New kit build

Pilot-294

I'm at the point now where I'm waiting for funds to open up so I can get servos and an engine. Once I have those I'll start the fuse. Until then I'm gonna finish the wing and parts of the fuse.

earthsciteach

I have an old OS .40 LA (I think) but she's still a good engine. Or I may get a new slightly larger engine for a little extra power. Not sure what'd be best for scale power and or overall performance. Guess it doesn't matter really I gotto re-buy all my ground gear since I left it with you and the tiger. Maybe I'll buy a gas engine. Tax return comes soon lol

Dude - you can have all of that stuff back!

Pilot-294

Nah I left it with ya and I want you to use it. I actually had some funds I didn't see and I'm mounting my motor for break in right now.

Pilot-294

Took me most of the day but I got my new motor to run once. (Glow starter takes a lot longer to charge than I thought.) but it runs and is eating thru fuel. Once it's done breaking in I need to get her tuned and then she'll be ready to put on the mustang when I get to that point. Then I need to find a .46 motor Pitts style muffler. The one in this motor is nowhere near small enough

Pilot-294

Can't get the freaking motor to run again it's becoming extremely frustrating. It's also eating fuel like crazy without even starting. I'm really regretting buying this engine. Should've spent a little more and got something decent.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If it's sucking fuel that quick, maybe it's too rich? I know you want rich for break in, but if it "diesels" when it is running, it's a little too rich. If it won't run at all it might be way rich. Also, has anyone messed with the idle needle?

Pilot-294

No it ran once the way it is. But once it's running I'll adjust that down until the fuel use is decent not crazy. I just want it to run so I can break it in.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It might be the idle mixture needles. I know on some of mine those were trouble until I finally found a setting that worked. No so finicky once broken in but getting there can be a bear. I think this is close to the info I had when I ran into trouble. Maybe it will help, or maybe you already know all of this stuff...http://www.flyrc.com/index.php/glow-engine-tuning-setup/

Pilot-294

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for a good tutorial. I "knew" it but it's nice to have a well written page to look at

Pilot-294

Getting ready to begin my fuselage today. I went down and measured my engine mounting on my test bed. I seem to have mounted my engine almost perfectly by accident and won't need to change my engine mount. I'm flabbergasted.

Pilot-294

Also found a way around buying a Pitts muffler for my bird. If I mount the aviastar inverted I'll be able to leave the normal muffler on as is. So I'll be able to save a few pennies and still fly my mustang

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Make sure you get the stumble off idle taken care of. That one has bitten me before in the air. Should be one of the idle needles. Sorry, it's been a long time since I flew wet...

Pilot-294

It'll be good when I'm ready to fly. But it's WAY too cold to tune the motor. It won't start at all today

Pilot-294

She bit me! Lol. Also have a fuse bottom.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Is that what I've been doing wrong? That would explain why the hex flies so well...