Newbie tries to maiden in the wind, overwhelmed tries to get it down ASAP

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
SNAP! I did a maiden of a TT I built for my son this morning in 50+KLM/Hr westerly winds. Actually did 2 flights and landed perfectly at the end of each flight. It was not an easy task but something that needed to be done today!

Good to see I am not the only one who flies even when the birds are walking:)(y)

Have fun!

Havak37

Brand new to RC planes
Thanks for the reply. I should have worn a heart rate monitor so the viewer could tell I was butt pucker to level ten. When I took off into the wind and it first jerked the plane to the side I realized I was in over my head. It's hard to tell but I am wrestling it almost the whole time. I look forward to a nice calm day so I can finally run a battery out.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
LOL that's some puckering right there!

Good job! That's honestly one of the things I love about the Sea Duck; you can fly it in fairly strong winds, as it's got the power to overcome most of it with the twin engines.

That said, with how gusty that was, I might've said, "Ehhh...I'm gonna hold off flying today..." and there would have been NO shame in admitting that. I've had planes I've been pushing at near full throttle into a headwind, and all the plane wants to do is hover at 10 ft off the ground, straight over the runway. LOL

quorneng

Master member
Its not really the wind that causes the problems (unless it is above the planes flying speed:eek:) but the turbulence low down resulting from those bushes!
If you had kept much higher things would have been easier and you would have had time to set up a fairly steep approach and landing in the biggest area well clear of the bushes.
My foamy super lightweights have this problem in even gentle winds! ;)

Pigfarm1403

Builder
Good luck with this! I just tried to maiden my c-130 style airplane but I only had 2 of the 4 motors installed and it didn't have enough power and destroyed the nose.

Pigfarm1403

Builder
Make sure to fly it under the right conditions. People sometimes don't make an effort to do so when they finish a plane but its important. Really hope this works out for you, looks like a great plane!

RCScottsdale

Thanks for the reply. I should have worn a heart rate monitor so the viewer could tell I was butt pucker to level ten. When I took off into the wind and it first jerked the plane to the side I realized I was in over my head. It's hard to tell but I am wrestling it almost the whole time. I look forward to a nice calm day so I can finally run a battery out.

That was ridiculous! Great job staying with it! I recently had a crazy wind experience, and I lost the battle. I think my plane was in four pieces when I walked away.