nnA-10 - design, build, and review log

Ben Presten

Lookin good! How are you gonna do the nacelles? Are the gonna have flat sides or be curved like the real one? How are you gonna mont the EDFs inside them?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Lookin good! How are you gonna do the nacelles? Are the gonna have flat sides or be curved like the real one? How are you gonna mont the EDFs inside them?

They will be round, I'm trying to be as scale as possible. I only have ideas so far about how I'm going to do all this. I won't know until I get a little further into the design :)

It's going to be a challenge, that's for sure.

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
For the nacelles, you can remove the paper from the inside, then roll it into the correct shape. Like on the nose of the FT-22.

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
For the nacelles, you could have the posterboard be perpendicular to the thrust line and build it in like ribs/formers. And then wrap it all in the end. That's the approach I went with mine. Mine is pretty simple as it's not suppose to be an EDF or strictly scale, but I feel like it's a good approach to your problem. You can still have it taper on the tip and end with formers at the steps...

20140828_213316.jpg

20140828_213350.jpg

20140817_112116.jpg

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Nic check out mikeysrc.com he has a A10 with 64mm edfs. You might beable to work off of for the nacelles. And it flys great ive built one. Just a reference set of plans that might help

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks for the ideas guys. I have a clear plan in my head of what/how I want to accomplish the design, so let's see if it all comes together or if I work myself in a corner. Haha.

I finished designing beta 1 of the speed wing and standard wing last night. I also got the hstab and vstab done. Originally I had expected to make the nnA-10 with rudder but I can't figure out a way to hide the servos well enough.

Anyone has any thoughts of how I can hide them while making both rudder surfaces functional?

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks for the ideas guys. I have a clear plan in my head of what/how I want to accomplish the design, so let's see if it all comes together or if I work myself in a corner. Haha.

I finished designing beta 1 of the speed wing and standard wing last night. I also got the hstab and vstab done. Originally I had expected to make the nnA-10 with rudder but I can't figure out a way to hide the servos well enough.

Anyone has any thoughts of how I can hide them while making both rudder surfaces functional?

Really i think it flys great without one. havent seen really any with one but maybe you could hide the coffee straw in the foam of the hstab and use a push rod to the other side. Really not sure a nice way with two vstabs

SanderHG

Is it big enough to hide a pair of micro servos in the vertical stabilizer, like this?:

2vrsck5.jpg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yeah that was my first idea, but it's not big enough. With a wing span of 40in the hstab is pretty thin. If I beefed it up it would look very out of proportion.

If you don't mind, would you send me a few shots of the mid section of that model? I'm having a hard time finding good angles of the motor mounts and fuse lines behind the wing.

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
My plan of attack was to stick it in the very back of the tail and just run the control arm out the tip of the tail. Either run it through a linkage stopper or z-bend it through the control arm and just keep it going from one rudder to the other with the servo in the middle.

Rudder Control Scheme.png

This picture only shows one side but you could Z-bend it through the control arm and go all the way to the other side with it. What I did in the model here was run the control rod to one side and run another between the two to synchronize it but that's unnecessary.

SanderHG

Yeah that was my first idea, but it's not big enough. With a wing span of 40in the hstab is pretty thin. If I beefed it up it would look very out of proportion.

If you don't mind, would you send me a few shots of the mid section of that model? I'm having a hard time finding good angles of the motor mounts and fuse lines behind the wing.

Sure, no problem. I'll take some pics tomorrow. Any other areas you want a picture of?

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
My plan of attack was to stick it in the very back of the tail and just run the control arm out the tip of the tail. Either run it through a linkage stopper or z-bend it through the control arm and just keep it going from one rudder to the other with the servo in the middle.

View attachment 31779

This picture only shows one side but you could Z-bend it through the control arm and go all the way to the other side with it. What I did in the model here was run the control rod to one side and run another between the two to synchronize it but that's unnecessary.

This is an interesting approach. I will keep this in mind and see if it might work but I think as of right now I'm just going to leave the rudder out of the build.

TTMR

A leaf on the wind
Slightly oversized linkage stopper with the link from each rudder passed through it with the servo installed as above. Allows for adjustibility.

llebreknit1

The A10 is a great idea and I've been following this closely and made the A-10 with slightly modified ideas but props to the easy design of the airplane. I actually scaled it down about 15% or so but here's the final product. The twin rudder servo idea is pictured as well. I also went dual aileron for flaperons for landings. No flight test just yet but it should be fun one way or another. Thanks for sharing the plans. I also have pics along the way of how I assembled and input my own ideas but not to detract from the original plans.
IMG_5128.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5111.jpg
    IMG_5111.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
Last edited: