New to the hobby, My first build / flight.

Nell

Let me first say that I know it is not very bright to build a four channel plane to learn on. I just decided to build the baby blender because of ascetics while I waited on my radio to arrive. I planned on letting my cousin fly it and show me a few things, and to build a starter plane for myself.

I started off by taking the plans and cutting them into individual pieces in Photoshop. I then took and ripped poster board to 8.5 x 26 which is all my printer can handle. This allowed me to print most pieces on one sheet and the wings and fuselage on two. I thought this would increase my precision a bit. I ordered some control horns and push rods from flitetest just to support them as much as I could and found that if I cut the mailing tube they were sent in and put foam inserts into them they made great smooth and uniform wheels.

So the day comes my cousin is going to fly it for me. He takes off and its going great. So great that I simply can not resist giving it a shot. Obviously I immediately crashed not far off the ground and landed on my back damaging the wings. I do have the BBQ skewers to support the center wing sections they are just sharpied red to match so they may be hard to see. The last photo is my attempt to fix the situation while trying to maintain a semi presentable look.

10268702_10152454014194813_8592684694375009320_n.jpg 984073_10152454013929813_7197744157834952546_n.jpg

1920162_10152454014109813_4560095759377082476_n.jpg 20140515_222715.jpg

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Have to disagree on that, one might as well learn how to fly proper right away!

Meh, like my quote says, "crash and learn". I wouldn't have painted it. But there's nothing like flying real world. It's a cheap airframe, even Josh Bixler said it could be a first.

Nell

Meh, like my quote says, "crash and learn". I wouldn't have painted it. But there's nothing like flying real world. It's a cheap airframe, even Josh Bixler said it could be a first.

Yeah and I'm definetly one of those people who will enjoy building as much as flying, which is why I wasnt worried about crashing with my pretty paintjob haha. I own a vinly cutter so I really plan on stepping up my game on plane 2.

Last edited:
Maan I love how this thing turned out.

I am doing somewhat well with building though I'm still in the learning stages, but I'm very far from designing a good color scheme. I hate my planes being "blank" so I use some spray to make some lines or shapes on them. But, would you be able to share some tips regarding how you painted it? Like:

- What did you use? Spray can, Airbrush, other?
- How did you make the checkers?
- What method did you use to make sure all lines are straight and clean, and there's no stray paint squirts on the white/black stuff for example?

I'd appreciate the help here! Again, looks awesome!

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
I own a vinly cutter so I really plan on stepping up my game on plane 2.

Well shoot, now I'm totally jealous. So I have to ask, what cutter do you have and is it affordable? The other thing I have been looking in to is waterslide decal paper. You should check that out too.

Last edited:

lazermule

Have to disagree on that, one might as well learn how to fly proper right away!

I'd agree with FC here, when I added the ailerons to my FT Flyer and got it in the air, I pretty much felt like a fish out of water. I had flew it without issue with rudder and elevator and fought the urge to put the aileron control on the left stick with the throttle, sure that flight would have went better but I wouldn't have forced myself to learn the correct way. I didn't crash, but it wasn't my best of flights. Both ailerons were pitched up ever so slightly so I had to ride down elevator to keep it from stalling. I brought it in, made some adjustments and it flew much better. I'm still not as stable as I was with just rudder and elevator, but I'm progressing quickly and that's the name of the game. Good Luck!

LM