New and improved E-motors?

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Your fingers are much faster than mine! We are basically saying the same thing.
and don’t get me wrong. all of the small motor I am using now are cheap ones for under $10 from 10 years ago. i was just saying different motors for different uses.
I completely agree. Happy flying!

Geronimo

I actually have two cheap 2216 (or 2836 in can size) kv1120 that I use them in GWS war birds running 9x6 on 3s. I like it a lot, it was a popular park 450 equivalent 10 more years ago for its smaller foot print and high power, but due to its physical limits (narrow but long can limits the shaft at 3mm maximum), this motor would get hot relatively quick and put a lot of pressure on the rear bearings, so, they are suitable to easy flying with up to 10x4.7 prop on 3s, maybe 8x4 prop on 4s for short run. Modern motor tends to be more “square“, like 2212 (2830) or 2812 (3530) for better all around performance.
I normally would check this site first: https://www.flybrushless.com/tools to find a prop test result on a similar motor, unfortunately, no 2216-1120kv is found. And then I would use the tools to estimate what I am looking for with a specific motor. I had built a thrust testing stand and did A lot of testing myself. I tested for peak amp/watt, max thrust and heat on power combos. What I found was, not all components created equal, For speed flying, GWS HD 9” and below are more efficient (less watts) than other brands. APC Speed is close to or better than GWS from 10” and up, and nothing beats APC SF in thrust but it consumes more watts. Also, the same power combo will draw more amp (more heat) on a 65c battery than a 25c one. So you really have to test the exact power combo to see if you exceed the maximum watts. All motors can achieve or even exceed the advertised watt, but the amp/heat would kill the motor in a few second.
However, my 3d and pattern day had passed. Now I am just teaching my son flying and relaxing. No more prop test but I still have 30+ props in different size. My approach now is to look at what other people use, and then find the smallest prop that can give me 1:1 thrust to weight ratio; hold the plane at WOT for 5 seconds (only for 28 series motor and under) and see if I can touch the motor. If too hot, either find another prop or switch to a bigger motor. Hope this help.
Great info, thanks much!

Vishal Dhayalan

Hi, I'm looking for a replacement for my Emax GT2215/09 from pack C. Hopefully something with a bit more power. I live in the UK and am new to the hobby. Where can I buy good motors from in the UK? All the sites I've come across (such as Sunnysky) ship from the US and HobbyKing has a very limited range of motor in stock. Thanks!