New Guy from Pittsburgh

Paden501

Hey all,

Thought it wise to introduce myself here. Name is Matt. I just signed up here on the forum (I've been on the facebook group also for a week or two) and I've just gotten into RC aviation in the past couple weeks. I've followed the FliteTest videos for a couple years now kind-of wishing that I could get into the hobby and even bought an FT Flyer and an FT Sparrow a couple years back. Unfortunately I never could get it to fly well and I just sort-of gave up.

Fast forward to this year, I got re-interested after watching the FT Simple Cub video and decided that I'd give it another try. Man am I glad that I did. I maidened it this past weekend and it really flew great. I probably have a total of 3 hours on it now over 2 days (keeping batteries on basically a constant charger rotation all weekend) and I learned a whole lot.

Here's my new problem... I don't know where to fly! I spent the past weekend at my parent's house, which is on some farmland in Venango County, but I live on the north hills of Pittsburgh. If anyone else is in the area, can you tell me where some good flying spots are?

thanks

Matt P

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

That should help you get started. The AMA clubs are a valuable resource and unfortunately, they can be a longer drive than ideal. I'm fortunate to have a field within a few miles of my home. Sticking with simple and light FT designs allows you to fall under the AMA Park Pilot program in most cases. If I recall correctly, the aircraft must be electric (quiet), less than 2 pounds, and not go faster than 60MPH. If you have a park with a baseball diamond or soccer field, that should be a good open space for this tuye of aircraft, which the simple cub falls under. Another long-shot is to look at FTGroups.com. While it has not gained tremendous momentum, it can be a resource to meet up with people in your area within the FT community.

The more you interact with the FT community here the more people you will meet and the more friends you will make.

Paden501

Thanks for all of the info. It does look like there are some AMA clubs closer than I thought (O was only aware of the one in South Park!)

I do have a question about the FTgroups though. It seems to me now that the FT community has at least 3 forms of community outreach (this forum, the Facebook group, FTgroups). My question is which one are people using? I don't see any reason to post up questions and experiences in all 3 areas all the time so I'm wondering which avenue is preferred by the community.

Thanks again!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yeah, it kind of depends on what your audience is for your question. There is also FT STEM! The forum is better for technical or specific questions. The FB page is mroe for just posting your fun times.

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
HEY MATT!

I def wanted to extend our gratitude for joining the WONDERFUL FT FORUM family ;) We are glad to have you my friend! the FT Simple Cub is awesome and I have to say, looks like your killing it! ;)

Like Wilsonman said... this is a GREAT place to find info, ask specific questions and help other individuals with the knowledge that you might have as well. So, do not be shy, post and post often! ;)

Once again welcome and hope to see you around more often Matt!

Blessings,
Stefan

Paden501

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've already learned a lot in just a day. I'm sure that I'll have a lot more questions to come as I get more experience.

thanks again
Matt

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Welcome to Flite Test mate.

With me being a HUGE Steelers fan I would have to approach the coach and ask for some time during camp. Get a nice open area to fly AND get some inside looks at what the boys will be like this year. Not sure how close the airport is to the stadium but I am sure there are some park like areas open enough close you could probably fly the cub safely at.

Paden501

PsyBorg,

Actually the Steelers practice facility is farther east of the airport on the south-side of the down-town area, and they do have some open space (particularly over the river and the practice fields). My luck, I'd manage to crash into Big Ben or something and get run out of town for being the cause of an injury, so I'm going to skip that one. I like the way that you think though!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
No worries there Big Ben is still pretty agile for the middle aged pudge factor. Besides I am pretty sure getting his bell wrung on the field is way worse then any foam plane could do to his noggen.

By all means go explore though as there are many quiet areas not frequented by humanz to fly in. If I had a car I would be constantly on the look out for places and ALWAYS have my gear with me ready to go.

I did for a while use Google maps to look at places within walking distance. Sadly here in my area all the open spaces with trees to dance around also come with 3 to 8 feet of scrub brush or are smack in the middle of swampy fields.

Lax+flite=life

Flying location

Dear Matt P,

I have read your post and am happy to say that I live around the North Hills as well. I have yet to go to this flying park located in North Park (WARNING- I flew in the park itself and not the flying park and got yelled at by the police). My local hobby express (not really local), gave me a form to fill out and they accepted. Like you I am just getting back into flight (after a few failed attempts). I also fly at local schools (the school has a large soccer field and blacktop as well as a track). I hope that I could help you a little. Even though these areas may not be that close to you, your local hobby store will most likely be happy to help you find some decent flying areas. Good luck!

Sincerely, Lax+flite=life

Paden501

Hi Lax,

Thanks for touching base. Since I wrote this post, I did find a few places to fly (and like you, a few not to fly). Overall it seems like it's complicated to know where you can and can't fly in Allegheny county, so I'll tell you what I've learned. Here's what I've learned so far:

1. The RC Flying field at North Park. - Allegheny county has an arrangement with the "North Hills Eagle Squadron" to allow RC flying at the designated flying area off of Walter Road (just across the street from Parrish Hill church). The only stipulation to fly there is that you MUST be an AMA member, as the county strictly requires it for insurance reasons. If you are interested, I can put you in touch with the club president, as I've gotten his contact information recently.

2. The Adams Township Park. - I talked to the Adams Township park administrator the other day and she confirmed that they do allow RC flying at the Adams Township Park (right near Mars High school). There is no designated area, however, they require that you don't fly over people, cars or structures (although she said over the baseball dougouts was probably OK). That's all pretty obvious, but they made it a point to remind me. The only downside there is that it's pretty close to a private airfield close-by, so you'll need to call them to inform them that you'll be in the air.

3. Hartwood Acres - Allegheny county has agreements with a couple clubs ("Steel City Soarers and Allegheny Park Flyers") to fly in the "lower field" near the bandstand at Hartwood Acres. There are a couple important stipulations to flying there though: 1. You have to be a member of one of the clubs (they'll give you some sort of pass that you have to show the Sheriff or he'll run you out of there). 2. AMA is required (again - insurance) 3. There are limits on the type, and weight of the models that you can use (they have to qualify as park flyers - electric and not more than 2lb) 4.Each club is given certain days/times of the week that they're allowed to fly. This is because they use that field for a lot of different things (concerts, events, etc.) and finally if there is an event or if they're setting up for an event, you can't fly. Again, I've talked to the club leaders for these clubs on the phone and I'll pass along their contact info if you need it.

4. I haven't actually talked to anybody about these areas yet, but as I understand it Allegheny County also has designated RC flying areas at the other county parks (Boyce park in Penn Hills and South Park in, well, South Park). I believe that these areas have the same requirements as North Park (AMA membership)

Some areas that I've asked about and was turned away from: Hampton Township Park - I talked to the people at the rec center and they told me that they frown on RC flying at the township park or the school properties. This is a shame because that park has huge open fields.
North Park (other than the designated area). It looks like you found this out the hard way but I was warned by several of the club presidents that the county Sheriff will run you out if they see flying anywhere other than the designated areas. They seem pretty serious about the AMA requirement at all of the county fields also.

I hope this helps. Now that I know all of this, I paid for the AMA membership and I've been flying regularly at the RC field in North Park. If you're an AMA member, shoot me a PM if you want to go out to the North Park field sometime and I'll try to meet up with you.

Regarding local hobby shops: By "Hobby Express" I assume you mean the one in Cranberry Township (on RT 228). I've bought a couple things from them. Some of the guys there have been helpful, others not so much. I also have an RC Truck so I've bought some Traxxas stuff from them before I got into flying.

I've also had good luck with Hobbytown USA. The nearest one of those is in Robinson Township (across the street from IKEA). The only other "local" hobby shop that I know of is "Playthings, Etc" but it's all the way up north of Butler. Let me know if you've been shopping anywhere else, as it's always good to have local options and to support local businesses!

Thanks

Matt

Last edited:

SeanROwens

Hey guys, I'm just starting out flying a quadcopter and I'm looking for places to fly. I'm located in southside, just by downtown Pittsburgh. Paden501, can I message you to get contact info for the clubs you mentioned in your comment?