NEW ERA---SEQUENCERS AND CONTROLLING REVERSING MOTOR DIRECTION

L Edge

Master member
New Toys!!!!!

I am hoping to present 3 uses of sequencers which are very interesting and not used often. In return, I am looking for information on the steps(not programming it) on how you use it and the setup and switches and what else is needed. In other words, what is the sequence of steps to accomplish it.

Reviewing Spektrum's Draco setup, no problem if you have their setup and radio. I just want to buy the reversing ESC(assume the programming box is needed) and let me see if I can sequence it. Anybody out there explored it doing their own reversing?

What is sequencing?
It is nothing more than putting correct steps that are timed and loop controlled by a switch or servo.

6 years ago, I had a transport and wanted to start the left engine, wait 5 secs, and then start the right engine(to end flight, stop right engine, wait 5 sec and shut off left engine). Programmed it using the sequencer on the DX9.

Second sequencer allows you to:
1) release brake
2) oscillate brake on nose tire so to control speed as you taxi
3)and to takeoff on runway, release brake entirely.

When you land, switch to position 2, taxi, position 1, and brake goes on.
Go to sequencer one and flip the switch, and shut engine down one by one in reverse.
Wowed them at the club field. Brings me back to the days when I taxied(Plane Captain) my plane. Even used prop reversal to back it up and park in spot.
Here is a short video of the action.

I like projects that don't exist. Looking at motor reversing and clamshells for EDF's(really nothing out there, like thrust vectoring) I decided to program a sequencer that would on landing a transport or single EDF, flip a switch that would open 2 clamshells, and have the EDF spin up to the proper speed) to brake, you then flip the switch, engine goes to idle immediately and clamshells retreat. Not possible.

So, can I reverse the EDF motor so it blasts forward to brake in the sequencer?

Concerns:
high rpms, vibrations of blades running in reverse, what kind of reverse thrust?
So, ran test of running 64 EDF in reverse up to 3/4 speed in tube. It works.

So new project for me, need someone who has explored and set up motor reversing other than Spektrum's way.. This concept would be very interesting to play with pusher/puller planes, especially pusher in a dive or steep approach.

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
In the meantime, I went to my boneyard and revitalized my 2 64 EDF's on the transport and added flaps(exploring) and added the Sequential brake system. Have to adjust the proper positioning of the brake arm so it is tight, oscillating for taxing and brake off as soon as it goes above freezing. Doing further research on reversing. Will show all steps on how to use the sequencer hoping to shorten the landing distance when you reverse the EDF motor.
Will show also how to rotate model gunner from side to side where a servo is used.

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
One way I could see reversing is using a switch controlled by a servo or actuator reversing two wires from motor, when a switch is flipped .

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
One way I could see reversing is using a switch controlled by a servo or actuator reversing two wires from motor, when a switch is flipped .
I have tried that but it is pretty sketchy as sometimes the switches provide more resistance that the 9g servo can handle, and get stuck in the middle.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Best to put the ESC in bi-directional mode. You can use a radio switch to select the upper or lower half of the PWM range to select forward or reverse. I am contemplating setting this up on my snow skimmer for those times when reverse would be handy.

L Edge

Master member
Best to put the ESC in bi-directional mode. You can use a radio switch to select the upper or lower half of the PWM range to select forward or reverse. I am contemplating setting this up on my snow skimmer for those times when reverse would be handy.

Working on that for the transport, ordered parts. Going to use sequencer. After you land, quickly flip switch and it automates reversal of motor, runs up say half throttle for fixed sec (guessing up to maybe 1sec) and shuts down, reverses motor rpm's and you then got control after switching off switch.

L Edge

Master member
Couldn't wait, 30 degrees and 5-10mph wind, took transport out and checked out sequencer doing the brake setup.

I set up the R Knob (switch G) which allows you to adjust the position of the brake in all three modes.
With the brake full on, I got about 1/3 throttle before the front wheel and transport started skidding. Back it off.

When I released the brake and it went to position 2, the brake started jerking forward, so I re-adjusted R Nob until it moves forward smoothly for the taxi. Could change the oscillation speed, to cold outside.

Released (position 3) it and it took off very fast. I took video, but my head shot camera was lined up wrong, so I will have to redo video.

Very happy with concept. Can't wait to set up two others, start/stop of 2 motors with a wait of 5 sec between each and what I call the clamshell effect.