Nitro flying wing question

Toddzilla2

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums but not the hobby.I am currently building a 48" kfm3 type airfoil. I am unsure how wide to make the ailerons. 10percent of the root chord is 2". Does anyone have any input? Or can someone tell me how wide they are on a versa wing?I am using a modified OS.40 with an 11/7 prop.I am also using a separate elevator which goes in rectangular cutout at rear. Thanks in advance image.jpg

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
You can measure from the pdf file using acrobat reader. I just looked at the versa (don't trust my work, do it yourself) and it measures as 3" to 1" out at the wing tip with a lenght of 15"

Toddzilla2

Thanks I didn't think of that lol. I will mock up some balsa. I originally started at 3" at the elevator just guessed at the taper based on other designs. It seemed huge but I guess not. I will post some pics as I continue building.

Toddzilla2

Hi All,
I have made some progress. I am discovering new ways to build with only one arm. So please bear with me as progress is a little slow.This pic is where I'm at now. CG is working out nice. Good Day! image.jpg

Last edited:

Toddzilla2

Got a little more done. I'm at 3.5 lbs without fuel tank and radio. The plane has 900 sq.in. of wing also.If anyone cares lol. image.jpg

Toddzilla2

Thanks ! My friend started it but got brain cancer and died 3 weeks ago. He made me promise I would finish it for him. We love nitro, He wanted to do FPV with it at first but that began to look like it was going to be illegal. So he decided to switch to nitro. I followed his plans until this point. Now I'm just winging it lol. It's pretty heavy but the motor with an 11/7 prop on 20 percent nitro almost lifted a 9 lb bar stool. So I'm hoping it will fly.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
How will you launch it one handed? I'm guessing you are going to need landing gear and some kind of a runway with that much weight.

Condolences on the loss of your friend. I met a guy years ago when I got started in ham radio. He was selling all his equipment and I was in the market for a radio. Like all ham operators we ended up talking more than deciding on price. Turns out he just lost a good friend. The were radio buddies since childhood. It was depressing to learn that he was giving up because he lost his buddy. I'm glad to hear you are not. Pretty cool that you are finishing his project for him.

Toddzilla2

Thanks for your condolences! Dennis was also the other grandpa to my two grandsons. I will certainly miss him. He was Diagnosed in October. Damn he went so fast. There just wasn't enough time for me to get all his ideas out on paper. I have reached the end of his plan now. I'm going to have to figure it out on my own.I have a composite landing gear about15" wide. Thought about cutting it in half and spreading it out to be more stable. I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Guess I need a steerable nose wheel and another servo, more weight lol. Any landing gear ideas ? I'm all ears . I currently recovering from a serious shoulder injury so hand launching is not an option for a while. I saw some electric retracts but no idea if they would work being I have no experience with them. At worst I will make a new plane.I think I could save a lot of weight if I did it again.