My Quad-copter :o)

davyg

Aww Hell NO!:( I had planned on building the RCexplorer.se Tricopter.... and then I found and read your thread.....now I want a quad.....
This is my first time foray into RC vehicles and I am more confused that ever before... Your Thread has been great reading, and I thank you for taking the time to keep it updated as your build progressed and got modified along the way...
what is your opinion on this outfit http://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk/Quad-Copter-Full-Motor-ESC-Set-850Kv-p/acq-fmk85.htm and what else would I need to get my quad up and flying.... cheers in advance for any replies... :cool:

hi everyone, i was wondering if somebody can help me with this. I'm setting up my quadcopter, however when i connected the battery in and throttle up the motors didnt start. I tried individual motor and esc and they worked just fine. Any thoughts? could the board be DOA?

Hi guys, i have another question. I'm using hobbyking v2 control board with Emax 1600kv motor, 12A turnigy plush. My problem is when i throttle up one of the motor is slower than the other 3. Is that gonna be a problem and how do i fix it.
Also the other problem is when i increase the throttle to like 30 40% the quad just topple over. thoughts?
Thanks

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hi guys, i have another question. I'm using hobbyking v2 control board with Emax 1600kv motor, 12A turnigy plush. My problem is when i throttle up one of the motor is slower than the other 3. Is that gonna be a problem and how do i fix it.
Also the other problem is when i increase the throttle to like 30 40% the quad just topple over. thoughts?
Thanks

Have you set the throttle endpoints on the ESC? Also, have you checked for reversed gyros?

See here for a good manual.

http://rcexplorer.se/Educational/kkguide/kkguide.html

yep i did all that... in fact i just re-calibrated my throttle range and it still displays the same problem. Everything else is fine except that the 4th motor M4 is slower than the other 3. M1 to M3 start at the same throttle level.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
yep i did all that... in fact i just re-calibrated my throttle range and it still displays the same problem. Everything else is fine except that the 4th motor M4 is slower than the other 3. M1 to M3 start at the same throttle level.

That's called lazy motor #4 problem - it's a bug in the firmware, install an older firmware to fix it.

so I bought the hobbyking control board 4 weeks ago, do you know which firmware does it come with? and which firmware should I load now? I heard so much about the v4.7, is it newer than the one that hobbyking preinstalled their board with?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
so I bought the hobbyking control board 4 weeks ago, do you know which firmware does it come with? and which firmware should I load now? I heard so much about the v4.7, is it newer than the one that hobbyking preinstalled their board with?

RCExplorer.com

The HK KK boards comes pre-flashed with the ”+” Quad KK firmware.

Someone on the HobbyKing product discussion stated that it was probably v4.5.

I flashed it with 4.6 today, still had lazy motor problem but as soon as it took off the problem disappeared. flew great, very stable hovering, I however broke a landing gear after a hard landing. it's the cheap hk plywood frame so I can't complain.
thanks for your help.

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Well my Hexa is on hold.......AGAIN. @!#$%&*(+%$#@!@%#%$&@%#$!

Having a problem with 2 of the motors. The company is saying that it sounds like an ESC issue. so I took the 4 working motors, and built a new Quad frame, and wouldn't ya know it, it so far flys GREAT. (with the ESC's that are in question)

In fact this new Quad, and new boom (new version of the one I have been making) just captured literally the most vibration-free footage I have ever got to date. (pretty excited bout that) I will post the flight video tonight.

Here are some pics of this latest Quad (ANGRY BIRD) ;)

Quadropower (Cinestar Revolution) motors
Venom 3600mah 5S lipo (50C)
APC 14x4.7 props
emax 60amp ESC's

2012-04-12_18-06-04_575.jpg 2012-04-12_18-06-16_826.jpg 2012-04-12_18-06-35_25.jpg 2012-04-12_18-06-57_842.jpg

With the other mount, I carried the Canon 60D DSLR camera, with an 18-135mm lens for 8 min. (these motors are powerful)

Cheers!

Eric

Last edited:

UndCon

UndCon
Looks good!

I use 10mm arms on my builds and I have no issues what so ever.
My current problem is that the center plates are not strong enough (they are from Flyduino)

//UndCon

davyg

Well. Finally built my Tri (2nd build) 578555_3561332039389_1455454470_3170027_1163855960_n.jpg

Having problems getting the thing into a stable hover.... I have tried using the Trim tabs on the TX unit.... Tri just takes off and I have no control over it... have to cut the motors to get it back to the ground... I hasten to add that I am a complete NooB at RC, so that could be a contributing factor to erratic flying... is there any steps to take to try and get the machine stable before take off... I have heard of "Ground Effect", but this also should help with a stable hover when the tri is only a few inches off the ground...

be grateful for any pointers, flight sim is not an option as my Hitec Optic 6 sport would not work with a USB interface cable hooked up to my computer..

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
That is so cool

Thanks man! ;)

Looks good!
I use 10mm arms on my builds and I have no issues what so ever.
My current problem is that the center plates are not strong enough (they are from Flyduino)//UndCon

Hey Und, I had that problem a while back, so I went to using 1/8" thick aircraft ply, and I cut them so that the grain of the wood on the top plate runs perpendicular to the grain on the bottom plate. Works like a charm. ;)

Nice eric, Cant wait to see more fab video!! Boom looks funky too.
keep it coming :)
Mark

Thanks Mark! video is posted in the next post below. the boom is just an "upgraded" experiment of my first single rail boom, this one is it from what I can see, the video from it is fantastic. ;)

Well. Finally built my Tri (2nd build) View attachment 3687

Having problems getting the thing into a stable hover.... I have tried using the Trim tabs on the TX unit.... Tri just takes off and I have no control over it... have to cut the motors to get it back to the ground... I hasten to add that I am a complete NooB at RC, so that could be a contributing factor to erratic flying... is there any steps to take to try and get the machine stable before take off... I have heard of "Ground Effect", but this also should help with a stable hover when the tri is only a few inches off the ground...

be grateful for any pointers, flight sim is not an option as my Hitec Optic 6 sport would not work with a USB interface cable hooked up to my computer..

Davy, first thing that I would say, is that if you are getting unstable flight characteristics immediately on take-off.....either you have no expos dialed in...... or at least one of your gyros are reversed. either of those could cause that.

lemme know.

Cheers!

Eric

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Here is a video from the new Angry Bird

it is raw footage, you will see at the beginning when I slam the throttle....the footage doesn't get any jello.

soooo happy right now about that.

Cheers!

Eric

davyg

Eric: thanks for the reply

don't know if this info makes any sense to you.. it is all the settings from my Hitec..

Hitec Optic 6 Sport

Settings

HELI MODE

All trim tabs on TX set to zero

EPA On all channels are set at 100%

D/R set to 100% for channels 1-2-4

EXP set to 100% for channels 1-2-4

S.TRIM set to 0% on channels 1 through 6

S.REV set to normal on channels 1-3-4-5-6 channel 2 set to REV

P.MIX no idea?

T.CV set to 0% on channels 1-5

p.cv set to 0% on channels 1-5

GYRO : 0%

RVMX: 0%

HOLD: 0%

CUT: 0% Channel 3

FLT.C On

been trying for a while to get the bird airbourne and just hover with no success so far, once up and in level(ish) flight then I should be able to trim things out a tad smoother from there...

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Eric: thanks for the reply

don't know if this info makes any sense to you.. it is all the settings from my Hitec..

Hitec Optic 6 Sport

Settings

HELI MODE

All trim tabs on TX set to zero

EPA On all channels are set at 100%

D/R set to 100% for channels 1-2-4

EXP set to 100% for channels 1-2-4

S.TRIM set to 0% on channels 1 through 6

S.REV set to normal on channels 1-3-4-5-6 channel 2 set to REV

P.MIX no idea?

T.CV set to 0% on channels 1-5

p.cv set to 0% on channels 1-5

GYRO : 0%

RVMX: 0%

HOLD: 0%

CUT: 0% Channel 3

FLT.C On

been trying for a while to get the bird airbourne and just hover with no success so far, once up and in level(ish) flight then I should be able to trim things out a tad smoother from there...

The first thing that I see, is you have it in "heli mode" multi-rotors from my experience all fly on "airplane" mode. because the is no need for collective pitch/throttle mixing on a multi-rotor. (at least not yet anyways, I am sure that technology will get us there eventually)

set it up in airplane mode and go from there. def lemme know how it goes.

I will try to help ya as much as I can. ;)

Cheers!

Eric

davyg

The first thing that I see, is you have it in "heli mode" multi-rotors from my experience all fly on "airplane" mode. because the is no need for collective pitch/throttle mixing on a multi-rotor. (at least not yet anyways, I am sure that technology will get us there eventually)

set it up in airplane mode and go from there. def lemme know how it goes.

I will try to help ya as much as I can. ;)

Cheers!

Eric

Cheers.. will set it up in ACRO mode then...;) and see how it goes from there...