need advice

grego-509

Okay so I'm new to the hobby and I bought a hubsan spyhawk ready to fly kit. It came with the transmitter, and plane with all electronics with just a little bit of assembly to do. Is the transmitter from hubsan able to work with other receivers or do I need to buy another transmitter? And if so what is a versatile 6 channel transmitter that I could get for under $100? I would prefer to buy from hobby king because a lot of stuff that flite test does is through products sold on hobby king. Are there any good but relatively low cost transmitter and receiver combinations? I want to compose a set up that I can build into a foam board plane. If you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. A list of parts from transmitter to receiver to motor ect. Would be very helpful

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
No, any transmitter bought RTF except dx5e will not be compatible with anything else. All hobhy king sells is taranis or spektrum or jr. These are all good, but they are expensive and orange tx/jr operate on dsm2, you want dsmx. Another option is to go with the fly sky t6 (fs-t6) it has almost every function as the dx6i, and is 55$. This is an amazing transmitter that will do almost everything that a 6 channel should do (mixes, throttle curve, dr/expo, throttle hold, 20 model memory, etc.) Above 100 are the tactic 650s and dx6 and dx6i (I would go dx6i)

the list will vary plane to plane, but here are some general things you may need, these are all generalization prices, if you want specific I can get you that, but this should give you a reasonable estimate of the price. Recievers vary a lot, it all depends who the transmitter is from, how many channels it has so you will habe to look that one up youself, 4 channels range from 15 to 30, and a couple can be way dofferent, so look that one up. HAPPY FLYING!!!!

transmitter 100
foamboard 4
motor (about 1300kv) roughly 20
8x4 prop 3 to 6
20A esc roughly 15
1300 3s to 2200 3s 10 to 30
2 to 4 9g servos 6 to 20
piano wire for pushrods 3
extra for misc. 3

grego-509

thanks for the reply :)

thank you so much for your advice and time. if you don't mind, could i ask for a list of everything you use for electronics to get your personal homebuilt rc planes in the air?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Get a Turnigy 9X or 9XR (also marketed as FlySky from some vendors) OR get a Taranis. Cost is between $100 for Turnigy and $200 for Taranis.

Turnigy receivers are $9 each and Taranis receivers are $15 and up to $35 or so (telemetry receivers).

Taranis receivers (FrSky) have the best range for out of box equipment too. YMMV

Taranis is the way to go if you plan to be in this hobby for years. It has features previously only found on $1000+ radios.

Thurmond

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Get a Turnigy 9X or 9XR (also marketed as FlySky from some vendors) OR get a Taranis. Cost is between $100 for Turnigy and $200 for Taranis.

Turnigy receivers are $9 each and Taranis receivers are $15 and up to $35 or so (telemetry receivers).

Taranis receivers (FrSky) have the best range for out of box equipment too. YMMV

Taranis is the way to go if you plan to be in this hobby for years. It has features previously only found on $1000+ radios.

Thurmond

Amen. The taranis is amazing, and I love it. I regret to inform you that my presonal list cannot be found, but this list is the lost for my "crazy person" plane, yeah, I said it, CRAZY!!!
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__64905__APC_Style_Propeller_8x6_2_pc_US_Warehouse_.html
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12919__D2826_6_2200kv_Outrunner_Motor.html
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2165__TURNIGY_Plush_40amp_Speed_Controller.html
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__662__HXT900_9g_1_6kg_12sec_Micro_Servo.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13MG1G16409T3N9PYP9K

and a 2200 or 1300 3s
also, the plane is tiny but mighty, and can drop marbles...
HAPPY FLYING!!!

I cant believe that you run a 8x6 prop on that motor. This is one of my favourite motors as its fast and strong and cheap but I have issues on a 7x4 prop with heat and went down to a 6x4. Allot cooler and only slightly slower. If you can run a 8x6 prop that thing would be a bullet but man it must get hot. I have this motor on my bixler and my versa wing and its awesome. I even have a 60amp esc on the bix just to keep that part cool. I have not burnt a motor out yet but have had it so hot I could not touch, and smelled it straight away.

Great list thow. All low cost and super products.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Oh yeah, it gets really hot, and the esc, well it is on the outside of the airframe. It is literall rubberbanded to the outside with heat resistant bands, but it goes crazy fast, and scares the neighbors dog hehe... The motor has yet to burn out on it, so I guess we will see what happens, it is a rather irresponsible setup though.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, it gets really hot, and the esc, well it is on the outside of the airframe. It is literall rubberbanded to the outside with heat resistant bands, but it goes crazy fast, and scares the neighbors dog hehe... The motor has yet to burn out on it, so I guess we will see what happens, it is a rather irresponsible setup though.

Push it as much as you can it would be good to know how much heat these can take