New guy presentation

Goxothorn

Hello,
I started RC aicraft model when I was a teenagers but because of the lack of time at the end of secondady school and during university I stopped for a few years. In the meantime the technology changed and I had to buy new radio, battery and charger (15-17 yrs ago i was using 35Mhz radio and NiMh batteries). I also bought a foam c160 thinking that it would be easy to fly (I can fly well in simulator and I am learning in reality) but after some crash I looked on advices to just build a basic trainer (in the process I also bought a 3d printer to create broken part for the c160) and found Flite test.

I am here to find advices on how to build a simple trainer from scratch as well as more advance planes in the future.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
Howdy. Any specific questions in mind? Lots of helpful folks here but they need some direction as to what type of advice your looking for.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
watch the video once before you build, watch it again while building, and rewind and pause as needed. best suggestion i can give you. do not rush, take your time.

good luck,

me :cool:

quorneng

Master member
Goxothorn
In general models of scale planes do not fly as well as the full size so for a first plane buy something specifically designed to learn on. There are now many such foam planes, some with electronic gyro 'SAFE' functions that can simply prevent you from doing something that the plane cannot handle and will return to normal level flight if you simply let go of the transmitter sticks.
There is some advantage in buying such a trainer ready made as it will fly, the variable will be your ability to fly it. Build your own to learn on raises the question of whether it has some aerodynamic issue that makes it hard to fly regardless of your abilities.
The FlighTest 'trainer' designs are probably the next best option as they have been specifically designed to be easy to build to give the greatest chance that they will fly well and be robust enough to survive 'learning' crashes.

Timmy

Legendary member
Build the tiny trainer every one seems to recomend it and I have had a great time building and flying it. You can grow with that type of plane.

Hello,
I started RC aicraft model when I was a teenagers but because of the lack of time at the end of secondady school and during university I stopped for a few years. In the meantime the technology changed and I had to buy new radio, battery and charger (15-17 yrs ago i was using 35Mhz radio and NiMh batteries). I also bought a foam c160 thinking that it would be easy to fly (I can fly well in simulator and I am learning in reality) but after some crash I looked on advices to just build a basic trainer (in the process I also bought a 3d printer to create broken part for the c160) and found Flite test.

I am here to find advices on how to build a simple trainer from scratch as well as more advance planes in the future.
Hello friend. Looks like you came to the right place. :)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums.
+1 on the tiny trainer, it’s a great plane.
The ft cub, explorer & storch are also worthy of consideration.

Goxothorn

Hello,
thank you for your answers and advices. I am looking mainly for advices to build a simple trainer. Indeed, for me designing and building the plane is as much fun (or even more fun) than flying it.

I read some article on the forum and look video/tutorial on how to build a RC plane. But I am still strugling with some questions. (as the computation of cubic volume).

I start to create a blueprint for a pusher plane which I plan to use with a lipo 3s and 1800 or 1400kv motor (around 200w of power from the performance sheet). From what I read it should fly but not I am not really sure.

For the construction I plan to create a wing made of foam and of 3d printed wing ribs (around 6-8g and I will use around 10 of them, on the picture a almost final prototype) as well as balsa beams. Engine mount would also be 3d printed as well as a part to give the wing an angle of incidence around 1-2°.

What do you think of it?

==> Blueprint and calculation : https://www.ecalc.ch/cgcalc.php?dee...;15;15;10;0;0;0;0;5;0;0;0;6;9;0;0;0;60;25;10;
==> Drawing: see attached picture. Scale is 1/10, all mesure in cm, 1 square=0.5cm/5mm. 1597499112905.jpg

Timmy

Legendary member
Hello,
thank you for your answers and advices. I am looking mainly for advices to build a simple trainer. Indeed, for me designing and building the plane is as much fun (or even more fun) than flying it.

I read some article on the forum and look video/tutorial on how to build a RC plane. But I am still strugling with some questions. (as the computation of cubic volume).

I start to create a blueprint for a pusher plane which I plan to use with a lipo 3s and 1800 or 1400kv motor (around 200w of power from the performance sheet). From what I read it should fly but not I am not really sure.

For the construction I plan to create a wing made of foam and of 3d printed wing ribs (around 6-8g and I will use around 10 of them, on the picture a almost final prototype) as well as balsa beams. Engine mount would also be 3d printed as well as a part to give the wing an angle of incidence around 1-2°.

What do you think of it?

==> Blueprint and calculation : https://www.ecalc.ch/cgcalc.php?deeplink=plane 01;cm;20;20;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;45;0;0;0;0;0.8;15;15;10;0;0;0;0;5;0;0;0;6;9;0;0;0;60;25;10;
==> Drawing: see attached picture. Scale is 1/10, all mesure in cm, 1 square=0.5cm/5mm. View attachment 177154
I recomend first building a plane you know will fly (like the tiny trainer) and learn all you can from it and gain experience. Also your wings look short.