nnDLG

AdamV

When i made mine, i just plugged 1s battery directly into the receiver and never had an issue running 4 servos. I beleive there's some discussion on DLG threads about doing this on RC groups. The main problem i had with the nnDLG was that the pod ultimately did not last more than 20-30 throws before it exploded during launch.

I've returned to reading this thread and may the nnDLG build another whirl.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I wasn't able to do anymore testing this week yet. You guys will be the first to know as I continue testing :)

Kingwolf44

I've attempted a similar thing with a kf-step in the past, but I didn't have to dedication to it that you have! Good stuff!

flyboa

Elite member
I tested my glider today. The rudder did not feel very effective but it did glide nice.

image.jpeg

A quick mod should do the trick.

image.jpeg

I increased the size of the rudder and elevator. The simple folded wing is nice and I didn't bother tapering the trailing edge.

Last edited:

flyboa

Elite member
Maiden

I made this wing without a spar but still similar to the NNDLG design.

Last edited:

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
That looks like a pretty good flier. You need to program in some flight modes, though. That flat launch is really killing performance. You could easily get it twice as high with an elevator preset. Also a camber mode would be good for reducing the glide sink rate.

I noticed on your previous video that it looked like your elevator throws are much too small. With full down elevator, the trailing edge of the elevator should contact the boom. That gives you enough travel to shove the nose over at the last minute without stalling. Any stall on launch is very costly for performance. On a composite DLG, that can account for a good 10-15 seconds of lost flight time.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
^

Can attest from my noob experiences at flite fest. You need enough elevator to shove the plane around.

Straight from the mouth of Mr. Land Out. :D

Honestly, you did well for as a complete noob at DLG flying that twitchy beast in such gusty conditions. At least it finally has elevator mixing with the flaps so it's not as nasty to land now.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
This is starting to get my brain going again ... I've been able to make a mini-DLG, foamboard wing and paper-straw fuse, foam/paper tails, for an AUW around 40g. Trouble is, it's not very durable or lasting. But you've started me thinking of ways to incorporate thin CF rod (1mm ish) and foamboard for a light and rigid construction .... I'll get back to ya. ;)

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Alright, I'm going to have to give one of these a shot. I don't want to dish out $200+ for a composite bird, and the nn type DLG seems to work just fine. I do want to put the elevator in front of the stab because of some research into the field.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Alright, I'm going to have to give one of these a shot. I don't want to dish out $200+ for a composite bird, and the nn type DLG seems to work just fine. I do want to put the elevator in front of the stab because of some research into the field.

Please share! I haven't tested since I was having brownouts on my ESC. The latest build is solid though so I expect it will work.