nnP-39 XXL

shiitake

Today I crash landed my 3m (120") nnP39 due to engine failure.
Because of the gas struts hardly any damage! (one rivet popped out).

To fun not to share this picture though.

2017-09-26 15.29.33 (1280x782).jpg

Greetings from Holland!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Spectacular!

It looks like you reinforced the engine area a bit. any pics of that?

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
The landing gear and exposed cylinder heads make this plane look very rugged! Awesome project.

shiitake

Spectacular!

It looks like you reinforced the engine area a bit. any pics of that?

It's a new cowling. I made if from glass-fiber, the other cowling passed away.

The original engine mount is still there. Dunno if I ever made pics of that but never had problems with it, neither on my other two foam-gas planes.

2017-09-30 18.36.26 (1280x960).jpg

shiitake

Can you provide any details of how you filled the wings with poly-foam?

Sorry for the late reply.

I used quality poly foam, a friend gave it to me.

2017-10-29 11.26.14 (900x1200).jpg

It says on the cylinder that it will expand only 2x after you have put it in and that is reasonably true.
I do not think its possible with the other cheap stuff I can buy here in Holland. That goes ballistic after you put it in for up to an hour or even longer! You need the quality type of it I think.

Anyways. I made about 8 square over the length of the wing, about 1x1 inch the Peter Sripol way. Have the knife in a 45° angle when you cut.
You can then glue the pieces you removed really nice back in later. The idea was to have the holes relief the pressure when the foam expands and that worked well.

For this big wing it totally did the job. Without the foam it would be too flimsy. Now it is really tough!

Cheers

P.S. It also works nice in your tail section when you have too much torque.

shiitake

1 (800x599).jpg

Well, made a mistake. The plane, because of its size seemed closer than it was in reality.
I am not sad, it was too big to store and I was thinking on how to get rid of her. Now it's easy.

2 (800x600).jpg

The salvage squad.

3 (800x600).jpg

I like the look of crashed nn-P39's

4 (800x600).jpg

And I was scared I did not make the wings strong enough!

It was a lot of fun to build but flying... I think 1.6 to 2 meter is a more fun size.
Smaller planes need smaller engines to fly fast. I'm thinking of putting this 120CC DLE into a 2.2 meter plane.