No power to receiver?

BellyUpFish

OK, long story short, my Naze32 has what appears to be a dead Pin #3.

So, I ran a custom mix and got Pin 5 replicating pin 3, so I'm all good there.

I was following the Flite Test Naze32 setup video and at the point where I calibrated all the ESC's via the motors page in CF, (I think this is where it happened) I lost the power to my receiver.

I just doubled checked the receiver is working via other power methods and it does indeed power up, will bind, etc.

I'm attempting to go PPM out of a DX8 to an Orange 615X. I've got a single pigtail coming off the Naze32 at GND corresponding to ground, * corresponding to positive and the "1" pin corresponding to signal on the pig tail.

I'm also running F-12A Fire Red ESC's with 5v BEC's.

I am able to power the quad up via Cleanflight and check motor settings. I have CF configured for PPM out of the board.

Why did my power all the sudden drop out of the Naze32 to my RX?

I'm about to just tap off pin 6 for 5v power.

My current settings:

# Cleanflight/NAZE 1.9.0 May 31 2015 / 13:17:47 (98f7549)
# dump master

# mixer
mixer CUSTOM
cmix 1 1.000 -1.000 1.000 -1.000
cmix 2 1.000 -1.000 -1.000 1.000
cmix 3 1.000 1.000 1.000 1.000
cmix 4 1.000 1.000 -1.000 -1.000
cmix 5 1.000 1.000 1.000 1.000
cmix 6 0 0 0 0

# feature
feature -RX_PPM
feature -VBAT
feature -INFLIGHT_ACC_CAL
feature -RX_SERIAL
feature -MOTOR_STOP
feature -SERVO_TILT
feature -SOFTSERIAL
feature -GPS
feature -FAILSAFE
feature -SONAR
feature -TELEMETRY
feature -CURRENT_METER
feature -3D
feature -RX_PARALLEL_PWM
feature -RX_MSP
feature -RSSI_ADC
feature -LED_STRIP
feature -DISPLAY
feature -ONESHOT125
feature -BLACKBOX
feature RX_PPM
feature VBAT
feature MOTOR_STOP
feature FAILSAFE

# map
map TAER1234

Thanks guys

Last edited:

NHS77

If I understand your issue correctly:

As far as I'm aware ppm needs to be hooked up to G, V, #1. (Pin #1 being the third pin in the upper row but marked as #1). I'm not sure switchig pins around will work for this. Try using PWM. If the third pin (throttle signal in PWM is dead) everything should work other than throttle inputs... this just to verify what is going on...

Other than that a custom mix should apply to your motor layout not channel mapping... that's what i have used it for anyway.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I would check all of your solder connections on the headers.
It sounds like you already have a problem with some of the connections.
There is also a tiny wire trace from the +5 on the Receiver Header to the Output side. See if this is cut or burned.
Try powering the Naze through the Receiver.

Best regards,
PCH

BellyUpFish

I would check all of your solder connections on the headers.
It sounds like you already have a problem with some of the connections.
There is also a tiny wire trace from the +5 on the Receiver Header to the Output side. See if this is cut or burned.
Try powering the Naze through the Receiver.

Solder connections are testing good, with the exception of Pin #3. I've got a short between the signal and negative connection. Not sure what's going on there, but that's sorted out for the moment with the custom mix.

I am getting 5v out of all my ESC's to the Naze32.

Solder joints on the PPM cable are also good, but I'm only reading 2.55v out of the Naze32 on the PPM header, which is why my receiver isn't powering up. Just not enough juice.

Just to attempt to isolate the issue, I went ahead and reflashed the firmware back fresh and am still only getting 2.55v out of the Naze on the PPM pigtail.

Seems like the issue is in the Naze.

I'm thinking about just running the ground and + off of Pin #6 to the receiver.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Hmmm - you should only have ONE of your ESCs powering the Naze.
Having all 4 BECs connected can have some ill effects.
I use all Opto-ESCs (no BEC) and have to supply power from a single dedicated BEC through the receiver.

Best regards,
PCH

BellyUpFish

Well, maybe that's the issue. I could look into disabling the BEC on 3 of the 4.

I wonder if that would cause the issue with the voltage out of the Naze to the RX?

jaskoller

Bringing back this topic as I'm still a little confused. So I have a BEC that will power my 250 quad. Does that BEC power the Naze32 and the Naze32 powers the receiver, or does the BEC power the receiver and the Receiver powers the Naze32? Or do I connect the BEC to both the receiver and the Naze? I thought I had this figured out, and the more posts I read the more confused I get!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Does that BEC power the Naze32 and the Naze32 powers the receiver, or does the BEC power the receiver and the Receiver powers the Naze32?

Yes.

Actually they share a power bus, so there's not much difference in connecting the UBEC to the Naze power rail or the RX power rail.

The only reason you'd prefer one over the other (besides convenience) is if you're running close to brown-out voltage on your RX. That's not typically a problem on servo-less multirotors.