New to hobby. Repurposing cheap transmitter?

Greyhound247

hello all! New to the hobby but have been watching Flite Test videos for a while and itching to start.

I have a cheap transmitter I got with a small helicopter from Brookstone. The little battery for the heli no longer holds a charge. It appears to be a 2.4 ghz, 4 channel transmitter, so I'm wondering if I can pull the receiver from the helicopter and re-purpose to build a DIY plane (photos below). It does look like 2 of the servos are actually built into the receiver chip...

if not, the markings on the tiny batter aren't legible anymore. Any way to replace the battery?

20201004_160340.jpg
20201004_160450.jpg
20201004_160659.jpg

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
the issue for you will be programming. in theory you could do it, but that chip is made for a helicopter not an airplane. to fly an airplane on only 2 servos you need to be able to do a Elevon setup. that is a mix of elevator and ailerons. you would need to be able to reprogram that chip to be able to do that and without some sort of code it wont be possible.

maybe if you could find 2 servo arms that fit those and had both arms you might get lucky. you might be able to do a push-pull on elevator (pitch control), and same for the ailerons. this in theory is only 2 servos but you would need to keep everything very light.

good luck,

me :cool:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
that looks like a 1S lipo battery (the only challenge would be figuring out the correct size).

as far as your receiver goes, it looks like an all in one receiver, ESC and 2 servos. It looks like it has a brushed motor, so your probably stuck with that motor. I can't tell how the tail runs from your pictures, so it isn't clear if that is yet another motor (rather likely brushed) or something else.

Also not clear if this is a flybar setup or if it uses and IMU sensor and micro controller to handle stabilization (again don't have good pictures of the helicopter parts themselves).

You would likely have a rather hard time dealing with the programming/mixing/etc. you might be able to get a really light weight bank and yank setup working with what is there, but it seems unlikely

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I like the spirit,
but what you are proposing is actually a pretty difficult project even for an experienced builder. Id hate to see your first steps into the hobby lead to discouragement.

If to want to fly id suggest going for one of the many $70 to $100 planes that come with their own cheap controllers (transmitters) from there you can start building your flying (and repairing) skills. With that setup you could much more easily figure out how to build it into a new plane when that one is worn out.

If you want to start off with a build i would go with flitetest 's ez pack kit.

Greyhound247

Appreciete it. I have my private pilots license so I'm familiar with flying, just not rc parts. Would I potentially be able to get a new receiver to pair with this transmitter? Or is it just easier to get a transmitter/receiver set?

Here's a better photo of the helicopter itself. Tiny motor on the back and i think flybar on top (again, not very experienced with helos). I get what you're saying with the elevon setup. Not really looking for that, as I'm familiar with typical pitch, roll, yaw controls with actual planes (i fly cessna 172 typically) . I was just hoping I might save some money on a transmitter and get away with just buying servos, motor, battery, Foam board and ESC.

20201004_160354.jpg

Hondo76251

Legendary member
@Greyhound247 Never got around to getting the license but I soloed in a real plane long before i ever flew RC myself.

Id say there is very little to be gained by using that transmitter. Youll be much happier getting a dedicated transmitter that can fly this proposed build as well as anything you get in the future.

Im a buy once, cry once kind of guy. Ive always had Spektrum gear so im not much help in steering you towards a good transmitter. I do have a cheaper spektrum DXe and i wouldn't recommend it even though it serves my purpose of wirelessly buddy boxing with my kids just fine. There are far better transmitters for the money if thats the main concern.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I was just hoping I might save some money on a transmitter and get away with just buying servos, motor, battery, Foam board and ESC./QUOTE]

that receiver has the servo controls and ESCs for its motors built in, you won't be using external servos/ESCs with it. (well, if you have the technical know how to do that, you could build your own receiver, ESC, servos/etc.)

leaded50

Legendary member
Brookstone Stunt Copter RC Helicopter
Model No. 796083
Product Features: Indoor/outdoor copter flies up to 200 yards-the length of two football fields! Switch between Pilot mode for easy flight or Stunt mode for advanced banking and sweeping 2 speed settings for controlled flights or tricks and aerobatics 2.4GHz digital spread-spectrum technology eliminates radio interference True Blade Pitch-just like with a real copter, two servos control the pitch of the blades to change directions Swappable battery lets you switch batteries so you don’t have to wait for recharging Monitor speed, trim, battery usage and other features on the controller’s LCD screen Includes controller, rechargeable Li-Po battery and USB charger Measures 9.5″ long, 3.5″ high and weighs 1 ounce . Toggle between beginner and expert flight controls. Our Stunt Copter lets you swap between 3- and 4-channel controls so you get an optimal flying experience. Choose Pilot mode for a stable flight and to learn the basic flight functions. The built-in Gyroscope Stabilizer and digital trim control ensures an easy flight for beginners. Fly forward, turn left and right, and go up and down. Once you’ve mastered those moves, switch to Stunt mode to take your piloting to the next level! Try your hand at some advanced flying techniques. Bring stability and the thrill of aerobatic performances together. Switch to Stunt mode and increase your copter’s speed to execute daredevil maneuvers. Bank left and right, sweep, hover, and experience true reverse with four directional channels. The possibilities are endless! Fly the length of two football fields without interference. 2.4GHz digital spread-spectrum technology eliminates interference from other radio devices, and allows up to 8 people to fly side by side in the same wireless range.
Specs: Wireless Remote 2.4GHz Digital Spread Spectrum Skill Level: Beginner – Expert Flying Channels: 3 to 4 Conversion Battery: Rechargeable, Swappable Gyroscope Stabilizer Motions: Up, down, forward, backward, left, right, hover, banking, sweeping, true reverse Flight Range: 200 yards Trim Stabilization: Digital Left, Right, Forward, Backward Warning: This product may contain small parts which may pose a choking hazard to children. Ages 12 and up.

Could it be this one??
It is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brookstone...ntrol-Helicopter-Factory-Sealed-/123895110468

pic_az

If it were mine, I would, for fun, keep the trim and gimbals and use the case to add an Arduino Pro Micro with a NRF24L01 2.4ghz. You could create tour own circuit board and program the Pro Micro for about $30. You could also drill into the case and add some toggle switches. There are examples for receivers that I have used for 8 channels that I have built for about $30 each. I so far have gotten ranges on the ground of about a quarter mile. Where I was testing, I couldn't go any further but I do think it would have gone further. If you decide to trash it, let me know. I have been looking for old blank cases.