Needed - A Guide to Connecting Graupner Receivers to the Flight Controller

WildParsnip

I've been flying for about a year now, on and off and have been using the Graupner GR-18 receiver/flight controller. I would like to move away from using the GR-18 and start using a separate receiver and flight controller, such as the SPRacing F4EVO. For the most part, building a miniquad is a concept I have a firm grasp on, but the one thing I have been avoiding is learning how flight controllers are set up. I have no idea how SBUS or SUMD or any of that works. All I think I know is that I use Graupner and apparently Graupner uses SUMD (Whatever SUMD is). I can't seem to find any guide that is simple enough to comprehend and detailed enough to feel like I actually understand more about specific TX/VX protocols and whatnot. Running out of patience searching for someone to teach me. I'm the only person within 50 miles that I know of that flies mini-quads. I'm having to teach myself everything. Please someone guide me in the right direction!

Here's a quick link to the SPRacing F4EVO.

http://seriouslypro.com/files/SPRacingF4EVO-Manual-latest.pdf

The only new information I've been able to find is that some FCs only accept certain protocols. This one accepts Graupner, which is why I used it as an example. I've been reading the manual, checking the diagrams, searching the internet for definitions, and I'm still struggling with this seemingly overwhelming part of building mini-quads. I wish FT would upload a build video of a quad using a Graupner receiver!

Update:

Would I need to use this receiver (goo.gl/92YV6k) as opposed to this one (goo.gl/LFhJ85)?

Last edited:

Liam B

Definitely use the receiver you linked, the GR12 SUMD. It’s a lot smaller and lighter.

I’m in the same situation. I can tell you that BetaFlight is risky, but RaceFligt and KISS will give you no issues on setup. I’m here to help a fellow Graupner pilot!

WildParsnip

But is the SUMD Receiver required? Would the other one be possible to use? I have a couple of GR-12's laying around from planes. I'm not sure if I can use one of those or if I'll need to buy something more specialized for miniquads.

Liam B

But is the SUMD Receiver required? Would the other one be possible to use? I have a couple of GR-12's laying around from planes. I'm not sure if I can use one of those or if I'll need to buy something more specialized for miniquads.

Gr-12s will work. The SUMD signal is on Channel 6.

WildParsnip

I think I have GR-12L receivers, not the GR-12s. If that would work, how would I even wire it to the receiver? Would I just use a servo connector and just solder the other ends where they go on the FC?

Liam B

I think I have GR-12L receivers, not the GR-12s. If that would work, how would I even wire it to the receiver? Would I just use a servo connector and just solder the other ends where they go on the FC?

GR12ls will work. Yeah, just use a servo connector from the FC to the Receiver.

WildParsnip

Wow that's really simple. I recently had an ESC die on me (RIP Mini Geinea) and decided to chop off the JST, Bullets, and Servo connectors to keep in my toolbox, so I'm already set! Just need to pick up a decent FC. The one I mentioned was just an example for the sake of my question. Do you have any specific recommendations? KISS FC V2 is a little out for my price range at $60-70. I know you get what you pay for, but I'm in the $30ish range.

Liam B

Wow that's really simple. I recently had an ESC die on me (RIP Mini Geinea) and decided to chop off the JST, Bullets, and Servo connectors to keep in my toolbox, so I'm already set! Just need to pick up a decent FC. The one I mentioned was just an example for the sake of my question. Do you have any specific recommendations? KISS FC V2 is a little out for my price range at $60-70. I know you get what you pay for, but I'm in the $30ish range.

I like the RaceFlight Revolt for ease of setup and it’s compatibility. It’s around $38 bucks.

https://www.getfpv.com/raceflight-r...YV3s1vO__KwcC4lNExBH6MPPjJK4mMl0aAlC3EALw_wcB

I connect the control wire of the receiver to the TX1 Pad. There’s a bunch of setup videos online. If you need help, just ask and I’ll be happy to.

I don’t recommend that you buy KISS. It flies a lot better with KISS ESCs. Not sure why exactly.