl from Fellers. They sell most vinyls by the yard and there is a Fellers sign supply in every major city.

Aeronaut

Build+Crash= +more power!
nice spit man! I am building one for my dad at the moment and the electronics just came in. what Electronics are you running?

OGBugsy

Thanks,
I use the O.S. motors. I have the .5 to the .25 sizes, but so far I have only used the .5 size (OMA-3805-1200) in a Mustang & Versa wing, and the .10 size (OMA-3810-1050) is in the Spitfire.

I use the Castle Creations esc's. Phoenix Edge lite 50amp in the spitfire and a 55amp on the Mustang and Versa.

MadDog 2600mAh 35c 3S pack

OrangeRx v3 stab/rx on all 3.

I am thoroughly impressed at the power the OS motors put out. I have unlimited climb and plenty of torque. There is a very small input to power lag, but as long as you know it's there, it's not a problem. Not sure of the flight time, but I have flown for over 10 min and still had half the pack left. The Castle esc's always run cool and have not had one fail yet (knock on wood). Have not flown the Spitfire yet but i'm sure it's going to be a rocket. I did have to add a second, larger, front wood plate on the powerpod firewalls to accommodate the larger motor mount. but an easy step to do. The OS motors are whisper quite as well if that matters to you. I like how I don't disturb anyone as much.

Def not the cheapest options by far, but they work as advertised. :)

IMG_1368.JPG
IMG_1490.JPG
IMG_1493.JPG
IMG_1497.JPG

OGBugsy

Aeronaut

Build+Crash= +more power!
thanks for replying,

I like the way you put the second piece of wood there for the motor mount. I am using a NTM 35-36 1400kv motor with a 9x6 apc prop and a 55amp turnigy trust esc. I wonder how the NTM will compare to the OS motor considering the NTM is probs way cheaper. I will probs need to do the wood thing that you did with my motor as well. A noob question too, how does the spinner attach?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Most spinners have a back plate that mounts between the prop and back of the prop adapter. tighten down the prop adapter on the motor shaft, then the pointy part of the spinner will then have a few screws that holds it on to the back plate over the prop.

so the order goes:

Motor -> prop adapter back -> spinner back -> prop -> prop adapter nut -> spinner cover(screwed into the spinner back)