My FT spitfire maiden and scratch built maiden ( videos )

FishingMEDIC

Weather was GORGEOUS here in S.E. Texas. 60 degrees, not a cloud and barely a wisp of wind. Went over to my dad's house and loaded his and my planes and off to the field.

My dad flew his apprentice and once again, he crashed. LOL, unfortunately I didn't get that on video.

Next was my FT spitfire and my completely scratch built " big fugly ".

The Spitfire is a dream to fly! These FT guys did an amazing job setting these kits up! It flew like a champ, very predictable and stable. I wasn't sure how I would do, being this was my first low wing plane, and my 2nd rc plane EVER. Simply amazing! I will definitely be ordering some more swappable kits!

On with the spitfire video!!

http://youtu.be/5eDlOKptDy8

At the end, apparently my left aileron servo wire wasn't secured properly and came off. I was stuck in a right turn. I say rudder first in the video because that was the first thing I could spit out. LOL. No harm done with the landing thankfully. Just needed a new nut, and back in business.

Next was my scratch built. 2-3 sheets of dollar store foam ( I can't remember exactly ). I made the fuselage using Experimental airlines technique, and made the wing using what i learned on FT. This plane was tail heavy from the beginning, but not terribly so. I figured I'd try it anyway.

What a blast it was!! Tail weight made it want to go nose up, but was correctable. ( CG was about 3/4 inch back from center of the wing ) with stubby wings and rather large control surfaces, she flew like a true sport plane. Awesome rolls and loops! Only future adjustments on this plane will be to adjust the CG, and strengthen the motor mount.

http://youtu.be/ag8TwVOrGWw

Thanks for watching!! I love this new hobby, and hope to play for years to come!!

Jimmyp

Way to go on your builds. Building is so much fun. Its exiting to take the new plane that you built yourself and get the satisfaction of the maiden flight.

I just finished my spitfire but have yet to do the maiden flight. It's minus 17 c right now here in Canada but I may take it out to the field anyway just to see how it flies. I will post the video when I do.