New Year build decided by a motor.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I had 3 planes in mind for my first New Tear build: Sea Otter, Scout (sport version and std) and Hanger's Simple Stick in that order.
However, I was browsing on Banggood early hours today and discovered they had the Emax GT2215/09 1180kv motor (the original Flite Test C pack motor, pre radial motors) at a discounted price. I had accumulated a fair few points so added them in too for good measure, the result was that I bought one for £15.83 (that's equivalent to $21.18) including postage and shipping insurance.

So as fate would have it, my next build has been chosen by the motor its going in (The Simple Stick). As opposed to me choosing a model and then buying a suitable model.
However, as we appear once more to be in the clutches of the tail end of a storm yet again. The sea Otter wold have been the more logical choice, as I have seen more rain fall in the last 3 hours than Ive seen in months (and trust me we have had a lot of rain during November and December).
In fact I already have an Emax CF2812 1400kv which would probably suit the Otter, so the prevailing weather may yet swing my mind to another option.

flyingkelpie

Elite member
I had 3 planes in mind for my first New Tear build: Sea Otter, Scout (sport version and std) and Hanger's Simple Stick in that order.
However, I was browsing on Banggood early hours today and discovered they had the Emax GT2215/09 1180kv motor (the original Flite Test C pack motor, pre radial motors) at a discounted price. I had accumulated a fair few points so added them in too for good measure, the result was that I bought one for £15.83 (that's equivalent to $21.18) including postage and shipping insurance.

So as fate would have it, my next build has been chosen by the motor its going in (The Simple Stick). As opposed to me choosing a model and then buying a suitable model.
However, as we appear once more to be in the clutches of the tail end of a storm yet again. The sea Otter wold have been the more logical choice, as I have seen more rain fall in the last 3 hours than Ive seen in months (and trust me we have had a lot of rain during November and December).
In fact I already have an Emax CF2812 1400kv which would probably suit the Otter, so the prevailing weather may yet swing my mind to another option.
I have a Emax CF 2822. What would that suit? Just recently the plane it was in crashed into a tomato bush and became the tomato sauce plane. Its just that there was a wooden fence right behind so now my plane is dead. I know someones gonna say "oh its a foamie you can fix it!" Nooo it has been repaired so many times that its a pain to the eyes. Oh well. what would it suit? Could I put it in the simple stick? Thats my next build but it seems to be rather small for a simple stick.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have a Emax CF 2822. What would that suit? Just recently the plane it was in crashed into a tomato bush and became the tomato sauce plane. Its just that there was a wooden fence right behind so now my plane is dead. I know someones gonna say "oh its a foamie you can fix it!" Nooo it has been repaired so many times that its a pain to the eyes. Oh well. what would it suit? Could I put it in the simple stick? Thats my next build but it seems to be rather small for a simple stick.
I would say for the Simple Stick it would fly with the Emax CF2822, but would have the B pack performance so would be a slow flyer (which isn't a bad thing). Where as the Emax GT2215 is a C pack motor, so more power hence more speed.
The CF2822 can be used in several planes, a good option is the Simple Cub !

flyingkelpie

Elite member
I would say for the Simple Stick it would fly with the Emax CF2822, but would have the B pack performance so would be a slow flyer (which isn't a bad thing). Where as the Emax GT2215 is a C pack motor, so more power hence more speed.
The CF2822 can be used in several planes, a good option is the Simple Cub !
Kind of wanting a plane which is slightly more capable. Maybe mid wing+ailerons. Slightly more aerobatic.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Kind of wanting a plane which is slightly more capable. Maybe mid wing+ailerons. Slightly more aerobatic.
Not sure but I think the Scout will fly off a power pack 2 motor, anyway the Simple cub can be built as a 4ch version that's what mine is ? It will probably still be more of a cruiser than a sporty plane but it should work.
I tried the Emax MT2213 935kv initially in my Cub, as it was considered more reliable than the CF2822. But I found it under powered and it was constantly at 3/4 to full power so swapped it for a Sunnysky X2216x 1200kv.
The MT2213 worked great in my Old Fogey but worked better with a 3s, not enough oomph with a 2s battery.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Yep the Scout takes a B pack motor (although FT recommend the radial motors these days), so you can use it in one of those. Its a mid wing with ailerons and sure its capable of basic aerobatics.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i don't know about a "new years build", but i could use some help with what to do with this?

20201226_180427.jpg

not sure what's up with people just giving me stuff but a member handed this to me this morning. it came out of an old, big scale plane that an older member had flown. he said i was the only one he could think of that would do anything with it. good for 9lbs AUW. :oops:

ideas?

me :LOL:

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
i don't know about a "new years build", but i could use some help with what to do with this?

View attachment 187173

not sure what's up with people just giving me stuff but a member handed this to me this morning. it came out of an old, big scale plane that an older member had flown. he said i was the only one he could think of that would do anything with it. good for 9lbs AUW. :oops:

ideas? :LOL:

me :cool:
hotliner

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member

View attachment 187173

ideas?

me :LOL:
I will send you my address along with a box packing and pre paid postage :);)(y)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
C4260-500kv Brushless Outrunner

Specs:
RPM/v: 500kv
Max Watts: 1000w
Max Votage: 6S
Resistance (MΩ): 23
Idle Current: 4.3A
Required ESC: 50A
Weight: 278g
Shaft: 5mm

That would power a nice balsa model (y)

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
C4260-500kv Brushless Outrunner

Specs:
RPM/v: 500kv
Max Watts: 1000w
Max Votage: 6S
Resistance (MΩ): 23
Idle Current: 4.3A
Required ESC: 50A
Weight: 278g
Shaft: 5mm

That would power a nice balsa model (y)
Get 3 more and make a c130

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I am planning to build two Scouts next year, the first will be the std build with the same CM motor, its going to be a trainer for my son. So he can practice his take off's and landings with it. The other is going to be a touch sportier with a KF step wing and a beefy motor so I can do some pylon style flying with it, but that's still in the design stages.