New guy

Howdy y'all,

I flew R/C back in the 80's. I built a SIG Kadet Mk II and, with the help of a few fellow fliers, learned to fly it out of the high school parking lot. Now, 35 years later, Flite Test has inspired me to get back into the hobby. I've built three or four models so far and am aiming for the entire fleet but I've also looked into rebuilding my old Kadet (it has quite a bit of hanger rash) and scratch building some other balsa models from archived plans. All this and I haven't even successfully flown anything yet, some nice crashes though (apparently, flying R/C is NOT like riding a bike). Looking forward to meeting other Flite Test enthusiasts and some fun flying.

-- Roger

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Welcome to the forum :) Maybe consider getting a simulator to work out the kinks and get the muscle memory back.

basslord1124

Master member
Hey welcome back to the hobby! :)

Simulator is definitely a wise investment...whether now or later. Not just for teaching, but it gives you something to do when the weather sucks for flying. If you can get someone to help you in flying that'd be awesome too.

If you want to get out and start flying (I'm not even sure what gear you have already?), I'd recommend the FT Simple Cub model and/or the FT Tiny Trainer. Both can start you out on 3 channel and then graduate to 4 channel when you are ready.

Another thing too...you should see eventually about "electrifying" your old SIG Kadet. I'm running 6S power on an old Hangar 9 trainer and flies very well.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hello UncleRojelio.
I'm glad you've decided to return to this fun hobby.

Do you have family or friends also in the hobby?

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
All my foam board planes are falling apart after a year of flying, but they are good for one thing, learning to fly! Build em cheap, fly them to death, then spend your build time on the real deal, balsa planes. Welcome to the forum!

Hey welcome back to the hobby! :)

Thanks!

Simulator is definitely a wise investment...whether now or later. Not just for teaching, but it gives you something to do when the weather sucks for flying. If you can get someone to help you in flying that'd be awesome too.

I'll have to look into them. I've played around with the demo at the local hobby shop and it does seem kinda fun. I do plan on joining the local club soon as well.

If you want to get out and start flying (I'm not even sure what gear you have already?), I'd recommend the FT Simple Cub model and/or the FT Tiny Trainer. Both can start you out on 3 channel and then graduate to 4 channel when you are ready.

I started out the with the FT Simple Cub but I built it with ailerons and I do think that was a mistake. One lack of orientation event and it's a quick trip to the ground. I then got the Tiny Trainer and built the polyhedral wing without ailerons and have had better luck. Now I just got to learn to avoid the trees. I've since also build a non-aileron wing for the Cub and will try it again when the weather improves around here.

Another thing too...you should see eventually about "electrifying" your old SIG Kadet. I'm running 6S power on an old Hangar 9 trainer and flies very well.

I'm a little torn about this. On the one hand I am enjoying the ease and cleanliness of electric flying, on the other I kinda want to rekindle the gasser experience with my old Kadet. Either way, I'm looking forward to building and flying both electric and nitro balsa models in the future.

Hello UncleRojelio.
I'm glad you've decided to return to this fun hobby.

Do you have family or friends also in the hobby?

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

Thanks Jim. I don't have any family or friends in the hobby as yet. I do plan on making new friends at the local club in the Spring.

Woot! Three batteries burned today without any unexpected landings! Almost ready to switch to the aileron wing on my Simple Cub.

Last edited: