• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

nnP-39 XXL

#1
nnp39.jpg

I'm building a 3 meter nnP-39.

I just follow the design from Nerdnic but had to adjust because of the size.
The engine will be a DLE120 with a 28x10 prop. It is a gas engine which works wel on foam :)

It must be transportable
15.jpg

The wings have two wooden spars and can be split for transportation.
09.jpg

The wings are filled with polyurethane foam. Bit tricky to do but the result is amazing.
14.jpg

I will keep you posted!
 
Last edited:
#6
Was not my plan. But you're right, it would be very very cool to have retracts.

When this one is finished i'll buy a 20CC gas engine and build a plane for it. That will be about 1,6 meter and I think I should put retracts in that. Have to design the wing spars so the wheels fit in between I believe.

Thank you Nerdnic for your designs and for your kind words!
 
Last edited:
#7
I made some progress. All controls are done and working.
Elevators (two servos) rudder, ailerons and flaps.
1.jpg

Those are 16KG servo's. I think it is overkill especially because I have two for the elevator but in a way it makes life easy. Made a power rail by simply cutting all red and black wires from the cables and soldered the together.
All is powered by a LiFe battery. I really like those, no worries about sufficient amps but you need high voltage servo's.
4.jpg

Custom control horn
3.jpg

Next: landing gear.
 
Last edited:
#10
Those gas struts are so cheap I bought some more so I can vary the up to 300N per wheel. Now I have 250N per wheel (25Kg)
On my nnChipmunk I mounted it all to the foamboard fuselage by gluing in woodscrews into to foam.
That worked very well. Had some hard landings and a crash (mid air collision) with the nnChipmunk but the wooden plate stayed well in place and connected. The holes in the wooden plate will have the screws.
1.jpg

Fully mounted. They are still removable.
2.jpg

Next: Power pod
 
#11
I made a lot of progress.

Start of building the swappable power pod. All is epoxy glued and screwed
0.jpg

Finished swappable power pod. The corners are reinforced. Hope all will be strong enough.
Those mounted mufflers you get with your engine but they do not muffle much (I bought a krumscheid muffler, see last pic).
1.jpg

Running! The thrust with full gas is enormous and scary for sure :eek:!
2.jpg

So I bought myself a krumscheid muffler and two comfort headers (unbelievably expensive but a difference of night and day compared with the factory 'things').
3.jpg

Interesting angle.
4.jpg

Next: I have a list of small things to do including some painting to make the pane more resistible to moist.
It looks like next week we have some calm days soooo.. maiden of the 'raw' plane probably next week!
 
Last edited:
#17
That looks pretty freaking awesome! Is the exhaust going to come out of the side of the turtle deck?
Yes it will. The original plan was to have the exhaust on the bottom but my landing gear kind of got in the way. I guess I can get away with it like it is now though, the curve that holds the muffler is actually in nerdnics design.
 
#18
Ready to fly but not finished. Have to do more paining and make a cowling but the weather is good so tomorrow we'll fly.

One needs a lot of paint for an XXL plane :)
1.jpg

@nerdnic. The way you designed that canopy man! What a smart, well thought and working design. My absolute compliments! By the way, I used 3mm foamboard here for strength.
2.jpg

The hatch has the final paint. The lighter grey is ground paint. I like that color but I do not think you can use it as normal paint. The hatch is longer as in the design. When you take of the hatch you can reach the servos.
3.jpg

Look at the couch or the stove to get an idea of its size :)
4.jpg

next: maiden.
 
Last edited: