Need Help with Motor Problem, Scratch Build Power Pod

Logarn

Hi,

first time poster here :).

Small Intro (feel free to Skip):
I startet RC flying after I stumbled on the Flite Test Beginner series in YouTube. I decided that I want to build from Scratch. After flying for some time the FT Flyer I built the FT Delta to learn to yank and bank. Then I had the worst crash so far, which broke my prop and bent the shaft. I fixed the shaft but I had to order a new Prop. The first three flights went very smooth.

But now to the reason why I am writing this:
Sometimes when I throttle up with the new prop, above 60 % or so, it just cuts the throttle. I don't think it's the ESC because it makes this weird grinding noise while doing so. Then I have to throttle all the way back to 0 %, and then back up and the motor turns again. When I let it rest some time, sometimes I can use full throttle two to three times before it does it again, and from then on it is everytime. Without prop the Motor turns just fine, even at full throttle. I filmed a quick video in which you can see the problem.

My set up is the following:

Prop:
8x4E Slow-Fly

Motor & ESC bought together
Motor:
Robbe Roxxy-Outrunner 28-12
1720 kv
6,2 A; 7-9 V (2S LiPo)

ESC:
10 A (max. 12A for 10s)

LiPo:
2S 450 mAh 30C

I hope you can help me, if I forgot some needed specs I will happily add them on request :).

Thanks in advance,
Logarn

Raptortech

Foam Addict
It's hard for me to say exactly what your problem is right off the bat.

What I can tell you is that the way I normally approach these types of issues is to isolate the cause of the problem. This means you should try to test your motor with a different ESC. If the issue persists, then it was probably the motor. If the problem goes away, then it must have been the ESC.

EDIT:
I should also note that these kinds of problems also come down to poor solder joints, so make sure you check those too!

Logarn

Thank you for your fast reply. I will try to have a look at my solder joints. Although i have to order some shrinking tube first, so that might take some time. I will keep you updated.

Logarn

Hi Balu,

thanks, jep, i'm from Germany :).

I am using the provided ESC, which was pre-soldered to the motor. I am new to soldering so I will try to deisolate the wires to see if there is obvious damage to one of them, before wrecking them :D.
I added a picture of the manual.
IMG_20150203_233209140.jpg

Last edited:

PhenomPilot

Welcome Logarn! If you are able, I would take the motor apart to make sure the magnets aren't rubbing against the stator and that the magnets are not broken and in place. Just be careful not to shoot or break the clip that holds the motor together.

Logarn

PhenomPilot

They shouldn't be sticking up like that. Try to push them in but don't force them. If they move that means your magnets came loose and need to be re epoxied. If they don't move then I am at a loss.

Logarn

I pushed them back in, took quite some force, but now they are back in Place. Unfortunately the problem still persists :-(. I have some big exams next month so the ESC switch will have to wait till April.
I will keep you updated, thanks again for the help :).

Logarn

Okay, so finally the promised Update:
My new ESC finally arrived and after switching it for an 12 A (14 A Burst ) ESC everything works fine.
Now I have to learn to fly again.
Thanks for your support!