My Quad-copter :o)

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Cheers.. will set it up in ACRO mode then...;) and see how it goes from there...

It should be good then. Also, another thing to watch for with tri-copters is that your yaw gyro is not reversed. If it is, the gyro will compensate the wrong way, and send you into a violent pirouette. trick with those is to run up your copter while its in your hand. (props off for safety) and then yaw the copter to the left, and see which way your tail servo "leans" your motor. If you yaw the copter to the left, the tail motor assembly should lean towards the left. (which in turn gives thrust to create a right turn which counter-acts the left turn creating stability) If it leans to the right, it will add to the yaw that you input from your TX and cause it to spin.

If this doesn't make sense, I can make a quick video to show it. lemme know! good luck, can't wait to see it flying. :)

Cheers!

Eric

davyg

Eric, I greatly appreciate your time and patience here...

What I have so far.....

If I tilt the front of the Tri forward the rear motor slows down, When I tilt the copter up the rear motor speeds up, when I tilt the copter to the right the left motor slows down as does the right motor when I tilt the copter to the left.

When I turn the copter to the right by hand (yaw, I think?) the rear servo tilts the motor to the left and vice versa for the other direction, using the rudder stick on the TX has the same affect... (looking from front to rear of copter)

all pots on the KK controller board are set to 50% (using the V3 Blue Board), not sure of what firmware is on the board..

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Eric, I greatly appreciate your time and patience here...

What I have so far.....

If I tilt the front of the Tri forward the rear motor slows down, When I tilt the copter up the rear motor speeds up, when I tilt the copter to the right the left motor slows down as does the right motor when I tilt the copter to the left.

When I turn the copter to the right by hand (yaw, I think?) the rear servo tilts the motor to the left and vice versa for the other direction, using the rudder stick on the TX has the same affect... (looking from front to rear of copter)

all pots on the KK controller board are set to 50% (using the V3 Blue Board), not sure of what firmware is on the board..

No prob man! Glad to help ya.....thats what we are all here for. ;)

Everything sounds right except for the yaw. When you turn the nose of the copter to the right, the tail should lean to the right. (when it leans to the right it directs the thrust of the prop to the left and counters your right input to stabilize)

What brand of KK board are you flying? (example my KK's are called flycam boards by minsoo kim from korea)

Cheers,

Eric

davyg

sorry for hijacking your thread here...;)

here is a little video of the yaw mechanism in action

The KK Board is HobbyKing KK Tricopter Board v3..
2012-04-13 17.29.39.jpg

I have now reversed the YAW... will have to test it all out soon.... I had to increase the D/R back to 100% as the I was unable to disarm the board with the 60% setting that I had in the TX setup menu..

I thought that when you moved the rudder stick to the right then the front of the copter would yaw to the right and vice versa.... Now It is set up as move stick to right the yaw mount tilts the motor to the right (looking from rear to front of copter)

Last edited:

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
sorry for hijacking your thread here...;)

here is a little video of the yaw mechanism in action

The KK Board is HobbyKing KK Tricopter Board v3..
View attachment 3689

I have now reversed the YAW... will have to test it all out soon.... I had to increase the D/R back to 100% as the I was unable to disarm the board with the 60% setting that I had in the TX setup menu..

Hey Davy!

No worries man, like I said, glad to help ya......wanna see ya get it in the air successfully. ;)

The way that it is operating in the video is correct. ;) when the nose goes to the right, the motor leans toward the right. looks good! should fly great!

As far as D/R's, everyone has preferences, I run mine all at 100%

my expos are set at:

aileron=70
elevator=70
rudder = 22 (for the tri-copter)

Hope this helps! Let us all know what happens! :)

Cheers!

Eric

Johntra

Eric, I wanted to ask you what you made the body of your mulitrotors out of? Did you just make them out of balsa ply and paint them or is it something else?

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Davy,

after watching the video of your tail, I checked out a few others, and the one called tricopter unstable.....I noticed that it was sitting unlevel when you went to take off. You'll want to make sure that you have the copter sitting as level as possible when you plug in the board, and on initial run-up just before takeoff. this allows the KK boards gyro's to "know" what level is. Right at lift off the gyro's initialize, if the copter is not level when this happens, it won't "know" where level is, and it will fly goofy.

just thought i would throw that in there.

Also, I noticed that you are a MTN biker. I do that too! I ride a Specialized. gonna use the quadcopter to get aerials at the trial over the summer to make a sweet video!

Cheers!

Eric

Last edited:

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Eric, I wanted to ask you what you made the body of your mulitrotors out of? Did you just make them out of balsa ply and paint them or is it something else?

Hey Johntra,

I make all my centers out of aircraft ply from our local hobby shop. My bigger machines I use 1/8" and my smaller ones I use 3/32"

then I paint them with good ole Krylon spray paint from Wally-mart ;)

Cheers!

Eric

davyg

I may have found the problem with my unstable Tri.... I was testing it today in the home and I noticed that the left hand motor was sitting at a slight angle (tilted rearwards), this in turn was exacerbating the anti-clockwise movement of the Tri...and it was also making me add the wrong trim to try to correct this movement... I then disarmed the board,checked and set all motors upright, tried the copter again and it went into a short but stable hover until one of the motors slipped out of the vertical position... back to the drawing board for me as it is obvious that the cable ties are not holding the motors in an upright position..... I have since stripped the copter down and will re-build with suitable mounts for the motors.... lets hope this corrects the problems..... :applause:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I may have found the problem with my unstable Tri.... I was testing it today in the home and I noticed that the left hand motor was sitting at a slight angle (tilted rearwards), this in turn was exacerbating the anti-clockwise movement of the Tri...and it was also making me add the wrong trim to try to correct this movement... I then disarmed the board,checked and set all motors upright, tried the copter again and it went into a short but stable hover until one of the motors slipped out of the vertical position... back to the drawing board for me as it is obvious that the cable ties are not holding the motors in an upright position..... I have since stripped the copter down and will re-build with suitable mounts for the motors.... lets hope this corrects the problems..... :applause:

You could make your own thread, you know!

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Hey guys!

here is a compilation of aerials that I have collected off of the tri-copter and quadcopter over the last 8 months. (including stuff from a gig that I filmed in Orlando) Hope you all enjoy! :eek:)

Cheers!

Eric

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Three seconds and I recognized the song - I think TBS has used it on one of their videos as well.

Excellent footage! So this is the best of the best? I'm sure you've got plenty of bloopers to share.