Naze32 Setting Issues

Hello all,

I just finished building my first proper 250 size quadcopter which I have dubbed Lazarus, as it has the hardware of a HK spec 250 (which was pretty awful) combined with a more advanced Naze32 Rev 6, RMRC Valorem frame, and a real power distribution board (gee whiz!). I gave it it's maiden flight and it flies decently well, not too much power or anything, but enough to make it an acceptable beater quad.That being said, there are some issues regarding flight characteristics, and I'm hoping you might be able to answer some of these.

First, there's an issue with the throttle control. The throttle won't engage until I'm at about 30% of the stick range which is a bit of a pain when flying. It's almost as if the throttle deadband is set too high, but I can't find any evidence of that

Second, there's an issue with arming. I like having the quad armed with a switch instead of the sticks as I find it to be a bit safer (let me know if I should change this). When I need to arm, I have to fiddle around with the throttle stick and the three position switch until the motors spin up, indicating that it is armed.

Also, though this isn't imperative to the functionality of the quadcopter, what are some good PID settings for freestyle flying? I don't have any FPV gear on this quad as I don't intend to use it for FPV (yet). I'm just looking to make it perhaps a bit snappier. I haven't mastered the art of fine tuning quadcopters.

Cheers,
Cameron C.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Have you set up your channel endpoints? In the receiver tab you can see what the FC see's in terms of ranges. You need to adjust your transmitter (servo travel, endpoints, the name varies) so that you are 1000 at minimum and 2000 at maximum. This should help with your throttle and arming, let us know.

Yup, that fixed it! I totally overlooked that.

Also, I think part of it also has to do with the fact that I'm flying it with a 2200mah battery which is, for this quad, quite heavy. I'm waiting on some 1300mah batteries.

Thanks for the speedy response,
Cameron C.

P.S.
If anyone has any suggestions for PID settings, let me know!

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Glad you got that working. Unfortunately I don't think we can recommend any PIDs because they are different for each build and unless someone has the exact same build as you their PIDs won't mean much for you. Luckily the stock PIDs on Clean/Betaflight are pretty good for starting out. Fortunately to get snappier flight characteristics it is not all about PIDs. What you need to do is increase the rates. In the tuning tab there is pitch roll and yaw rates, and in the receiver tab there is rc rate. I recommend increasing rc rate slowly until you find snappiness to your liking.