nnP-39 XXL

shiitake

So... It fits in the car, that is good news!

1.jpg

I can look over the back of the plane in my mirror and use the clutch at the same time :)

2.jpg

And... a short

Had an issue with my wheels, long story but one of them blocked (you can see it on the video on takeoff but definitely after the landing when it turns around its ax).

next: fix wheels, fix the hood (make the hole for the exhaust a bit bigger), make a cowling, adjust engine.

Edit: ah... I forgot the fairlings so will do them too

Last edited:

shiitake

Tnx all!

Do you get nervous flying a plane this big for the first time? Is this your biggest plane?
Can not remember exactly but nothing too bad. The big ones don't fly more difficult than the 100% ones, I already knew that. I did some taxiing and that felt just natural so i was kind of comfortable flying it.

Yes, it is my biggest and it will stay the biggest for a while. The next one that will be bigger will not have a receiver or servo's.

Another fit in car pic.. I like fit in car pics :D

1.jpg

shiitake

So I'm working on the cowling. When you have a cowling and not too much space after the cylinders I think you need to force the air over the cooling fins. That is what I am trying to do here. When no cowling all is good but with the experience of the nnChipmunk it needs airflow (the foamboard is template, i will make those parts from wood).

1.jpg

This is a poster board ducttape cowling. Idea was to use that as a template but now I think I'll try it like it is. When flying nobody will see :)
todo: Have to cut the wood that attaches the cowling a bit and paint it black or gray.

2.jpg

This is how my nnP -39 looks now. The Cowling is not finished here but I wanted to have an impression of it's looks.

3.jpg

So still have to finish the cowling and probably fly Wednesday again.

P.S. I read somebody was complaining about the landing gear I made. When you want to buy a retractable landing gear for a plane this size it is very, very expensive and not in the 'idea' of how I like to build RC planes. I like building from 'normal stuff'. It would be a challenge to develop and build a retractable landing gear 'from scratch' without having a lot of tooling. Maybe I will see the light and find a way to do that but until now I have not.

Last edited:

CaptBill

Very cool looking.
I'm impressed with the landing gear, actually I'm impressed with any duo landing gear that works and this is doubly so on a plane this large. You may have already said so but what is the power output off your engine?

shiitake

Tnx! It's not in the right place and the plane should have a nose wheel and should be retractable, that was the criticism was but hey :) ....

DLE 120, 12HP but still has to run in and has to be tuned after that.
I think I need another prop though. Now it has a 28x10 but I want to try 26x12 or 27x12 for more speed.

Last edited: