RD230 Mini-H Quad build

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
He is running a Flip board Cranial. From memory the Flip Pro has an on board regulator that can handle up to 3s direct input.

DarkShot

Aye FG. No reason for the red wire other than it was one that I had not already used, the colour serves no extra purpose.

As for the firmware, I'm running BLHeli on them, Demag=Off and Timing=Mid-High. Trinco has been using that setting on those 20A Sunrise ESCs with his Sunnyskys and they seem to be working quite well, I just hope I don't run into any issues like the ones you and now EArhog are dealing with.

Cranial, I'm running a 5V step down regulator to power the FC/RX/BT. FC is a Flip 1.5

And just as a heads up, I always update the main post, newest stuff is at the bottom and in more detail.

To 'clean' the power I'm using a simple LC filter, consisting of a ferrite ring wrapped in insulated wire and a 470uf capacitor. While this might not be necessary for the VTX - video connection which is already filtered, there's still the possibility of noise entering the video system from the OSD being directly connected to the flight pack. Adding the LC filter before everything is an extra countermeasure to prevent noise coming in through any power connection and saving future headaches.

The last components for the power supply before they're soldered up. The wrapped ferrite ring, capacitor, and a 5V step down regulator.

IMG_0114_zps8e1bd25a.jpg

Soldered together and heatshrunk. The VTX/OSD power cables that were posted above and 5V step down are connected to the LC filter with a JST plug on the end. Used some liquid electrical tape underneath the capacitor to completely seal the terminals.

IMG_0146_zps31e5ec93.jpg

The extra slack on the FC cable is tucked neatly under the FC, but still allows it to be removed from the standoffs without kinking the wire.

IMG_0127_zpsc7ce92dc.jpg

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Figured it would be something simple like that. That BLHeli setting should work just fine for the SS2204. I think my problem is just that the BS12a is on the limits with the 6" prop setup and I'm just pushing things too hard. EArHog probably has dramas from his arrivals.

If using 5" props you won't have any dramas with your setup. I've been thrashing my same setup on my BO mini H without problems.

MT Alex

Do you have any idea how well (or not) the vibration bobbins work as opposed to the 12 smaller dampeners? I'm guessing it probably doesn't matter because I've seen a bunch of jello free footage taken from Minions, and they don't have a clean section.

DarkShot

Figured it would be something simple like that. That BLHeli setting should work just fine for the SS2204. I think my problem is just that the BS12a is on the limits with the 6" prop setup and I'm just pushing things too hard. EArHog probably has dramas from his arrivals.

If using 5" props you won't have any dramas with your setup. I've been thrashing my same setup on my BO mini H without problems.

Yeah that's what I figured. Might jump up to 5x4 props for a little more oomph, but in the meantime I've got well over a hundred gemfans that I get to burn through first.

Do you have any idea how well (or not) the vibration bobbins work as opposed to the 12 smaller dampeners? I'm guessing it probably doesn't matter because I've seen a bunch of jello free footage taken from Minions, and they don't have a clean section.

I expect them to work about as well as the bobbins. I went with them instead of the bobbins just so I wouldn't have to worry about the bobbins popping out as they're a royal pain to put in.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Yeah that's what I figured. Might jump up to 5x4 props for a little more oomph, but in the meantime I've got well over a hundred gemfans that I get to burn through first.

I expect them to work about as well as the bobbins. I went with them instead of the bobbins just so I wouldn't have to worry about the bobbins popping out as they're a royal pain to put in.

Seriously man, don't waste your money on the 5x4's. Get yourself confident on the Gemfans and switch straight over to the cutdown FC 6x4.5 props. They are almost as cheap as the Gemfans (5x4's are expensive) and are as durable as the gemfans (5x4's shatter on impact). Thanks to Soma HQ prop will be bring out a nylon cutdown 6x4.5 straight from the mold soon which will be even easier. Mind you cutting them down is not hard. If you don't want to make something to cut them down then Soma sells a tool to do it on his Warpquad site.

Thrust data
Gemfan 5030: 430grams and slow top speed
HQ 5x4: 460 grams and a much better top speed
FC cutdown 6x4.5: 600 grams and even faster

No contest really. Hopefully this weekend I can put a video together of the props performance and the SFTT.

DarkShot

Seriously man, don't waste your money on the 5x4's. Get yourself confident on the Gemfans and switch straight over to the cutdown FC 6x4.5 props. They are almost as cheap as the Gemfans (5x4's are expensive) and are as durable as the gemfans (5x4's shatter on impact). Thanks to Soma HQ prop will be bring a nylon cutdown 6x4.5 straight from the mold soon which will be even easier. Mind you cutting them down is not hard. If you don't want to make something to cut them down then Soma sells a tool to do it on his Warpquad site.

Thrust data
Gemfan 5030: 430grams and slow top speed
HQ 5x4: 460 grams and a much better top speed
FC cutdown 6x4.5: 600 grams and even faster

No contest really. Hopefully this weekend I can put a video together of the props performance and the SFTT.

Lordy that's some crazy stuff. Seeing as I'll have the FC props for my Warpquad I might consider it. Not to mention with the way I've got this quad set up, I can get the extended arms, an extra set of dirty plates and have a completely swappable dirty section and run some 2000kv motors on 4S with the 6x3 or 6x4.5 props for some stupid powerful mini FPV action.

I've been doing loads of flying on a porker of a quad already. RCX motors, Gemfan 5030s, and a 540g AUW. I can't wait to get this setup flying as I feel my porker is holding me back. Still fun though.

Last edited:

DarkShot

Hah, thanks.

It's a shame we're 14973 km apart from one another, roughly. Else it'd be pretty neat to have some flying buddies.

Waiting on setting something up with some FPV fliers in some neighboring cities out this way. Right stoked too as I've yet to fly FPV with anyone else, I've always flown FPV by myself.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Yeah I was like that until recently when out of nowhere I found this group which has Scotti (who is the original mastermind of the mini quad racer), Blackout (who you know of), Soma (of Warpquad fame) and a whole lot more talented guys. It's a fun group to be part of that's for sure.

DarkShot

Hot damn I'm jealous. Sounds like some awesome fun with some kickass people, that's for sure.

Well now I know who to ring up if I ever make my way to Oz. I don't know if I'll ever make my way out there, but now I have one more reason to do so :)

Speaking of Soma, I've got his 230mm frame with Moto's MotoWii board on the way. That too is something I can't wait to get flying.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Awesome stuff Darkshot, now go out there and fly the crap out of it and put scratches and dints on it :D

What did the weight end up being ready to fly?

Oh and it would be a good idea to put reflective tape on the Mobius. They can be really hard to find sometimes. Also, tape up the SD card slot otherwise you'll loose it in a crash.

DarkShot

I plan on it :D

I knew I forgot something! AUW with a Mobius and a 1300 3S 45C Nanotech rang in at 525 grams. I was aiming for under 500, didn't meet that goal but that's fine. Still 20 grams lighter than my other little FPV machine and aught to have a load more power with the Sunnyskys vs the RCX motors.

Reflective tape. Never thought of that. I considered painting it hot pink or something, as that has been an issue here and there. SD card hasn't come out as there's always been a piece of tape over it since day 1 thankfully.

MT Alex

Beautifully done!
Did you use extensions on your FRSky receiver?

EDIT: Nope, doesn't look like it. Those look longer than the ones that come on even the D6FR.

RoyBro

Mentor
I've read the term "dirty plate/clean plate" before and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the state of my dinner plate before and after my dog gets it. So to what does it refer in the mini-quad context?

MT Alex

I've read the term "dirty plate/clean plate" before and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the state of my dinner plate before and after my dog gets it. So to what does it refer in the mini-quad context?

The bottom plate, where the motors are mounted, is separated from the top half of the frame by a series of rubber dampeners. It is supposed to remove vibrations from the section that holds your flight controller and cameras.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Roy,

It's an isolation technique. Motors and ESCs and vibrating bits go on the dirty plate. Control board, camera and the massive battery go on the clean plate. Vibration mounts between the two.

The mounts cut a lot of the vibe, while the extra mass from the battery dampens any vibe that gets through. can complicate a simple design, but can work quite well.

RoyBro

Mentor
Thank you guys for the clarification. Dan, I can always count on you for a clear concise explanation. Alex, where are you in Montana. I'm in Billings.

BTW, My dog is disappointed that he can't be more involved in the dirty plate/clean plate thing.