NEW BUILD: FliteTest FPV Split Cube + OSD

LitterBug

Techno Nut
runcamswiftpod3__58018.1508958610.jpg
The FT FPV Split cube caught my eye as an easy way to get both FPV and HD recording on my flying wings. Recently someone posted a question about standalone OSD for a plane. I've thought about doing this with my planes for some time, and thought, that would be an excellent add-on for the FT FPV Cube. Pondered a few ideas including a minimOSD with a GPS, current sensor, and voltage monitoring, but by the time you start adding the current/voltage sensor, BEC, and other required gear, it would be more cost effective and simpler to use an AIO OSD FC with a barometer, compass, PDB, and external GPS. Weather or not the FC has a baro and compass or not is optional if you are running with a GPS since elevation can be skimmed from the GPS. Barometer will be more accurate than GPS for elevation, and generally speaking, it is preferred to use GPS heading over compass if both are available. Over the next couple of posts, I'll go through the assembly, configuration, and testing of my build. I'll be using a RunCam Split and the FREE cube frame that came with the split that I purchased from FT.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Here's a few pictures of the components and initial build I've been meaning to post these up for a while now, but wanted to draft up some schematics first. I'll throw those in the next post....

My OSD, Current Sensor, Voltage monitor, Barometer, acceleromter, aka "THE BRAIN":
Screenshot from 2018-01-03 08-32-09.png

The RunCam Split cube stack wired to a BEC
Screenshot from 2018-01-03 08-31-54.png

Now with the FC/OSD attached with power passthrough
Screenshot from 2018-01-03 08-32-04.png

Nice little stack with the VTX on top
Screenshot from 2018-01-03 08-31-45.png

Specs so far:
RunCam Split
FT Split Stack
3A 5V RMRC BEC
Omnibus F3 with current sensor and barometer