Twin electric motors

HI all I have just been told about reversing one engine rotation on a twin plane but got no details how this is done yes I can swop the ESC leads but what about the prop, do you reverse it or fit a pusher this one is new to me thanks in advance, sunny Spain.

Foamforce

For the prop, yes, you need a reverse prop.

For the motor, most any motor can be run either way, but they make motors with the threads going CW (for standard CCW spinning props) or with the threads doing CCW (for reverse CW spinning props). If you don’t have the reverse threaded motor, you can tighten it harder and/or use thread locker.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
For the prop, yes, you need a reverse prop.

For the motor, most any motor can be run either way, but they make motors with the threads going CW (for standard CCW spinning props) or with the threads doing CCW (for reverse CW spinning props). If you don’t have the reverse threaded motor, you can tighten it harder and/or use thread locker.

quorneng

Master member
Many props are sold with CW and CCW versions.
The same electric motor can drive either if it is reversed BUT most prop drivers are set for conventional CCW props so if you fit a CW prop and reverse the motor the prop nit will no longer be self tightening. You either have to fit a stiff nut or a second locking nut.
LockNut.JPG

A normal CCW prop in a pusher with the motor direction reversed. I lost the prop when it only had one nut!