My Tricopter builds

vk2dxn

Got my first full run today @ 20:50 of hover time.
I am super happy with that because with the fpv gear on and running I'm guessing 15-17 min.
The mk2 is like flying an oversized over sensitive blade MSR without the tea cup action, I love it.
For a hover it takes a bit of getting used to the throttle stick but is totally manageable with no wind. As soon as a gust blows it changes the game however I find that with the steeper pitch props it has bucket loads of power to correct it self and plow itself straight through the wind.

Next step is to mount the modded roll/pitch gimbal and use the camera stab V1.6 firmware in the KK2.
I'm still waiting for the boscam HD19 camera to come in the mail

vk2dxn

Update

Got the camera gimbal on and trimmed up and went to have a quick fly to get a feel for it and found out that the yaw mech has been rounded out where is connects to the servo. I tell you what I have had a gut full of this thing. I'm very tempted to get an extra motor/esc and convert it to a v tail.

vk2dxn

Right....
I have now pulled up stumps with the yaw mech.
Last night whilst having one of coopers brewery's finest drops I flipped open the laptop and opened my wallet for another ntm28-30 800kV motor and Afro 30A ESC. I'm defiantly giving this Vtail craze a whirl and see if I like it

kah00na

Hey mate I am using a tunigy nano tech 4500mah 4s

With your batteries off, how much does your tricopter weigh? Also, what size and type of propellers do you have on it now? I saw you were experimenting with different sizes and pitches throughout this forum.

vk2dxn

My bad I forgot the fpv gear, I will weigh it again tonight and let you know,
When I got the 20min flight it was without the fpv gear and was something like 900-1100g sorry I can't remember exactly

vk2dxn

Measured it tonight with fpv gear and camera gimbal plus props comes to 1020g. I don't know total weight of fpv gear but guessing it is 250-300g. The 20min flight was made without av tx, camera gimbal or camera.

kah00na

With the tri only it came to 1100g from memory, think I wrote the weight in a previous post, the props are 12x6e

My order of 10" and 11" propellers just arrived yesterday. Now I'm thinking I should have thrown in some 12" ones also. Great...

kah00na

I'm using the one David W. uses on his tricopter. Alot of pictures of it and weight specs are in the "Wooden Bat Bones Frame Build" forum. It is real fun to fly. I'm waiting on goggles to arrive to start doing some FPV. That is why I'm interested in your 20 minute flight time. :)

vk2dxn

just an update to my builds.
I have now ditched the rear Yaw mech in favour of building a Vtail.
the first vtail does have a lot of twist in the rear boom but other than that it was a success.
total flight time was 17min stopping at 12.5v (4s 4500mah).
it is still using the ntm 28-30s 800kV and 12x6 props.

the vid is still uploading at the time i posted this so check back soon if it is not working

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I think it has to be shorter than 15 minutes to post if you are not a Pro user or whatever they call the pay accounts

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I think it has to be shorter than 15 minutes to post if you are not a Pro user or whatever they call the pay accounts

Don't think you need a pay account -- I don't and I've gotten around it . .. But I don't quite know why.

I remember posting a 20min vid, it complained, then said If I was a "verified user" (or some such nonsense) they'd remove the restriction. It had me give a cell number and enter the text it sent. since jumping through that hoop, I've had no problems.

Dunno if this would work outside the US, though . . .

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I had a vid that was just over 15 and it was giving me issues and asking to setup...something. I assumed it was the pay/pro whatever, but it was about 9-10 months ago. Hard to remember that far back...