My MUTTS

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I saw that but it seemed to include only one wing side. Do you have the tail pieces? The power pod modification, etc?
Power Pod Mod will be done on another post! may complete it today for those interested.

I have not added the tail pieces yet but they are on my todo list.

The wing plan just needs to be mirrored for the other side and it needs to have spar locations, servo locations, and the spars themselves added. It is easier to do the additions on the single wing and then just copy and mirror the completed wing plan to get the other side wing!

Servo locations now done, on the original wing so they can be transferred to the plan, possibly tonight local time! Additionally the access hole in the wing centre underside for the servo leads has been done and tested so it can be added also.

Tail servo locations subject to user preference and balance requirements of course!

Subject to user requirements I may even consider adding a lengthened tail boom plan for those who cannot get their version to balance!

Still in progress of course but the fitting of the battery should be achieved today or tomorrow subject to time available!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Well it is all assembled and ready to go! All up weight came in at just under 700 grams with no special lightening undertaken.

The battery fits just behind the powerpod, (only just)! There is a distinct lack of space in the forward fuselage! So rather than force matters I will sling the battery under the fuselage for the first couple of flights to allow for quick shifting of the battery to get the balance point accurately!

I glued the main wheels to a piece of 3mm ply and taped it to the fuselage, (in case I find a need to shift it to get better rotation on take off and stable taxiing.

I may take a 8x4.7 prop as well in case the ESC gets too hot as there is not much cooling in the standard TT fuselage.The current setup generates sufficient thrust to cause the wing to lift against the rubber bands fitted to hold it in place. Additional rubber bands will be required and fitted!

Tomorrow is scheduled maiden day if the weather holds out! I seems like it may be a memorable day, (one way or the other)!

Have fun!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That Propdrive 2826 motor a 3 cell with a 8x4.7 prop will put out about 74 watts and 500 grams of thrust. So you're in a good power to weight ratio - with a 10x4.5 prop you'll be pushing 680 grams of thrust, and the motor is rated up to a 4 cell where you can push 1000 grams of thrust!

I think you've got a rocket ship on your hands with this one when you prop it up, and it should be a good sport flyer on the smaller prop too! :D

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Maiden completed, actually got three flights in! Not as fast as I had hoped BUT I did drop the motor size back to the 2812 1534kV with a 7 x 6 prop. Only used moderate flaps deflection but the effect was definitely noticable and positive on landing.

I does fly inverted BUT it has a large camber flat bottomed wing and so needed significant down elevator to remain in level inverted flight. Totally expected!

Rolls were slow and deliberate with a full roll being completed in around 2 seconds!

Rudder was excellent and without touching the ailerons it was possible to do a banked turn and recover using rudder and elevator only! Aileron turns were easier of course and the rudder could oppose the ailerons quite strongly.

The weight on the nose wheel was very light and the nose tended to bounce a little on take off but nothing that cannot be easily controlled.

There was no significant veering on take off and the plane tended to climb straight from take off.

The CG range tested was from the front edge of the forward spar to the rear edge of the front spar. Actually it flew almost equally on both settings and I did not need to adjust trim regardless of the cg position tested once the first elevator trim was performed during the first flight.

Summary; It definitely does not fly like a TT anymore. It actually reminded me of the handling I get from my FB Ugly Stick which I suppose was my aim in the project overall. Not a beginner plane but a good second plane that is for sure and a good upgrade when your TT gets a little boring! It was the least taxing maiden I have even completed and I have done quite a few now!

The third post on this thread has been updated with a few maiden photos for those who wish to inspect them.

If you have any questions just ask!

Have fun!

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
2GB of video but I refuse to post on social media. FliteTest does not accept such large size files so screenshots are all I provide. perhaps in the future if my son returns to the hobby videos will become available!

Have fun!
Try and ask @kilroy07 how he gets those moving GIFs. That would do for the first couple minutes.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Try and ask @kilroy07 how he gets those moving GIFs. That would do for the first couple minutes.
I have mine on YouTube. And @Hai-Lee already mentioned his dislike for that platform, so probably a non-starter.
Which I understand, I don’t twit,fb or any of those either. I see them as a waste of time, but I do like sharing my flights.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I have mine on YouTube. And @Hai-Lee already mentioned his dislike for that platform, so probably a non-starter.
Which I understand, I don’t twit,fb or any of those either. I see them as a waste of time, but I do like sharing my flights.
I was more focused on how do you get a moving GIF. @DamoRC has one for the speeder bike and the diamond, I think. @Hai-Lee could post those as proof. I'm sure internet of things could provide the lesson. I learn best from others.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@bracesport , @FoamyDM , @Namactual , @kilroy07 .
Gentlemen, Whilst I may soon have a suitable solution to the current lack of videos to substantiate my claims of flight/s, I do currently have a google drive which has the relevant videos stored for public access.

The three flights of this model are stored there and the links are below for you to download and view at your leisure.

The original Maiden video is just that!
The maiden video is actually the second flight where I took off with flaps and landed without.
The 3rd flight video is actually the third flight and used a standard, (no flaps), take off and a flaps deployed landing.

Unfortunately I did not try to see how slow it would land as I am still not dialed in on its performance and it was a little windy here!

Links:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T0lGZKQqGWulfV6Ht1_0BTJU4UkdpJ9W/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J7ta_w2U23bQktsOzrpPyvkDTu1XVnyD/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lsCnc5vSdvA1fnOpSKQhmgs0cHcqyW9A/view?usp=sharing

Have fun!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Wow @Hai-Lee that’s one sweet looking build!
You mentioned sealing then painting, can I ask what you are using to seal?
(My planes are living longer now and I want to start upgrading the finishing process to make them look nicer)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Wow @Hai-Lee that’s one sweet looking build!
You mentioned sealing then painting, can I ask what you are using to seal?
(My planes are living longer now and I want to start upgrading the finishing process to make them look nicer)
I seal them using a wipe on oil based varnish similar to minwax.

By sealing I can use ANY paint finish I wish or have to hand AND the cheap packing tape which I use from time to time to hold pieces in place does not damage the sealed surface as it does with unsealed paper. I even use the minwax on the paper decks as it strengthens them and resists water and creases.

Have fun!