New to Me RadioMaster TX16S Carbon Fiber

luvmy40

Elite member
I got the RadioMaster TX16S for my birthday. I thought it wouldn't be that hard to figure out the set up and programing. Boy, was I wrong!

Looks like a weekend of YouTubing tutorials is in the cards.

TX16S.jpg

danskis

Master member
@luvmy40 First congrats and happy birthday. I've got Open TX on my Tarranis with a multi module. If you haven't done a lot of programming it should only take you 6 months to a year to get really comfortable with it. There is a printed manual for open tx and I don't know about edge. There is also open tx university. Do a search.

First hint - all flight modes do is remember trim settings. Like any other radio it will remember the models trim when you turn it off BUT if you have different trim assigned to a switch - say a launch trim and cruise trim - you can assign those to a switch to do that.

Inputs - assign weight (rate) and expo in the inputs page. Only use the mixier for mixing (mostly),.

Outputs page - reverses the servo.

If you're on Open TX download Open TX companion and play around with that.

Before you program a plane you're planning it might be worth building a bench test mule to mess around with the programming. I didn't but probably should have.

Is it worth it - maybe not if you mainly fly 4 channel airplanes and you'd rather build and fly rather than program a radio.

I do like having the choice of receivers - my favorite receiver happens to be the Flysky 6 channel which you can buy for around $18.

This is all worth what you paid for it!!

DurangoRC

Bought an TX16S (running Edge TX) about a week ago and yes, there is a learning curve. It's a big step up from my DX6i! Think of it as a computer with an RC transmitter built onto it. I like to set everything up using the Edge TX software on my laptop. Youtube has been a great source for tutorials on most-used functions (inputs, mixing & outputs).
Something I didn't even realize it offered was a way to set a battery timer using the throttle. Not just running the timer from when you first activate the throttle but slowing down the count proportional to throttle usage. So, 5 a minute timer expires after 5 minutes of constant full throttle. But flying at half throttle the timer expires after 10 minutes.

luvmy40

Elite member
So, if my OP wasn't clear, I bought this radio used from an eBay RC store. It looks to me like it all works as it should, but when trying to follow some of the YouTube tutorials, I realized it has already been upgraded to the EdgeTX firmware. Anyone have any insights on how this is going effect my learning curve? The OpenTX Companion does not seem to work with the Edge system

joelspangler

Edgetx has its own companion software. There are some stylistic differences between opentx and edgetx (things will look a little different on the screen), but tutorials for opentx should teach you the basics that you need. Start with an easy 3 or 4 channel plane. Remember that you don't NEED to do everything at once - simply figure out how to bind and get the control surfaces moving on the plane (in the right directions with reversing). From there Figure out how to add rates to a switch, then make a kill switch for throttle, add a picture icon for your model, add modes (if you have a stabilizer), then add voice prompts to tell you what the switch you just flipped should be doing. I have my radio announce things like Armed (engine on), Engine off, high rates, medium rates, low rates, flaps on, flaps off, stabilized mode, and acro mode... having the voice tell me what switch I just flipped while I'm trying to watch my plane in the air was a real benefit to me when I first set it up.

Start slow - you definitely don't NEED to figure it out all at once. Just solve one problem at a time, and after a bit you'll have a very customized transmitter that does exactly what you want it to. If you run into a specific roadblock, google it or ask here and we'll do our best to help.

Then when you want to add a second plane - just copy your first model (where you set everything up), rename it, change the picture and bind it with a different receiver number or different protocol.

And back things up in the EdgeTX companion often so you can go back a few steps if you mess something up.

DurangoRC

I also got this radio from the original buyer. He felt he didn't have the time to learn a whole new process of radio programming. Took me about 3-4 hours watching YouTube videos and tinkering to get the basics.
When setting up for my planes I used the Companion software. So once I have plugged everything into the computer I sent those settings to my radio. But there have been a couple of times I've made a change at the field and then have to remember to read from the radio to Companion.
Most important is to save (back-up) your set-up file in Companion.

luvmy40

Elite member
I'm starting to get the hang off this.

I have my first model set up, the DR1 and my global settings are pretty much done.

This is so much more capable than the FlySky FSi6X! Just being able to use the logical switches for stuff like the throttle chop is so eye opening! None of it is intuitive or self explanatory, but the functionality is off the charts!

Last edited:

tamuct01

For more understanding of how Open/EdgeTX works, I recommend OpenTX University: http://open-txu.org/
There's lots of information on basic setup, but also expanded knowledge about how to use logical switches, special functions, flight modes, etc. It walks you through the process flow of taking an input, processing it through the mixer stage, and output to a radio channel. Most all the information is portable to EdgeTX, as that is a recent fork of OpenTX.